The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, 21C1 said:

Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb

One local authority I was acquainted with, though shall remain nameless, named their education servers after these 'guys'.  One  of the engineers said it was the only way that they had found to remember them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

News is coming in that Nestle has announced that they are experiencing supply chain problems.

There should be no shortage of chocolate products, as long as everyone shops normally, and does not panic buy.

:jester:

No problemo.  I don't usually consume much Nestle product.

You can ALL have MY share!!!

Or even, ALL of my share belong to you.....

Whatever.

• Funny 2

Doesn't that happen every year with Nestles?

I'm sure every year people are complaining that certain items are missing from the Quality Street and they've said "supply issues".

Last time they blamed it on covid, but it happens all the time. I think the year before they blamed it on supplies of chocolate.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/14/quality-street-tubs-missing-certain-chocolates-as-coronavirus-halts-production-13418607/

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/10/2021 at 23:29, DIW said:

Ah - I see that our tradition of Christmas Pantomimes has still not reached across the Atlantic (lucky you)! 

That's probably because we have Pantomimes in theatres in many towns and cities, and also at many end-of-the-pier venues.

I can only think of one Pantomime venue in the US.......

Most people in Australia have no idea either. I often try the 'Oh no it's not' line on my Australian wife and I've given up trying to explain, it only gets me in trouble!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Most people in Australia have no idea either. I often try the 'Oh no it's not' line on my Australian wife and I've given up trying to explain, it only gets me in trouble!

Funny that considering at one point in the late 1980s and 1990s every single Aussie soap actor or actress seemed to be in a pantomime. Even the unknown ones. :laugh:

It became something of a tradition.

https://www.nla.gov.au/collections/what-we-collect/ephemera/finding-australian-ephemera/australian-tv-soap-opera-stars-uk#

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I reckon I am pretty good as a descriptive writer, at least by amatuer standards, but I would have no idea how to even begin to explain panto to anyone who was not British and had not grown up with the tradition.  It makes about as much sense as most opera storylines, and while I suppose it is analagous to Punch & Judy in some ways, the sexual confusion inherent in a form of theatre in which the leading boy is a girl and everyone crossdresses, as children's entertainment, while simultaneously claiming not to have any sexual agenda beause it's 'just pantomine', takes the form into the unexplainable.  Yet it this foreigner-baffling art form makes complete sense to us Brits!

Oh no it doesn't...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I reckon I am pretty good as a descriptive writer, at least by amatuer standards, but I would have no idea how to even begin to explain panto to anyone who was not British and had not grown up with the tradition.  It makes about as much sense as most opera storylines, and while I suppose it is analagous to Punch & Judy in some ways, the sexual confusion inherent in a form of theatre in which the leading boy is a girl and everyone crossdresses, as children's entertainment, while simultaneously claiming not to have any sexual agenda beause it's 'just pantomine', takes the form into the unexplainable.  Yet it this foreigner-baffling art form makes complete sense to us Brits!

Oh no it doesn't...

It seems both Panto and Punch & Judy have their origins in Italy. What we did was make Panto more of a Music Hall thing.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-story-of-pantomime

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It seems both Panto and Punch & Judy have their origins in Italy. What we did was make Panto more of a Music Hall thing.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/articles/the-story-of-pantomime

As does opera.  I'm not that much of a fan of opera, the stories are submerged in overblown musical dramatics!  (See Terry Pratchetts "Maskerade")  However, Purcells "Dido and Anaeas" and much of the work of Gilbert and Sullivan is easier on the ear....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1