What's with all the coloured buttons below each post?

At the risk of a response from Martin ♥♡☤☞☜☂✖.

The "new" icons look mo' better, mo' useful, mo' understandable and user friendly from a tablet?

Thanks, Andy.

From the land where the "English" language is still fluid and changing for the better and worse....comes, Pete.

• RMweb Premium

They're back now I've just reloaded the page.

As I clear everything on closing FF, when I logged in in the past ten minutes or so they would have had to be downloaded again anyway at that point which was why I was worried that I couldn't see them.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Can we have more changes / innovations to the appearance of the web-site?

It causes a better class of frothing and is infinitely preferable to a "gauge war", far more fun!!

Take care Don - next thing we know we'll be getting a wishlist for the things and a thread guessing which ones Andy will be introducing for Brunel's birthday or the Chinese New Year.

So maybe the circle K could stand for 'kut the kackle' (sorreeeee, hat, coat etc...)

I did a minor size change to the icons about 30 mins ago Ian; do they come back after a browser refresh?

For me right now "Tx" is smaller than the others. They all seem to be smaller than before. (I do like the smaller size.)

I understand Andy has been having misgivings over the desirability of the new system, and is about to announce a new version based on bellcodes:

1-2 Oh, no, not you again!

1-2-2 Already covered by 95 threads on the same subject. Try using the forum search

1-3-1 Kiss my chuddies

3-1-1 You have missed the point completely

2-2-1 Call attention

3-2 I nearly clicked the like button, but your last sentence was just too much

5 Unfitted brain entering section

3 Yes, yes, you've said that already

4-1 I want to have your babies

1-4 Warning: Kenton and Martin are about to enter the same section

3-2-5 Could you repeat that in English, please?

4 We will despatch a breakdown train to you as soon as possible

3-1 Try Google instead

1-3 No one is sure why you have made your post

3-1-3 Use a screwdriver?

2-3 Attention refused

6-6 Please wait for the next exciting software upgrade

2-1-3 Interesting, but stoopid

5-5 Totally gratuitous insult, but I laughed and thoroughly enjoyed your post

1-5-5 Please shunt yourself onto a siding to allow the thread to continue

Fully paid-up Luddite here - I really can't see the point of all these buttons.  It's also confusing as the notification of being awarded buttons (ah, bless) is the same as when in receipt of a private message.

Are these buttons collectible, can they be swapped between members, and is there a prize for the first post to collect a complete set?

They remind me of the enamel pin badges that a certain class of trainspotter used to sport (before my time, cough, cough), or what Boy Scouts used to sew on to their woggles.

As for the K in a circle, it's the nearest thing to the Ban the Bomb symbol beloved of Mods, so perhaps it should be a sign to allert the Mods of the other kind, if you catch my drift.

BTW, I'm getting the same scrolling problem as Jon (IE9 on this machine).  I also find that on certain posts there's an "x" below the buttons, that seems to be a facility to ignore a member - it seems to appear and disappear at random as I scroll through the messages, but for some reason won't let me ignore Andy Y's posts.

• RMweb Gold
I also find that on certain posts there's an "x" below the buttons, that seems to be a facility to ignore a member - it seems to appear and disappear at random as I scroll through the messages

It's not random -- it appears while your mouse is over that post and disappears when it moves over a different post.

It's not available for members who haven't set a signature.

Martin.

It's also confusing as the notification of being awarded buttons (ah, bless) is the same as when in receipt of a private message.

You can turn that off, under your profile go "My Settings", and select the notification tab, where there is the option for "Notify me when someone rates my content" Remove the tick under notification column.

Unfortunately no "opt out of content rating" option. 

Which browser and version are you using Jon?

Hi Andy,

At work with NR it's IE8 on windows xp and home its Windows 8 and IE9. It's a bit better on the latter with the odd problem with it of odd things overlaying others but at work it's as I stated previously.

JF

• RMweb Gold

Well, they're all a kind of grey colour...

Eh glad its not just me that has the buttons in grey, had them in colour  yesterday now grey ?

Using Firefox 20.0.1

It's not random -- it appears while your mouse is over that post and disappears when it moves over a different post.

It's not available for members who haven't set a signature.

Martin.

In Firefox - if you click on the 'X' and then you have to adjust the rh edge of frame, you get a little drop down menu allowing you to ignore signatures (it just replaces sig with white space. Don't know how to turn sigs back on, though.

Best wishes,

Ray

ps the clever icon - the screwdriver makes it look like it is forbidden (crossed out) and  as mentioned Tx is a tad smaller otherwise pretty straightforward, but I'm not sure of what it achieves, since I would think if interested you would post a reply, particularly if multi selection of icons required, and if there is any 'scoring', then those posts will not be easily included.

Archived