RMweb

Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

The 158 is a first great western Unit in a promotional livery for Gunwharf Quays shopping

It was advertising something to do with somerset children centres

Not anymore, It is indeed now as Jim say's in special livery for the North Somerset based 'Springboard' children's charity. Good on FGW & First for promoting charities like this - First Kernow still has a dart branded up for the RNLI.

Cracking set of photos as usual Jim!

• RMweb Gold

some more from today, had another trip to worcester

caught a LM service to smethwick galton bridge

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

up to the high level for the train to worcester

DSCF0042.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

and on to worcester where i had a look round for a while before heading off to oxford to pick my van back up!

HST heading towards hereford

DSCF0051.jpg

banjo signal 1/2 way down the platform

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0054.jpg

170/153 heading towards dorridge, note the route indicator below the signal

DSCF0057.jpg

my train then dropped in, a lovely 166 unit across the cotswolds to oxford, didnt bother with any pics though

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

60087 continued southwards today. (Accoring to informed sources.... ;-) it should be coming off at Farington curve and heading back north)

Here it is climbing past Langho station with our very own friendly Colas driver in the hot seat.

post-408-0-50147600-1432828051_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

60087 continued southwards today. (Accoring to informed sources.... ;-) it should be coming off at Farington curve and heading back north)

Here it is climbing past Langho station with our very own friendly Colas driver in the hot seat.

attachicon.gif60087 6V37 150518.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

It appears to be coming off at Warrington now - it's just gone past mine in Wigan!

Nice pic by the way. It caught me unawares as I wasn't expecting 60087 to still be on. I'll be watching for it coming back light though...

Edited by EastMidlander

• RMweb Gold

Fuelling is something which needs very careful attention on 60s are they are very consumption sensitive depending on the work they are doing.  When they first came out we were given very specific mileage figures for every diagram they worked and they were remarkably accurate - one day the Driver who arrived at Langley with the Immingham tanks decided that he didn't need to go to Old Oak for fuel as booked 'because there was plenty showing on the gauge'. Sure enough on the back working the loco ran out of fuel, a mere 7 miles from the point where Derby train performance folk had predicted it would run out of fuel. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some from today

Assessing a couple of drivers on the logs, 66849 up front on its own today

Arriving into carlisle

311329BF-6D3F-4FD9-85BE-6798E72B05E0.jpg

And into chirk

D71AFD94-FA06-475E-93E8-E445E6A6DEC8.jpg

Where the WAG came through (still from a vid i took)

16E48348-E199-4C06-B790-4EDE4DA1729A.png

From there i headed home for a good night sleep, bescot to banbury tomorrow!!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Jim, re the refuelling. Do you know if the locos use something like Adblue or is it regular diesel?

There aren't any loco's in the UK that use an Adblue system- yet. The biggest stumbling block would be the infrastructure needed for filling locos with the stuff and then theres the hassle of adding tanks and all the associated equipment into our small loco bodies and small loading gauge.

Anything that does use  Adblue (like road diesels) still use regular diesel though, its not a fuel additive.

As its a chemical derivative of Urea and deionised water, it would not mix with diesel.

Its injected into the exhaust gas which lowers NOX emissions in the fumes. Turns the NOX into steam and water vapour or something like that.

• RMweb Premium

UREA?? That's found in Pee that explains why truck drivers don't stop for one! :jester:

Aye, there's also the common myth that its pig's pee, it isn't that either. :D

Funnily enough (or not - depending on your viewpoint) I have some scarring up and down my right leg including the sole of my foot which I have rub a heavy duty creme into (to soften up the keloid tissue) the base of that creme is Sheep Urea....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

UREA?? That's found in Pee that explains why truck drivers don't stop for one! :jester:

I believe there's sensors in the Adblue system on trucks to check that they aren't doing that (as it's not the right/ controlled dosage)! Think they probably put the truck into limp mode, which means the driver has to go to his nearest dealer and explain why it's throwing up that particular faultcode...

Good to see you've got onto the 60's at last Jim!

• RMweb Gold

a few from last night....

bescot to banbury, which actually turned out to be fenny compton!

what can we see through the rectangular window

AE59BBE1-B101-4470-A277-15BEA0BA6F4B.jpg

2 of us had to shunt 50% of the colas class 70 fleet last night, 3 trains to depart, 2 top and tail and one solo (70801,802,804,807 and 808)

16CF5422-BE6D-47A4-8BAB-5DCD23C81E57.jpg

70801 ready to depart

3FBC4E12-EB2E-408A-A613-68C5210ED25D.jpg

signaller dropped a ball last night, it was important we left before 6P06 as he was going into a possession that was being set up once we passed through leamington spa, so we left before it only for new st box to put me in at birmingham international and send it past me there, apparently trust was showing him going first, contradicting the ballast notices!

i then ended up following him all the way to kenilworth where they put him in for me to pass him again, got through leamington 30 late in the end, over to fenny and shut down the train, then the mile walk from the loco to the access gate in the rain!

back in this afternoon to work it back to bescot, then a week off, yay!

Edited by big jim
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

then the mile walk from the loco to the access gate in the rain!

Aye, I had some of that last night too! :D Hard to believe we are now into June, well almost.

• RMweb Gold

just one pic from yesterday, track renewals at banbury 70s top and tail

235AC859-F4E2-4AE5-9712-FCBFDE605840.jpg

got finished at 03:30 after dealing with a problem at my destination

todays job, pass to carlisle to collect my van where i left it on friday then off til sunday

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

no but some drivers do, or leave them at locations and take the keys which causes problems for the rest of us who turn up to find a  locked up van and have to book a taxi, its actually a big issue at the moment