Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at your last picture Jim

How can that clown who wrote an article about liveries he's designed in railway mag the other month think that HST looks good? What a dog's breakfast of a livery compared to the BR ones especially the original

Guest B Exam

Is that a DBSO (RTOV) on both ends of the rake Jim?

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, 9701 & 9708.

I can blame Jim for going off route on 1Q51.... Stood at Rearsby for them only for them to go via Leicester, then 3Z01 Going Derby-Doncaster and again avoiding me by not going via Leicester as originally booked....

Edited by B Exam

Jim, super pics as always, they have given me a real insight of the railway outside the confines of Huntington Station. This batch has two which intrigue me. Your shots of the Voyager and the 90 heading south, what are the small grey boxes with coiled pipes either side of the tracks, they seem to be growing just like normal weeds there are so many? Also, your shot of the 56 and 08 humping! What are the green roofed boxes with a sort of fuel pump attachment. Thank you, I look forward to your posts, I look for them each day. David

• RMweb Gold

Cracking photos, Jm.

In the first couple or three at Piccadilly, is that a loco release crossover?

Still in use?

And if so, what uses it?

Regards

Ian

yes it is/was a loco release, i dont suppose anything would use it now

anyway some from today, crewe to carlisle

these were in crewe when i got there heading off to derby

DSCF2778.jpg

and my train

DSCF2779.jpg

wigan, did the underpass move into platform 1 again

DSCF2780.jpg

and into carlisle

DSCF2781.jpg

DSCF2782.jpg

DSCF2783.jpg

one of those jobs today that i really enjoyed, been getting a bit fed up of class 37s as its all i seem to have driven the last few months but today was a good one as it was a 90mph max train and in places where i could do that i wound it up to speed (line speed and train configuration have to be taken into account as in places i'm limited below line speed) it certainly makes you have to think about the fluctuating speeds on the northern end of the WCML so you hit them right, something you dont have to think about on a 60mph freight   

and away home in my van!

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Jim, super pics as always, they have given me a real insight of the railway outside the confines of Huntington Station. This batch has two which intrigue me. Your shots of the Voyager and the 90 heading south, what are the small grey boxes with coiled pipes either side of the tracks, they seem to be growing just like normal weeds there are so many? Also, your shot of the 56 and 08 humping! What are the green roofed boxes with a sort of fuel pump attachment. Thank you, I look forward to your posts, I look for them each day. David

the grey boxes are LED light units for illuminating the pointwork during night time P way work

the green boxes on etches park are fresh water supplies to top up the toilets etc on units 

Many thanks Jim for the tones and wave today! Here's a pic and a video...on your note about winding it up, we heard you for about 2 minutes before you came into view, it was incredible!

post-21664-0-02563000-1472586090_thumb.jpg

post-21664-0-30278300-1472586092_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 12

the grey boxes are LED light units for illuminating the pointwork during night time P way work

the green boxes on etches park are fresh water supplies to top up the toilets etc on units 

Thank you Jim, much obliged. David

the pics come out well when you consider i was doing 90mph at that point

...And considering I was taking the forward shots one handed because I was waving! :P

Well they were still great regardless, so cheers!

Jack.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

what are the small grey boxes with coiled pipes either side of the tracks, they seem to be growing just like normal weeds there are so many?

Illumination (LEDs) for night time point maintenance.

Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Just one from tonight, had to do a transit move from Peterborough to derby via Melton Mowbray, nowt special, another DBSO move!

135C0011-2830-4234-ABB5-CC5DD99E0820.jpg

37175 on the rear, that's my train for my job this evening too, off round the dark side to Kidderminster via new st then off to shrewsbury and walsall amongst other places

Edited by big jim
  • Like 11

37175 on the rear, that's my train for my job this evening too, off round the dark side to Kidderminster via new st then off to shrewsbury and walsall amongst other places

I see you went via the really dark side snowhill rather than new street. Was waiting to signal you on my panel (washwood heath in the wmsc) thinking that id have at least one proper train to signal lol

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see you went via the really dark side snowhill rather than new street. Was waiting to signal you on my panel (washwood heath in the wmsc) thinking that id have at least one proper train to signal lol

sorry about that, when i got the paperwork it showed us transit from tyseley to smethwick jn so i spoke to control to see if we could take the shorter direct route via snow hill rather than having to thread our way round new st to galton jn, we did come back into new st though en route to shrewsbury, changed ends in platform 3 and away to wolves (and ultimatly shrewsbury) from there

• Like 2

For someone who 'doesn't do' heritage railways, that's some pretty comprehensive coverage, Jim!

Thank You - an excellent set of pics and great video content also

Edited by s182ggu

Almost missed seeing the TRU in Banbury, caught the relection in the glass so ran down the stairs! (I was in the blue Chiltern HiViz)

But got a few pics to help with doing my model. And now have a perfect excuse to put a Little Jim in the cab of it too.

Alistair

• Like 2