The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

All this stuff about Schrödinger Cat

So I went to Wikipedia to see what it was about.

Did not understand what the hell it was all about and gave up after the intro - I think I will go back to ERs

Dave

I doggedly read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" from cover to cover and came to the conclusion that uncertainty is my most strongly held principle.

• RMweb Gold

I doggedly read Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" from cover to cover and came to the conclusion that uncertainty is my most strongly held principle.

Are you certain about that?

I contacted a friend, professor of atomic physics at the University of Nottingham, to ask for clarification on the existence or otherwise of Schrödinger's cat.

He pointed out that the placing of the cat in the box is a control variable, and its presence in the box is a given. Whether the cat is dead or alive depends on the uncontrolled variable of the timing of release of poison into the box. It is also possible for the cat to be both dead and alive at the same time, this being a thought experiment.

You're welcome.

Surely the presence or otherwise of Schrodinger's cat in the box could be determined using a CAT Scan.

Coat, hat, gone.

.....or maybe a LAB test? PS. I think you are all barking! (The "Whooosh! you thought you heard, was my rapid departure!)

• RMweb Premium

Schrodinger's cat is such a simple exercise.

The answer is yes or no.

, but then again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike.

Perhaps, the answer is 42?

The Maker of Canada Dry Ginger Ale is in trouble over their slogan "Drink Canada Dry", apparently drunks from around the world have been flying to Canada, as they consider this new slogan to be a personal challenge!!!

• Like 3

So, just how many of Schrödinger's cats can one fit into an empty box...?

OK! I give in.

One.

After that the box is no longer 'empty', the premise being, as a correspondent pointed out, there is a 'Schroedinger' cat in the box once one accepts that one is trying to fit more than one into the box....if you see what I mean...

But what if schrodinger's cat wasn't a cat?

Discuss.

Mike.

This does raise the possibility that Schrödinger was indeed referring to the one often let out of the bag; the one that requires more space than a small room offers.

In this case it is only functioning as a 'cat' at the point of impact. During the 'withdraw' and 'strike' cycles, it is merely multiple strands of leather (or whatever) in the form of a fan and my be interpreted for other purposes at that point...

(...said my wife, in a playful frame of mind...)

The 'cat o'nine tails'...

Edited by EHertsGER