The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Squeeze seems informal and "cozy" and must work for you, but describing one's chosen (for both sides) Is a minefield to be sure. SWMBO is out as well, too pejorative to my thinking! 

I don't like SWMBO either. but it is at least better than some of the more traditional middle class epiphets, like 'The Memsahib' or the 'little woman'.  Worst, and once all too frequent in model railway magazines, was 'The Distaff Side', grounds for at least divorce if not outright murder IMHO.  Some of the old working class ones were a bit better, 'me old dutch', 'er ladyship', 'trouble and strife', and so on, but 'er indoors' was a bit suspect.

I first heard 'Squeeze' in this context about 15 years ago from a friend's teenage daughter, who also referred to passionate kissing as 'sucking face', which I rather liked but do not use. Squeeze seemed to me to be a handy catch-all, acceptable in a variety of circumstances, and The Squeeze agrees.  I am, of course, her Squeeze.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I don't like SWMBO either. but it is at least better than some of the more traditional middle class epiphets, like 'The Memsahib' or the 'little woman'.  Worst, and once all too frequent in model railway magazines, was 'The Distaff Side', grounds for at least divorce if not outright murder IMHO.  Some of the old working class ones were a bit better, 'me old dutch', 'er ladyship', 'trouble and strife', and so on, but 'er indoors' was a bit suspect.

I first heard 'Squeeze' in this context about 15 years ago from a friend's teenage daughter, who also referred to passionate kissing as 'sucking face', which I rather liked but do not use. Squeeze seemed to me to be a handy catch-all, acceptable in a variety of circumstances, and The Squeeze agrees.  I am, of course, her Squeeze.

In amateur radio circles it used to be common (don't know if it still is) to refer to a girlfriend as a YL, and the wife as an XYL. Based on QSL codes, I believe...

Passionate kissing can also be referred to as "tonsil hockey".

Edited by Hroth
spein as ushual - just one letter this time!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Isaac Asimov claimed to be puzzled at the reaction when he referred to his wife as "the woman I live with".

Perhaps the problem was his grammar, he should have said the the woman with whom I live.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

Interesting to hear all these terms for wife. I’ll ask the Gruffalo which one she prefers.

My wife likes to be referred to as the 'Princess of Southfields'!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I referred to my first (and only) wife as ‘my first wife’, but only once…

At least I never stooped to the levels encountered in CB radio and some petrolhead circles, ‘seat cover’. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

"The Current Mrs Smeeton" fell out of favour fairly quickly.

"Boss" has been more enduring.

Regards

Ian

I call my ‘work wife’ (manager with whom I get on well) Boss. I even gave her a mug with ‘The Boss’ on, which she loved.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I've joined an association dedicated the safe keeping of book storage units

"We are the shelf preservation society"

Was Sir Sean Connery your patron?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5