Bachmann Stanier mogul

Sam*45110*SVR

Thinking on getting one and renumbering to Gorton alocated one, Gorton locos frequently visited Walton shed which I am building so I cant see it being unreasonable that they would have visited.

42949 - 26/03/1954 - Liverpool Walton-on-the-Hill shed

At the time she was allocated to Brunswick.

• Like 1

Further info from the same book, that some might find useful. In November 1963 Horwich deferred responsibility of the class to Swindon due to the run-down to closure, only 8 were dealt with there (42945/53/4/8/61/75/8/83 ), and running in turns were freight trips to Westbury, probably the extreme south-westerly for the use of thee class .

Although the list of Stanier Crabs receiving attention at Swindon does indeed include 2958, there is nothing within the SMF Archive to support this, and no ominous gaps in the sightings when it might have happened.

• RMweb Gold

Thinking on getting one and renumbering to Gorton alocated one, Gorton locos frequently visited Walton shed which I am building so I cant see it being unreasonable that they would have visited.

Didn't some spend a short time at Aintree as they were being displaced from the WCML around 1961?

Although the list of Stanier Crabs receiving attention at Swindon does indeed include 2958, there is nothing within the SMF Archive to support this, and no ominous gaps in the sightings when it might have happened.

Although the RCTS book doesn't give dates at Swindon, the Irwell book lists it as May 1964, while it was on loan to Rugby shed.

Sightings of the loco in May 1964:

42958 05/04/1964 Bletchley shed
42958 19/04/1964 Rugby shed
42958 19/04/1964 Rugby shed
42958 24/04/1964 Nuneaton Down goods
42958 07/05/1964 Roade
42958 09/05/1964 New England mpd
42958 16/05/1964 Willesden shed 1A
42958 19/05/1964 Wolverton Down train hauling EE Type 4
42958 19/05/1964 Bletchley Hauling Type 4 diesel
42958 20/05/1964 Aston shed
42958 24/05/1964 New England mpd

As mentioned in my previous post No 157, 42968 was used on a Wigan area railtour on 13 August 1966. ...

There's some footage of this brakevan tour on one of the B&R Videos. I think it's 98 but I might be wrong.

I've ordered an example of 42968 from Hattons, just because it'll be a nice thing to have. It could be seen pottering about the North West, I've got good memories of the engine.

Regards

• Like 2

Anyone know how to remove the horrible plastic 'coal' from the tender? Not having any luck with mine.

Alex

I think it's fixed and part of the moulding, you'd have to cut it or take my option of covering it with a thin layer of crushed real coal - big improvement. Edited by Sweeps
  • Like 1

Guest Midland Mole

I was worried that might be the case. This is the only loco I own where I have not been able to just pop it out. I will probably cover it like you suggest, as I don't want to start hacking at it with my limited modelling ability! :D

Alex

Can't help there as I do Honby Dublo three-rail(!), but the real engines had a very loud exhaust, more like a GWR Hall than a Black Five.

I too had thought this. One might get away wth using a GWR sound so long as the spitting vacuum pump sound isn't there. Even the whistle might suit on this Stanier 2-6-0. I filmed this loco speeding through Colwyn Bay one night with it's shrill whistle blowing on the approach and right through the station.

Edited by coachmann

Anyone recommend a sound chip to go in one?

South West Digital have a specific one for a Stanier Mogul.  "Stanier Mogul 2-6-0 (Generic) created from a mixture of original Stanier Mogul recordings with library sounds and provided with a choice of Stanier hooter or bell whistle as per the prototype."

Anyone know how to remove the horrible plastic 'coal' from the tender? ...

If its like the 4F it will be diecast. 

Easy to check if it is diecast, as it will feel cold relative to plastic parts (apply upper lip). I have the impression that every Bachmann loco with a speaker mounting provided in the tender has the 'diecast coal' as a ballast weight: G2A, ROD/O4, 3F, C, J11, C1,for example; and without going to check every one it is usually shown as a separate part on the assembly diagram.

If it is so close fitting that it doesn't want to be released from above, removing the tender body and slightly flexing it will break it out. 

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D