The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

It was nice to see some classics out and about this weekend despite the occasional downpours.

There was a Jaguar XK150 DHC that looked, sounded and smelt wonderful.  An Alvis TF21 and a Renault Alpine A110 (not sure I've ever seen one of those in the wild before).  Sadly no pics as I was either driving or it was pelting down with rain at the time.

Oh and a couple of old 'bikes; a single-cylinder Ariel and a Triumph twin (don't know enough to identify them more than that).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, johnlambert said:

a Renault Alpine A110 (not sure I've ever seen one of those in the wild before)

Then I am luckier than you, unconnected with living in France. In 1974 I saw one in Croydon, I think registered 2013TT75, so Parisian. 

• Like 4

The sound of 'works' Renault Alpines blasting their way through one of the Forest of Dean night stages on an early seventies RAC Rally was something else. You could hear them when they were still a couple of miles away. Beautiful, it made standing out in the freezing cold for hours well worth while.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

The sound of 'works' Renault Alpines blasting their way through one of the Forest of Dean night stages on an early seventies RAC Rally was something else. You could hear them when they were still a couple of miles away. Beautiful, it made standing out in the freezing cold for hours well worth while.

Renault Alpines were one of my favourite cars of the era. I see that one is now available as a replica kit. Tempting!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A quick shout-out for the Solstice Car Gathering at Motcombe Showground 21 June (starting at about 4pm). Always quite a good turnout of interesting vehicles and it raises funds for the local hospital charity, STARS.

The showground is off the B3081 about 2 miles south of Gillingham (Dorset).

• Like 3

"Renault Alpine A110 (not sure I've ever seen one of those in the wild before)."

Saw some prior the start of the RAC Rally in early 1970s when they used to gather the cars at Heathrow Airport.

steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

"Renault Alpine A110 (not sure I've ever seen one of those in the wild before)."

Saw some prior the start of the RAC Rally in early 1970s when they used to gather the cars at Heathrow Airport.

steve

Myself and some mates literally fell over two of them they were that small , this was pre RAC rally ,

two were entered on a on a Motoring News round that started in Taunton , ahh those were the days ,

and as Killybegs says above the sound of then singing round country lanes in the early hours was something

else .

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Doesn't have an MOT no doubt! ;)

Aside from the obvious provisos, I do note it was last tested 7 years ago......and its previous MoT history is really rather impressive.....when compared to random selections of moderns off ebay, for example?

Probably got a tilted headlamp due to a thoughtless passer-by? [Easily remedied....unlike those of a modern?]

Given the full height [to waistline] doors, wind-up windows, etc..this must be a drophead coupe? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

Aside from the obvious provisos, I do note it was last tested 7 years ago......and its previous MoT history is really rather impressive....

Rather makes my point, though, you give excuses but I could also argue the opposite and question what other issues a thorough check-up may show... Just because it looks nice doesn't mean that it is nice (as you correctly say that comment applies to all cars on the road)... Personally if it were mine i certainly wouldn't allow it out looking like that...

• Like 1

TBH, I did suspect the Talbot's headlamp angle to be a result of an old-fashioned mechanical dip mechanism. On the subject of 1930s headlamps in general, I'm reminded of my father's story of restoring the Lucas P100s on the rather splendid 2-Litre Crossley he owned c1960. He spent quite a lot on getting the reflectors resilvered, fiddled for hours with focus adjustment, wore his fingers to stumps polishing every blemish from the lenses, wired them through a  big relay to ensure they received all the volts that could be supplied. After all that, they still couldn't compete with the common or garden 7-inch sealed beam units that were becoming the de-facto standard headlamp at the time. Which, presumably, explains all the tatty P80s and P100s I used to see at autojumbles, with sealed beam units grafted in, with varying degrees of finesse.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, alastairq said:

As I keep repeating, having a valid mot proves nothing with regards to current road worthiness. The car stood next to it like!y has faulty brake lights.  A current mot on it is worthless if that were the case. 

Worthless? Far from it, I suggest. In the event of an RTA, a current cert indicates an intention to be law-abiding. Less hassle as a result, whoever is to blame. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, alastairq said:

As I keep repeating, having a valid mot proves nothing with regards to current road worthiness. 

Same as a regular service... But many drivers don't bother with them either... At least the requirement for an MoT forces people to do something, unlike the manufacturer telling the owner that the car should be serviced every so often which can be, and often is, ignored. That's one reason as a classic car owner i was against getting rid of the requirement to have an MoT. You can say what you like, Alastair, but I'd rather we still have MoTs than not, there are too many cars already out there that are not looked after correctly as it is, at least having an annual test means that some are caught, or at least would be more easily caught if there were more people policing the roads... I dread to think of the carnage if we got rid of it, look back to the statistics for the 50s when there was no MoT, and fewer cars and think what it would be like if we had a similar free for all now...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Worthless? Far from it, I suggest. In the event of an RTA, a current cert indicates an intention to be law-abiding. Less hassle as a result, whoever is to blame. 

Possession is ok then? Despite the fact the vehicle may in fact be unroadworthy, at that particular point?

As proof of a degree of roadworthiness at a given point in time, The MoT has a value....But that value ceases to have any worth if the vehicle subsequently is driven in an unroadworthy condition.

Does possession of an in-date MoT certificate make the driver a law -abiding individual? I think not....

To be Law-abiding [in respect of the public highway, vehicles, driving, etc] requires a lot more than a bit of paper which may have been obtained many months back, and many thousands of miles distant.

Insurance companies recognise this too!  Which is why nearly all policies have a condition of issue stating that the vehicle must be maintained in a roadworthy condition at all times.....mentioning nothing about requiring a valid MoT certificate.

• Like 1