Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

Those photos look superb Paul.

can I ask what kind of equipment you used to scan those, presumably, slides in? do they come off the scanner like that without any need for photoshopping or touching up?

Hello GordonC, The photos are scanned on an old Epson Stylus Photo RX620 scanner printer from negatives. I have got a few scanned slides but the majority of my photos are scanned from negatives. I've had the scanner for many years and although the printer part of it is not working as well a it should, I still keep it for the scanning capabilities. I usually don't photoshop or touch up the negatives/slides except for possibly cropping or straightening the shot, but that is rare. I like to post my photos warts & all. Sometimes the photo itself isn't brilliant but the content might be useful to someone.

Paul J

Hello GordonC, The photos are scanned on an old Epson Stylus Photo RX620 scanner printer from negatives. I have got a few scanned slides but the majority of my photos are scanned from negatives. I've had the scanner for many years and although the printer part of it is not working as well a it should, I still keep it for the scanning capabilities. I usually don't photoshop or touch up the negatives/slides except for possibly cropping or straightening the shot, but that is rare. I like to post my photos warts & all. Sometimes the photo itself isn't brilliant but the content might be useful to someone.

Paul J

Photos from the days when you largely took the picture in the camera, not "cooked" them on the computer later. Recently been scanning old slides, and they only required a little correction of the colour balance. In some cases I've also done another, selectively cropped, version.

Mine has not arrived yet, but looking at the photo posted above, Bachmann seem to have dropped a massive boo-boo in that the solebar, steps, buffer beam and buffer shanks should not be blue but black.

More to come when I get mine.

cheers

Mike

The official spec was brown solebars shortly changed to black, however, in the 1970's and 80's I have seen repainted Mk.I coaches with blue solebars. Stepboards on solebars were most definitely blue and as spraying was the usual method of painting, it made sense. This would surely apply to any coaches including the ex LMS inspection saloons. 

Edited by coachmann

the blue/grey livery is correct, solebars and buffer shanks would have become weathered quickly and carriage washing plants wouldn't touch the dirt on these. the link above shows clearly the blue paint underneath the grime.  also the second picture down in post 92, the saloon end on, I can see blue bearly breaking through on the buffer beam. its a fantastic model I picked mine up today from trains4u.

Edited by Dan Griffin

Mine has not arrived yet, but looking at the photo posted above, Bachmann seem to have dropped a massive boo-boo in that the solebar, steps, buffer beam and buffer shanks should not be blue but black.

More to come when I get mine.

cheers

Mike

Not so sure myself: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/terry47401/10082829343/

Looks pretty blue to me.

Cheers,

Bruce

The thing is to copy the real thing and dirty up the solebars leaving blue showing where feet etc cleaned off the grime. Looks a great model. No one has mentioned if it rides a bit on the low side (like the 'Portholes') compared with other coaches. Looking forward to one I can use in the early 1950s.

Edited by coachmann

I stand corrected, none of the many photos that I have seen of this livery ever showed anything but black/dirt. I have never seen any of the above mentioned photos despite 'searching' on Flickr for Inspection Saloons - the last link would not have come up as it is described as 'Observation'

cheers

Mike

ps mine is on its way.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Waiting for a BR maroon example. Regarding the bogies, they would appear to be the same as the ones fitted onto the Porthole carriages, with the swing-links added to them.

The 'pick-ups' are surplus, unless you wish to fit lighting into the model, and with these bogies, the ride-height will need to be checked, for the Porthole carriages, out of the box, ride too low. Use, if needed, Coachmann's method of a 20 thou' plasticard washer(which I have done on my Porthole stock) and it will help the ride-height.

Great looking model of the LMS Inspection Saloon, and in-spite of possible bogie issues, looking forward to that BR maroon version.

All the best,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

Glad these have finally landed, I've just ordered one.  I'm sure I've seen photos of the one that was used in passenger trains on the Kyle Line (ADM 45028) with Highland Rail stags on the sides?  I can't find one now though!  Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

Rick

It might be this one you're thinking of:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lickeybanker/14398834138

https://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/5732874243

Edited by BR(S)