The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

Very pleasant evening spent at a car gathering very close to home, as in bottom of the lane, organised by my son's friend. American and classics, live bands til 11, reasonably priced bar and food as well.

If you're at a loose end in the Nottingham area, Google coffee n cars weekend of wheels. £10 day ticket.

• Like 4

On 15/07/2019 at 20:26, peanuts said:

saw this beauty today whilst delivering in bradford .to go back to a previous argument think it looks good on minilites (or copys)

20190715_120310.jpg

20190715_120335.jpg

So is it the last of the chrome bumpers or a rubber bumper conversion? Looks so straight it could well be a heritage rebuild.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, doilum said:

So is it the last of the chrome bumpers or a rubber bumper conversion? Looks so straight it could well be a heritage rebuild.

the pics do not do it justice was absolutely box fresh owned by the md of the company i was delivering to this being its first outing since purchase according to the loaders . am currently working on getting access to my bosses Healy 3000  historic rally car for some photos dont worry they will appear here .

• Like 2

8 hours ago, doilum said:

Reg August 1974, so probably an original chrome bumper. MGB Heritage shells apparently require a major amount of work to get them "right" and the several MGOC forum members reckon it's as easy to rebuild a reasonably solid original shell as use a new one.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

this pic of prestatyn box popped up on my faceache feed complete with Lotus Eclat ? so just had to share in here .now can anybody confirm the story of a driver performing an emergency stop after catching a glimpse of said red lotus and mistaking it for a red flag or was it an epocrafull tail 

Screenshot_20190722-223525_Facebook.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Lovely! I take it it's a J reg'd Clubman Estate backdated with a Mk1 front end and a Woodie kit...?

It was a Clubman Estate, given to my sons by my mother-in-law in 1991 (the car - even now only has 23K miles on the clock) - they were not old enough to drive, so they took it to pieces! It was Aqua Blue with a Wood look-a-like trim down the sides and on the rear door.  Many years ago, one of my sons sent the car to the local Rover/Leyland dealers bodyshop, and the chopped the front off, and all panels were replaced with mini panels - in fact everything in front of the bulkhead was replaced. There is a major cross-section attached to the front bulkhead, this had a new section let into it to take the turbo - there was a complete MG Metro Turbo engine in its front subframe also in the garage with everything attached including ventilated discs - the intention being to fit this into the shell.

I bought the car (!!)from my sons as a retirement project some years ago, but it never happened, and last year I made the decision to let it go.  M-Tech had made a Sports Pack Mini Woody some years ago, that featured in Mini World - it actually had large "wooden" rear arches.  I approached them, but decided not to have the work done, and they asked if they could have first refusal on the shell. They have made five, this will be number six, with most of the "options" the price came out at about £32K - surprisingly it was not the cost that stopped us having the car restored, but the thought that it would just sit in the garage for another twenty years.  I'm very temped to go down and see it when it's finished. I would have had it painted in Almond Green.

Edited by Bulleidboy100
  • Like 6

I came across this little oddity of a link  last night.

I particularly liked this Bitza

1955-grataloup.jpg.449546c394b68e85f3c1d6357312f2c6.jpg

built by a Frenchman the 250 7.5hp single cylinder Villiers engine is under the driver’s seat, but the air-cooled cylinder protrudes on the right side of the body. It’s normal sized twin front wheels (ex Coventry Climax fire-pump?) help it reach 52 mph. It’s the only one ever built and the builder just showed up with it one day at a  Citroen garage in France.

dh

• Like 8

Went to a local village gala recently, a large contingent of classic vehicles there as usual. 

Fords have never been a love of mine, but I photographed these oldies on site. Beware though, there are some more modern ones in here as well.

Stewart

14_f03_5061_589TKN Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

14_f03_5062_600AYH Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

14_f03_5063_A456LFL Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

14_f03_5064_ADR202 Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

14_f03_5065_APK569Y Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

14_f03_5066_B676JNT Manea 13-07-2019.JPG

• Like 15

12 hours ago, stewartingram said:

...Went to a local village gala recently, a large contingent of classic vehicles there as usual. 

Fords have never been a love of mine, but I photographed these oldies on site ...

• Ford Consul
  • Ford Zephy 6 
  • Ford Y type (£100 when new in 1934 ?)

I agree Fords have never actually been a love of mine either. Nevertheless those three above have been memorable parts of my life. 

• That Y type had those extraordinary vacuum operated wipers with a pipe from the induction manifold that went slower and slower the harder the engine worked; failing terrifyingly just when you needed them most - caught perhaps in a sudden snow shower on a busy main road.
  • Zephyrs and Zodiacs were solid tanks that could be bought for £30 or so at the start of home long leaves at the end of overseas contracts. They sold quickly for the same amount with a good few thousand trouble free miles on the clock when you landed another posting abroad 3 months later
  • But a Consul like that one at the top was the first "modern" car I was ever allowed to drive at the age of 13 - on Southport beach by my (pretend) uncle who'd been in the Eighth army in North Africa.
    He drove me down past Ainsdale to the desolate parts around Formby one winters day and let me have a go.  I was amazed at how easy it seemed with the steering column 3 speed gear lever, umbrella handbrake and bench seat - it just seemed to glide. 
    He marked out a parking bay in sea-weed and got me to reverse in and out - over and and over,
    As we drove back, he explained I'd just completed the driving training he'd done in the desert army. I could also park the only way permitted - so as to make a quick getaway whenever Rommel pitched-up unexpectedly !

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

Shame the RS turbo skidded of the road and crashed through Ripspeeds window! 

Would look so much better standard but has had holes cut and drilled in bonnet 

Would also be illegal having slightly blocked the front licence plate with the auxiliary lamps........but I’ll wager there  are few other items on that vehicle that could be found....shall we say.......”a bit moody” :lol:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

Would also be illegal having slightly blocked the front licence plate with the auxiliary lamps........but I’ll wager there  are few other items on that vehicle that could be found....shall we say.......”a bit moody” :lol:

including that stupid whaletail spoiler and none standard wheel looks like one of the tacky replicas 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, russ p said:

Shame the RS turbo skidded of the road and crashed through Ripspeeds window! 

Would look so much better standard but has had holes cut and drilled in bonnet 

There was a practically untouched one parked outside demon tweeks this afternoon, same colour, looked stunning 

• Like 3

Out and about in the van yesterday I found myself being followed by a Mk1 Consul in "barn find" cosmetic condition. He wasn't hanging about, either. I thought his idea of a safe following distance was "interesting" too, given the likely disparity between weedy 1950s drum brakes on the Consul, and the big ventilated discs worn by the Scudo :D. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

While out delivering leaflets for my business this morning, I stumbled across this beauty. Presumably it was tempted out by the unseasonably gorgeous weather today. I've never really been a Rootes fan, but I must admit to a soft spot for the Rapier, in either this or its later Arrow derived guise. 

IMG_20190802_105630.jpg

• Like 15

8 hours ago, PatB said:

Out and about in the van yesterday I found myself being followed by a Mk1 Consul in "barn find" cosmetic condition. He wasn't hanging about, either. I thought his idea of a safe following distance was "interesting" too, given the likely disparity between weedy 1950s drum brakes on the Consul, and the big ventilated discs worn by the Scudo :D. 

could of been  a bit of a "sleeper " theres an old zephyr around tameside that looks an absolute bag of nails from the outside but under the skin its all top quality modern running gear great watching the look of surprise as it destroys the boy racers in there modified shopping trolleys  

• Like 5