Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

No Autofill,on iPad,have lost my reply,I have spent an hour writing in reply

to Julian's observation of DP been short.

Will leave you with these pics,for now.

Dover Priory, top is North,

Bottom is South

post-13585-0-30191700-1445155616_thumb.jpg

post-13585-0-25136400-1445155702_thumb.jpg

Left is North

Right is South .

22066327948_844260be8f_z.jpg

by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

21631333144_86630f9a15_z.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 5

My good mate AndyF told me to wonder over to this layout thread and have a look, its very impressive.

Isn't it? I've read through about 140 pages so far over the last week. Now I feel I've lived in Dover in a past life; either that or it's sent me round t'twist.

Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for your post's, fella's. Like your work.

Steam engines' for DP ?

Sadly not.  

To me, they are a nightmare, too many bit's to fall/break off, conrods to bend with finger's etc. too many wheel's to put on the track,      4-Cep is bad enough.

I have 6.  Probably, keep the "Tangmere sound,   fit a decoder to the School's Class, "Dover", see if it run's without any problem's though my track work.

But, the rest of em,    too long for my 18" opening to 20". curves.

The Tangmere, may well be sent to the new Hornby service center, outside Canterbury, Kent, for new wheel contact's. (and have the puncture repaired).

"Tangmere"

22339068475_24e1ed0927_z.jpg

Under the bonnet,so to speak, bit crude, but my first attempt at a hard wire, a couple of year's ago.

21717998253_ea97c90926_z.jpg

Clan Line, with sound.

22151194510_41c2c16da4_z.jpg

22339255525_31c4565fd5_z.jpg

William Shakespeare, (dc)

22326190112_00526cb092_z.jpg

22339202345_ec459a534b_z.jpg

Class Q1. has been weathered, (dc).

21716396244_4a604c0f1b_z.jpg

22152324789_e0295a264d_z.jpg

Tornado. dc

22151154920_eda08fe0ec_z.jpg

22339191565_0e11bacbe4_z.jpg

After a lot of work, this passed week on all my locos, they all run well and re programmed into the ECoS.

Have also set up my Sprog II, which has emerged from it's package,when I bought 2 years ago, from Andrew Crossland.

on the work bench,to the laptop.

I leave you with a sunny disposition of Dover seafront at lunchtime, today, after 4 day's of grey and rain, on a cycle ride, from where train's used to run.

From the end of The Prince of Wales pier, this is the view of Dover seafront and prom.

22151230740_23e772a5e3_z.jpg

Eastern Docks and Eastern entrance

22152421989_603a960168_z.jpg

22151256900_7e55d5f12f_z.jpg

Western Entrance and France, from the Prom.

22326276272_bb7a486cd6_z.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 11

What happened to the West country class? fight with a soldering iron? You can get brass deflectors from RT models I think....but you have to bend them yourself.

I do like the Battle of Britain/West country and Merchants but I've never really had great running from steam loco's on DCC and there's always some thing that needs doing to'em. They need more weight I reckon to aid pick-up and haulage. Glad you're keeping Tangmere; looks good for Pullman specials.

West country class - battle of Britain class, with the hassle both Andy and myself have had with them, we found the sweep from workbench in to bin seems to fix any defects/issues you will encounter.

how you finding the Sprog II?

I use/Andy abuses my locobuffer II which I use via my Digitrax system and JMRI. its great software for reading all CVs and create a log/back up.

I liked the sound of the Sprog as a stand alone interface. 

• Like 1

Steam engines' for DP ?

Sadly not.  

To me, they are a nightmare, too many bit's to fall/break off, conrods to bend with finger's etc. too many wheel's to put on the track,      4-Cep is bad enough.

I have 6.  Probably, keep the "Tangmere sound,   fit a decoder to the School's Class, "Dover", see if it run's without any problem's though my track work.

But, the rest of em,    too long for my 18" opening to 20". curves.

Hello Mr T, I think you may be pleasantly surprised with the Schools, Mine has much better haulage capability than the Merchant navy and she runs beautifully.

Graham.

• Like 1

Quite a lot to catch up with,  but,

first, the granddaughter, on her half term World Tour. A 24 hour stopover in Dover, then on to the "Otherside of the World",

Folkestone.

Before leaving here on the HS1,this morning, Kimberley, took on the EsU controller and a crash course on Class 20,consist,driver training,

we then,rushed off to catch the real Hs1.

22392333640_89594997aa_z.jpg

My only comment is that, when control starts on the Hs1,am happy there is no, service trolley on the real one,we would have thesoup spilt in our lap's not once, but, twice.

http://youtu.be/igqxC9Uy0yo

Caught this, on a turnaround, before boarding our train.

73s, on HTTr.

http://youtu.be/4oaxZW8crMs

Thanks, to those of you who ,posted.

I will get to reply, to them.

The channel looks very calm today just right for a trip o Calais or not maybe!!!!

Good pictures as always David :sungum:

What happened to the West country class? fight with a soldering iron? You can get brass deflectors from RT models I think....but you have to bend them yourself.

I do like the Battle of Britain/West country and Merchants but I've never really had great running from steam loco's on DCC and there's always some thing that needs doing to'em. They need more weight I reckon to aid pick-up and haulage. Glad you're keeping Tangmere; looks good for Pullman specials.

West country class - battle of Britain class, with the hassle both Andy and myself have had with them, we found the sweep from workbench in to bin seems to fix any defects/issues you will encounter.

I use/Andy abuses my locobuffer II which I use via my Digitrax system and JMRI. its great software for reading all CVs and create a log/back up.

Hello Mr T, I think you may be pleasantly surprised with the Schools, Mine has much better haulage capability than the Merchant navy and she runs beautifully.

Graham.

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 7

Hi David,

Apologies for the massively delayed catch-up. I'm fairly speechless (which is a first!). I think I need to go back about ninety pages to get a proper picture.

Lovely to see the bairn enjoying herself. My grandson isn't even allowed in the railway room. To be fair, he grabs at everything, and if it was an A4 that wasn't shifting he'd snatch it up and try to push it along the floor...

I was surprised when I clicked your *My Videos* list! ??? My gob is firmly smacked. :)

Being as technophobic as I am, I wouldn't be at all surprised if you told me that whoever clicked it would get their list, naturally.

Oh, BTW (should have mentioned it on my thread) but my Dynamis works perfectly. The two receivers are slightly under the board where they can see my hands but not the striplights. No... my problem is programing!!! The damn gobbledygook scrambles my grey matter and I make mistakes because I don't understand the damned acronyms! 

It started when my box-thingy was returned from repair. Almost nothing worked anymore. Some of the locos which were still *3's* worked, some didn't. And a few others worked... with different numbers! This was a year ago and I still haven't had the time and patience to sort it. Fortunately, 3 out of 4 sound-diesels worked. They are the only reason I have DCC. I can run 5+ locos at a time with DC.

Sorry for arriving out of the blue and nicking your thread.  :no:

Regards,

Tony.

EDIT I bet you voted *thanks* before you read my last edit.  :jester:

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND

• RMweb Gold

Quite a lot to catch up with,  but,

first, the granddaughter, on her half term World Tour. A 24 hour stopover in Dover, then on to the "Otherside of the World",

Folkestone.

Before leaving here on the HS1,this morning, Kimberley, took on the EsU controller and a crash course on Class 20,consist,driver training,

we then,rushed off to catch the real Hs1.

22392333640_89594997aa_z.jpg

My only comment is that, when control starts on the Hs1,am happy there is no, service trolley on the real one,we would have thesoup spilt in our lap's not once, but, twice.

http://youtu.be/igqxC9Uy0yo

Caught this, on a turnaround, before boarding our train.

73s, on HTTr.

http://youtu.be/4oaxZW8crMs

Thanks, to those of you who ,posted.

I will get to reply, to them.

Crash course is an unfortunate term when applied to driving. But then near here we have a driving school called Impact.

• Like 1

Hello, to you all, 'tis another weekend,(again) enjoy yourself, whatever you do.. (you hearing me ,Jukebox).

No, not me, on the road to Crewe, I was asked twice,  but 4 other club members are there,including Loftysr (Ray).

One of our Folkestone Mrc exhibition layouts is appearing at,  Crewe model railway exhibition 

today and tomorrow, well worth a look,if you are going.

The name of our layout is called, Hythe,

based on a real area,on the outskirt's of Folkestone, Kent.  You can find out more details,of Hythe,   Click Here

Forgive me, here are a few pics. these shew the layout, having a refurb. before the exhibition season starts,

this was a couple of years ago, in the club workshops'.

8181953066_52f6acfb38_z.jpg.

by]David Todd 2012, on Flickr

8517278189_fa64b378b4_z.jpg

8518402526_685220a22a_z.jpg

8181953066_52f6acfb38_z.jpg

8181919397_3a6856c1af_z.jpg

8181926463_a64c007d48_z.jpg

8181916114_a356eef477_z.jpg

Ok, now to play catch-up, over this weekend.

shanks522
Posted 22 October 2015 - 18:32
David Todd, on 20 Oct 2015 - 20:51, said:

Steam engines' for DP ?

Sadly not. 

To me, they are a nightmare, too many bit's to fall/break off, conrods to bend with finger's etc. too many wheel's to put on the track,      4-Cep is bad enough.

I have 6.  Probably, keep the "Tangmere sound,   fit a decoder to the School's Class, "Dover", see if it run's without any problem's though my track work.

But, the rest of em,    too long for my 18" opening to 20". curves.

Graham.

Thanks for post, G.

I ordered a lot of decoders from Hattons, this last week, so I may well, Hard wire The "Dover",schools class,over the weekend Graham,

see how it works out, thanks for the info.

m.levin

Posted 22 October 2015 - 17:40

Andrew F

Thanks for post Martin,

Can I have the B of B, bodies, from the bin please ?

As it was,"Grandchildren Season",this last week", (half term),  it is wired up and still on the first page of Andrew Crossland's instruction's.

Posted 21 October 2015 - 22:05

class"66"

Never noticed, till you pointed it out  :O  :no: .

Loftys' soldering iron, know's nothing about it, when questioned !

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:52
Good pictures as always David :sungum:

lmsforever
Posted 20 October 2015 - 21:02
The channel looks very calm today just right for a trip o Calais or not maybe!!!!

Thanks for post, lms,

Am always drawn to the sea, only been on a ferry, twice,in 15.years of (medical) retirement.

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Hythe is well worth seeing. It looks even better in the flesh and is the best example I have ever seen of a 'railway in the landscape' rather than the other way round.

Thank you for such a positive posting Suzie

Even, Mr Waterman, commented," I feel as though I am walking down that country lane", a couple of years ago, when he attend the

Folkestone Marc exhibition, very early one Sunday morning.

One very distinct feature, is, it has no backscene

• Like 1

I use a sprog 3 with rocrail - I couldn't get JMRI talking to my DCC concepts accessory decoders reliably. Really was plug and play and, using the touch screen machine, just works. Must admit it's the only dcc controller I've tried other than the ez commander, but when used with a wireless throttle app offers e erything I need.

Returning to your mention of the Sprog David, I'll be interested to see how you get on with that, as I'm ultimately hoping to go that route for train control myself.

.Hello Al, thanks for post.

The infamous Daleks, of A.V. Asked me to say hello and hope you are well

I also will be interested,to see how I get on.

Your getting on well with your layout I see.

Al.

I use a sprog 3 with rocrail - I couldn't get JMRI talking to my DCC concepts accessory decoders reliably. Really was plug and play and, using the touch screen machine, just works. Must admit it's the only dcc controller I've tried other than the ez commander, but when used with a wireless throttle app offers e erything I need.

Interesting Snofi, I will ask Richard,when I we get to go for a couple of ♨️Ciggies @Warley in 3 weeks time.

I do have also,a version 1 clean iPad,that I was going to let the g/children use as a controller , linked to the ECoS.

Interesting Snofi, I will ask Richard,when I we get to go for a couple of ♨️Ciggies @Warley in 3 weeks time.

I do have also,a version 1 clean iPad,that I was going to let the g/children use as a controller , linked to the ECoS.

I gave up smoking for  four years after smoking for forty-four - I swore I'd never start again! Then Joan was in North Tyneside General for nine weeks after breaking her hip... Rattling round the house, sick with worry, I started again. Idiot! Still smoking now - double-idiot! LOL 

Regards, Tony.

PS: It can help to weather layout, locos, etc, but that takes a decade or two to be effective.  :jester:

• Like 2

I've got a tripod for my Nikon...

In my frivolity I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the video!

I think I'll have to get wor lass to get me a 20 for Christmas. My 03 is an excellent mover but is a bit light for shunting long trains, and the J94 (very powerful for its size!) is a tea-kettle. They did have 20's at Blyth so I've some excuse. (Well, at least one) Having said which, my two sound-25's are brilliant shunters. And my single sound-37 is beyond excellent - and did shunt the yard at Heaton.... Decisions, Decisions...

Tony.

Edited by HAL 'O THE WYND
  • Like 1