The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, peanuts said:

add to this the continuous recording of drivers hours via the digital tachograph hgv operating and driving must be one of the tightest regulated industries in this country  

And so it should be, HGVs at 60mph don’t stop.......back when I started in vehicle product development in the late 70’s I remember the Chief Engineer of Trucks (never called them Lorries) said they (trucks) will never be safe on the road unless they quadruple the number of wheels they have, when the brakes go on there just is not the contact patch to give enough friction to stop safely, a unloaded tractor cab is safe, hang 30 tonnes behind it and forget any chance of a safe stop in an emergency.

• Agree 3

16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

And so it should be, HGVs at 60mph don’t stop.......back when I started in vehicle product development in the late 70’s I remember the Chief Engineer of Trucks (never called them Lorries) said they (trucks) will never be safe on the road unless they quadruple the number of wheels they have, when the brakes go on there just is not the contact patch to give enough friction to stop safely, a unloaded tractor cab is safe, hang 30 tonnes behind it and forget any chance of a safe stop in an emergency.

agreed maybe someone should tell that to all the idiots that like to squeeze into the safe breaking gap in they're little tin box  44t of truck verses german shopping trolley only gonna be one winner 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just like the gap the truckers give cars when they cut back in on German Autobahns then... That maneuver is the standard practice on the Continent for truck drivers along with the "we'll leave it until 100 metres before the end of the slip road" to get off the autobahn, the latter being done by all drivers, not just truckers...

What is the phrase, "people in glass houses"... Most drivers are fine but there's always a minority, sometimes sizeable! 

• Like 1

A quick sample of what was on show at the Bicester Scramble today, it's the first time I've been and the variety of vehicles was wonderful, from the humble to the exotic (I'll post some more stuff tomorrow). There was a fantastic number of cars too but for me the 'one I wanted to take home' was this Lamborghini 400GT, one of the oldest Lambos currently residing in the UK...

DSCF4803.JPG

DSCF4806.JPG

DSCF4808.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

A quick sample of what was on show at the Bicester Scramble today, it's the first time I've been and the variety of vehicles was wonderful, from the humble to the exotic (I'll post some more stuff tomorrow). There was a fantastic number of cars too but for me the 'one I wanted to take home' was this Lamborghini 400GT, one of the oldest Lambos currently residing in the UK...

I really liked those old, original Lambos...compared to the later [post-Miura] supercars.

It's like comparing  stylish Italian mens shoes, with Nike trainers [on a teenybopper]....

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, alastairq said:

I really liked those old, original Lambos...compared to the later [post-Miura] supercars.

It's like comparing  stylish Italian mens shoes, with Nike trainers [on a teenybopper]....

I know what you mean Alastair, things started getting a bit lairy when Gandini's LP400 Countach was rechristened and given fat wheel arches and rear wings, the former was strictly to cover the new much wider Pirelli P7 tyres but the wing was of no aerodynamic use whatsoever. However between the Miura and the Countach there was also the Espada (1968-78), Islero (1968-70), Jarama (1972-74) and Urraco (1972-79), all of which I love to bits and would gladly own. The Islero is quite plain looking for a Lambo and some would say the Jarama is just plain odd with its short wheelbase and massive overhangs front and rear, but I'd have one in a heartbeat given half a chance.

The early Countaches looked like spaceships when Cowley was still churning out MGBs... ;)

LAM LP400 BOB WALLACE lamborghini_countach_lp400_prototipo.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

LAM LP400 BOB WALLACE lamborghini_countach_lp400_prototipo.jpg

Ah, that's a prototype or pre-production car on test - PROVA plates show that. Plates issued in Bologna.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Richard E said:

Ah, that's a prototype or pre-production car on test - PROVA plates show that. Plates issued in Bologna.

Yes it's actually the second (red) production LP400 built, if you look at the small window frame within the door frame you can see it was similar to the (one off) LP500 prototype, once the main production kicked in the frames changed to the more familiar type used right to the end of production. Here's Bob Wallace testing the same car at Missano in '73... hidden behind the concrete pillar is a very early Urraco P250...

LAM LP400 BOB MODENA1120001_13.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Hobby said:

I just find those cars and the others from the same era just ugly, same as the modern supercars, give me an E type or even the XK120 any day.  Everyone to their own I suppose! ;)

‘Well who was it that said the E-type is the most beautiful car in the world.........oh yes.......Mr Ferrari himself :good_mini:

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

‘Well who was it that said the E-type is the most beautiful car in the world.........oh yes.......Mr Ferrari himself :good_mini:

For some reason I can't get all misty eyed over E-Type roadsters, yet the fixed head coupes really do it for me! The E-Type was the one car he wished he'd designed. The Mini was another favourite of Enzo's, he had three which were slightly modified and he was great friends with Alec Issigonis.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

For some reason I can't get all misty eyed over E-Type roadsters, yet the fixed head coupes really do it for me!

I'm likewise.....I remember them all too clearly, when they were mostly verging on banger status.

The FHC I like......but not the 2+2..[the one with the more vertical windscreen]...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just found another shot of LP400 chassis #002 on test at Missano, taken on 17th April 1973, the chap at the back with the stripe on his overalls is test driver Bob Wallace... the second photo (apologies for the awful quality) shows an LP400 on test from 'Sports Car World' magazine in June '76 showing the white on black 'N' reg plates I've mentioned previously, very unusual for a new post '73 registered car....

LAM LP400 Misano Stanzani Collection 170473 A.jpg

IMG_4431.JPG

• Like 4

I don't know if anyone on the forum has seen this video but this chap lives in the Cotswolds and yes he's well heeled, very well indeed and good luck to him.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 4

Harry's video channel is excellent, he's a proper enthusiast who uses his cars as often as possible, everything from a Fiat 500 to the Countach. My favourite is the epic drive back from Italy in his Lamborghini Espada…. at one point he found it was running on only eleven of its twelve cylinders but such was its smoothness he didn't realise until he opened the bonnet...!

LAM ESPADA HARRY M 1975-Lamborghini-Espada-Series-III-road-test-07 edit1.jpg

LAM ESPADA HARRY METCALFE 853a6.jpg

LAM ESPADA HARRY M 1975-Lamborghini-Espada-Series-III-road-test-01.jpg

LAM ESPADA HARRY M 82284ac74cb3a668b45.jpg

• Like 6