Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

yes, they do run as class 6 (60mph) that train normally has a couple of VGA and HEA wagons tagged to the rear from arpley too, sometimes TTA wagons as well

Excellent pictures and information as always Jim!

Do you know what the VGA and HEA's are carrying?

The HEAs carry shingle from somewhere in southern England to Scotland; I suspect the VGA/VKAs are carrying the sort of thing that MoDplod would prefer you didn't know about..

Southampton - I'm lead to believe that it's a contract for B&Q. Does make a nice change to see a handful of HEA Hoppers bouncing around the network again, even if it's not behind a 56 or 37 carrying household coal!

Bushes so big they could almost be growing "weed" as a sideline business.

Very true! - maybe Colas could come up with a new type of train, extending the concept of the log trains they already operate. As opposed to being loaded up at a specific loading point, this new train would collect the logs & (bushes) which in many places are growing out of control from the lineside EN ROUTE!

The current railway would look so much more professional without all this overgrown lineside vegetation. NetworkRail do seem to have made a start in places but there is so much more to do.... 

Got to say that the photo of the pendo going away in the rain is beautiful. The pair of pics of the voyagers also. I have found taking pics in that kind of rain always difficult, but as you have shown, when done right, the effect is dramatic.

Have to agree with this statement excellent pictures ........ it also reminds of my days on the OLE,s during TV4 tracking 'back in the day' ....it was always raining there then. Seeing the overheads like that makes you realise how much metalwork there is up there  :scared:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see a train at Crewe for Northampton; they didn't run when I lived in Northampton.

Well they are london midland trains so its touch and go as to whether they run nowdays too!!

• RMweb Gold

just a couple from last night, iphone pics from hereford

60085 again, got to say, this is the best of the fleet, runs beautifully

FBE93883-7FCC-4910-B7B8-AEE68E408EF9.jpg

not the best shot as it was going dark and the digital zoom on the iphone is awful, 66118 on a morton on lugg stone service, shame the first 2 wagons hadnt been repainted (and yes it was safe for me to be stood in the track as my train was stood next to me blocking the route!)

4EDDA0AD-F09F-47C6-945A-E6B4181BDF69.jpg

had a good run, left hereford pretty much on time and the first stop was chirk station, it was touch and go at chester as that was the first place i saw a red on the whole trip but i kept it creeping along so they pulled off by the time i got to the magnet!

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

a few from yesterday, basford hall to hinksey and back to bescot

Great pics as usual Jim. In the third pic (of the 66 shunting) the trackwork looks a bit dodgy. I thought at first the second fully visible wagon was derailed, it's so far below the one behind it.

Edited by rab
  • Like 2