Bachmann 20t Grain hoppers

Michael Delamar

Fiona would soon have a pinny on him and operating the vacuum cleaner.

But there's thousand of other bits of rolling stock and over-scale buffered sidings can benefit from his finery...

P

Vacuum cleaner, waz that?

Oh, is that the silver and green thing that I keep repairing for 'Her who must be obeyed' cause 'you're an engineer, you can fix things'.... 

The thing that's over twenty years old but is like grandpa's old shovel....

The thing that finds long lost items the carpet monster swallowed then proceeds to chew them all up....

The thing that sprained me finger when trying to stretch an after market drive belt on that was just too small.... 

Oh yeah, I know what that is!!!!

Dave.

Flower?  What is it now!  Can I wear me EMGS pinny please?   Okay, if you must.

Vacuum cleaner, waz that?

Oh, is that the silver and green thing that I keep repairing for 'Her who must be obeyed' cause 'you're an engineer, you can fix things'....

The thing that's over twenty years old but is like grandpa's old shovel....

The thing that finds long lost items the carpet monster swallowed then proceeds to chew them all up....

The thing that sprained me finger when trying to stretch an after market drive belt on that was just too small....

Oh yeah, I know what that is!!!!

Dave.

Flower? What is it now! Can I wear me EMGS pinny please? Okay, if you must.

Time for Dyson then Dave?

I'm a passed driver if any tips are wanted...

Coat + Hat = Gone!

Aye, the silver and green thing is a Dyson and just like my auld Landy it's just a Meccano kit hence easy to take apart and replace bits....

Hoovers and pinnies.

Real mens talk now.

Mine gave up the ghost about 3 months ago and no new motors available now  Even the local household appliance scrapyard shop (Yes  Durham has one of them) proprietor was surprised at how old it was. 35 years!

Whilst doing an interwebby search I even found my now expired vacuum cleaner has a web site dedicated to it.

After seeing the performance of Rick/Izzys top of the range Dyson (My ex's asthmatic budgerigar had more suck!) I went down the Hoover route.

P

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I was told at the weekend that these had arrived at Barwell last Thursday and should be going out to dealers this week.

Cheers

George

• RMweb Gold

Hoovers and pinnies.

Real mens talk now.

Mine gave up the ghost about 3 months ago and no new motors available now  Even the local household appliance scrapyard shop (Yes  Durham has one of them) proprietor was surprised at how old it was. 35 years!

Whilst doing an interwebby search I even found my now expired vacuum cleaner has a web site dedicated to it.

After seeing the performance of Rick/Izzys top of the range Dyson (My ex's asthmatic budgerigar had more suck!) I went down the Hoover route.

P

Can beat that - mine is 60 years old! Dysons should be sold with several pairs of ear plugs.

Off to CMC tomorrow for grain hoppers yippee...

Phil

A good dose of dirt will soon cover that up. What does anyone use for the rust colour that these wagons ended up in?

I use actual rust as a reference from some heavily corroded angle iron that a previous property owner once employed to reinforce fencing. Match matt paint to this colour and apply. I 'splodge on' stencil style with a brush with short bristles. Pound up some of the real rust in a pestle and mortar really fine, blow on to wet paint to add a little texture.

Why did these wagons corrode so badly? It's not that they were carrying sulphur compound leaching coal, which had such spectacular effects on the 16T, 20T etc. steel bodied minerals. Many of them you could see entire panels had nearly lost all paint, while adjacent panels were well protected. Suggests to me that either the steel quality was inconsistent, or the paint prep and application process was inadequate, or a bit of both.

Why did these wagons corrode so badly? It's not that they were carrying sulphur compound leaching coal, which had such spectacular effects on the 16T, 20T etc. steel bodied minerals. Many of them you could see entire panels had nearly lost all paint, while adjacent panels were well protected. Suggests to me that either the steel quality was inconsistent, or the paint prep and application process was inadequate, or a bit of both.

If you look at the photograph taken sometime in the 1950s it is already corroding badly. It looks to have been a very thin coat of whatever grey paint they managed to get their hands on; it doesn't look like there is an undercoating. New Unfitted wood bodied wagons in 1951 were unpainted, it seems quite possible there was a general shortage of suitable paint. I also wonder if there was the work for them? There had never been a lot of grain hoppers and a batch of 40 LMS design hoppers had just been produced. The UK imported a considerable proportion of its grain requirements until we joined the Common Market and many of the big granaries were at the docks (Hull, Cardiff, Barry were ones I visited in the mid 70s) so grain wasn't moved around inland so much, and would also have been seasonal. Perhaps they sat around unused which always seems to mean deterioration appears worse than on wagons which are in use.

Paul

Hello

I have eight of them now sitting on my new layout 'Fenchurch St Peter' this evening. Got a lot of re-numbering and weathering to do on them but they will do for me despite the previously mentioned imperfections. .

Cheers

George

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

I received one each of these three new grain wagons yesterday, smashing looking wagons, lovely lettering, but oh dear the "early grey" one is a bit too light and bright for me. As many will know, wagon colours can vary enormously due to using different source paint and then getting a weathering job courtesy of mother nature. We do also know that generally speaking the newly applied colours changed in the mid-60s, the grey used to be darker before, then became a pale grey (as per Bachmann) and the bauxite used to be brighter and slightly orangey, then became a chocolate brown, but of course the old shades lived on for ages and weathering created even more shades. I've always had a theory that these liveries were based on whatever metal/wood primer was available at the time, an easy single application would make sense, plus primer has always been available in brown or grey? I decided on a quick re-spray for the early one, i tried separating the body from the chassis, but gave up fearing something might crack. There are four screws underneath, two of which are hidden above the couplings, which means you can easily unscrew the coupling bases, if using only 3-links. So the body stayed put and i just held a masking panel against the black chassis as a shield, i kept the original lettering and covered this with liquid masking rubber, inevitably there was a bit of overspray on the chassis, but that was quickly diluted with a wet brush and left as weathering. I just used an old pot of nondescript matt medium grey, and when it was dry i gave a slight rub down to distress the finish (we can't have pristine wagons!) and removed the masking rubber. Two other quick alterations were, applying matt black to the sides of those kinked outside struts where the plastic is too thick, which has the effect of making them look thinner, and applying a quick dawb of white on the brake handles. Bottom pic shows the repainted wag next to Bachmann's later period grey version. If i get a few more, i fancy doing a bleached old livery with a bit of a bluey tinge, plus a bit of rust of course . . . .

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-16247900-1434618082.jpg

post-298-0-43533700-1434618135.jpg

post-298-0-44181200-1434618192.jpg

• Like 2

Very easy to pull apart, Brian. Mine were in bits within minutes of arriving.

I found a gap along the top seam of one of mine which closed up when I took the lid off and replaced the other way round. I also ran Plastic Magic along the gap and that closed it up even more.

Bachmann_grain_2_zpsrzxfsvnn.jpg

The hopper is hollow and ideal for liquid lead. I have repainted one of mine - I'll probably keep the other as is as a control sample (or something) and just weather it.

Bachmann_grain_1_zpsmg0lzhdv.jpg

Transfers from Cambridge Custom Transfers, sheet BL133.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 4

Nice job there JW, so please tell us, step by step, how you got the body off? With the four screws out, it wouldn't pop apart and i was worried i might snap a side stanchion. Can i see glue marks on your chassis ends? It will be useful to know for future spray jobs. Thanks.    BK

With all the screws out (I think only the two nearest the hopper hold the body on) they just pulled apart. I think the marks near the hopper are paint rather than glue but they could be either. There wasn't any glue behind the buffer beams on either of mine.

Likewise the top seemed just to be a very snug plug fit and didn't have any evidence of glue anywhere.

Hi Everyone,

I received one each of these three new grain wagons yesterday, smashing looking wagons, lovely lettering, but oh dear the "early grey" one is a bit too light and bright for me. As many will know, wagon colours can vary enormously due to using different source paint and then getting a weathering job courtesy of mother nature. We do also know that generally speaking the newly applied colours changed in the mid-60s, the grey used to be darker before, then became a pale grey (as per Bachmann) and the bauxite used to be brighter and slightly orangey, then became a chocolate brown, but of course the old shades lived on for ages and weathering created even more shades. I've always had a theory that these liveries were based on whatever metal/wood primer was available at the time, an easy single application would make sense, plus primer has always been available in brown or grey? I decided on a quick re-spray for the early one, i tried separating the body from the chassis, but gave up fearing something might crack. There are four screws underneath, two of which are hidden above the couplings, which means you can easily unscrew the coupling bases, if using only 3-links. So the body stayed put and i just held a masking panel against the black chassis as a shield, i kept the original lettering and covered this with liquid masking rubber, inevitably there was a bit of overspray on the chassis, but that was quickly diluted with a wet brush and left as weathering. I just used an old pot of nondescript matt medium grey, and when it was dry i gave a slight rub down to distress the finish (we can't have pristine wagons!) and removed the masking rubber. Two other quick alterations were, applying matt black to the sides of those kinked outside struts where the plastic is too thick, which has the effect of making them look thinner, and applying a quick dawb of white on the brake handles. Bottom pic shows the repainted wag next to Bachmann's later period grey version. If i get a few more, i fancy doing a bleached old livery with a bit of a bluey tinge, plus a bit of rust of course . . . .

Cheers, Brian.

attachicon.gifCIMG4842.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG4840.JPG

attachicon.gifCIMG4848.JPG

Great work again Brian. I had to look a few times at that kinked stanchion to see what you had done. I was considering thinning it down but I am amazed at what a difference some black paint can make