RMweb

For those interested in old cars.

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

My favourite aut of that last set is the very original looking 2-door Range Rover.

Very nice, but they are pretty basic inside.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, MJI said:

The Toyota Landcruiser blew them away when it to came to reliability and capability- in that era only the insane went seriously Outback and chose a Rangerover to do it in instead!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, MJI said:

Marketed for farmers as a work beast, then hose out the grot inside and go out for the evening...

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Toyota Landcruiser blew them away when it to came to reliability and capability- in that era only the insane went seriously Outback and chose a Rangerover to do it in instead!

Maybe so, but there is nothing quite like a Range Rover - you either get that statement or you dont (& that goes for most of the products that came out of Solihul, at least until recently).

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'd rather have what is in front of my garage.

This would be a good conversion though

https://www.broadlanelandrovers.co.uk/services/td5-engine-conversions/

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Maybe so, but there is nothing quite like a Range Rover - you either get that statement or you dont

Its not about a statement, its about the practicalities of  breaking down 1000km from anywhere and discovering that the only manufacturer that offers support within 500km  is Toyota. That's how it is down here. If you want to go seriously outback, buy a Toyota. British Leyland is probably nowhere to be found west of Parramatta.

And I'm not a Toyota fan boy, Ive never owned one but after 40 years working with both the oil industry and Defence in remote areas, I can tell you that nothing else is considered to be up to the job.

For making a statement parked outside your garage in the UK though,  a Range rover  would be perfectly capable.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its not about a statement, its about breaking down 1000km from anywhere and discovering that the only manufacturer that has parts to fix your car is Toyota. That's how it is down here. If you want to go outback, choose a Toyota.

And I'm not a Toyota fan boy, Ive never owned one but after 40 years working with both the oil industry and defence in remote areas, I can tell you that nothing else is up to the job.

What happens if they get stuck?

Or is it not that bad?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MJI said:

What happens if they get stuck?

Or is it not that bad?

You need to do your homework before attempting any serious outback trip. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its not about a statement, its about the practicalities of  breaking down 1000km from anywhere and discovering that the only manufacturer that offers support within 500km  is Toyota. That's how it is down here. If you want to go seriously outback, buy a Toyota. British Leyland is probably nowhere to be found west of Parramatta.

And I'm not a Toyota fan boy, Ive never owned one but after 40 years working with both the oil industry and Defence in remote areas, I can tell you that nothing else is considered to be up to the job.

For making a statement parked outside your garage in the UK though,  a Range rover  would be perfectly capable.

S'funny, I never said anything about reliability &/or dealers but here we have a reply to my comment...........

& before anyone starts going on about the reliability or RR's** compared to LC's I'm well aware of the pro's & cons between the two vehicles & I'm not anticipating going "1,000 km" from anywhere. LC's are fine for hard work but there are not in the same league as a RR for the way they drive.

** I've had two so I know from experience about how reliable they are.

Edited by GrumpyPenguin
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

S'funny, I never said anything about reliability &/or dealers but here we have a reply to my comment...........

& before anyone starts going on about the reliability or RR's** compared to LC's I'm well aware of the pro's & cons between the two vehicles & I'm not anticipating going "1,000 km" from anywhere. LC's are fine for hard work but there are not in the same league as a RR for the way they drive.

** I've had two so I know from experience about how reliable they are.

Need to keep on top of them, keep well serviced, older ones are not intrinsically unreliable,  just need good maintenance.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MJI said:

Need to keep on top of them, keep well serviced, older ones are not intrinsically unreliable,  just need good maintenance.

The same applies to any car.

• Agree 6

20 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

My favourite aut of that last set is the very original looking 2-door Range Rover.

I would take the Karmann Gaia.

steve

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I have hidden my post above and asked the mods to remove it as the Youtube clip contains malware. This is the correct one without the malware.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Malware?  In a YouTube clip - never heard of that before.

Was there a link in the page that contained Malware, that's the more likely route.

Yes there was a link, for a gambling website. I'd mistakenly posted the 1979 TV remake of the film as well.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know what car this is?  It's a photo of my grandmother in either her car or grandfather's in the early 1920s.  Someone had attempted to hand tint it at some time.

simg588KathinHaroldscarearly1920s.jpg.95bc82d584981da17ea6ce4c362934cf.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Does anyone know what car this is?  It's a photo of my grandmother in either her car or grandfather's in the early 1920s.  Someone had attempted to hand tint it at some time.

David

Not certain,  but I'm going to guess at some sort of Morgan, as per this photo.

three-wheeled-morgan-vintage-car-britain

Same radiator cowling, same exposed cylinders, similar wheels.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Not quite as old as the previous vehicle but…

steve

BA2A2566-5BAA-4FAA-AEF4-D5D1DB1BB146.jpeg

I had 3 Citroen Dyanes at various times, 1 orange, 1 blue, 1 yellow.  They were all very reliable and I got used to planning well in advance if I wanted to ovetake something.

There was a "bit" of body roll when cornering fast.

David

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

2 hours ago, Moxy said:

Not certain,  but I'm going to guess at some sort of Morgan, as per this photo.

three-wheeled-morgan-vintage-car-britain

Same radiator cowling, same exposed cylinders, similar wheels.

Yes, both are Morgans. The sliding pillar front suspension is still used by Morgan today.

PS love the Klaxon mounted on the running board in @DaveF's pic.

• Like 5

2003 MG ZT in United Kingdom - For Sale | Car & Classic (carandclassic.com)2003 MG ZT in United Kingdom - For Sale | Car & Classic (carandclassic.com)

The above link was posted on our club site a couple of days ago. 225mph with parachute braking! Holds the Land Speed Record for an estate car!

Was last put up for sale in 2008 at £24,995. don't know if it was sold.

Apparently as it stands it is not road legal, the mods need to be removed.

edit to add: In between attempting to post this and now (it disappeared off the screen forsome reason), the link on out club site, and the trader's advert page, have both disappeared. Maybe it sold - I doubt it though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

With the mention of MG rover cars for sale I'm doing a bit of selling and hopefully buying.  My silver mgf is on ebay classified and I'm looking hard for an SD1 manual vitesse 

Any news on both welcome 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, DaveF said:

David

Further to the replies above I will go with this , a 1920 Morgan Grand Prix ,

https://www.hagerty.com/media/member-stories/this-1920-grand-prix-three-wheeler-is-as-morgan-as-it-gets/

What interests me on  Dave's photo one is the rear tyre compared to the front ones ,

it looks like one that would be called Town and Country in my apprenticeship years in the mid 60's ,

completely different to the ones on the machine in the fact page .

• Like 4