Inspection Saloon

Chameleon

• RMweb Premium

Now here's a photo' I've taken of the BR maroon Saloon on the layout - have not had chance to fit the detailing parts as yet.

attachicon.gif100_6007 - Copy.JPG.

All the best,

Market65.

Is it my imagination, or does the centre window on that version look like it can be produced in the larger size as per the later Intercity and EWS liveried versions?

Hi. Got into York and Monk Bar Models on Saturday, and bought the BR maroon Inspection Saloon. Sadly, it was the last one - they sold all of them on Saturday along with the BR Blue and Grey models, so if anyone would like either of these, unfortunately, it is case of trying a different retailer. It does seem they are selling quickly, so do not wait around for them!

Now here's a photo' I've taken of the BR maroon Saloon on the layout - have not had chance to fit the detailing parts as yet.

attachicon.gif100_6007 - Copy.JPG.

All the best,

Market65.

What a superb model, I take back my previous comment about cost, can't wait for mine to appear from TTC Diecast !!!!

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Gold

Continuing the theme of a prototype for everything.....has anyone any evidence of this happening in reality? I think its plausible and I quite like the combination :locomotive: attachicon.gifMLV Inspection Saloon 1.jpgattachicon.gifMLV Inspection Saloon 2.jpg

Not exactly what you are asking but here's a steam hauled inspection saloon (not the Bachmann variant) from an earlier era on Dover Marine.  As others have suggested it's more likely to be a 33 or 73 with a saloon on the Southern but clearly saloons have visited places where MLV's would also be.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/6521474887/in/photolist-aWhghc-bmqFbx-mjdPy8-dD3f2u-8pNQG9-daZ7cf-7Hs7Ff-gxL9to-dKfr5U-fUXM6T-fFP4jd-VVvKq-cYkQc3-oyjU6u-noUfmN-dcKTH4-dcKWD3-9Cpkam-dr8TSA-jXdeEk-oykuYx-cGdCNw-8aQmjR-nPQPTr-oNMJTE-oskgf9-c1FoRY-npWVXv-oqDV7q-e7tHHV-87eT3g-ffh3cP-5pXh4q-eNdyne-dcsqnf-dMF5L3-hGwaAu-dWbHb4-dcspNc-4GSA4V-c5rzmq-fzovFB-bqEZYz-4SNFja-bNmyxB-n7dCMK-o8bDuj-8VViYc-7GtAm7-a6iYhR

Got a Blue Grey Inspection Saloon whilst at North Shields on Saturday from Cheltenham Model Centre.

It is an excellent model and have fitted coupling etc at one end. It is currently being propelled by an Eastfield 37.

I had decided not to buy one. I assumed it would be a non Scottish one and I did not fancy altering it to make it “fit” my layout. Thanks to a couple of postings on RMWEB of it in 1986 in Scotland I had no choice but to buy it!!

Re the price, it is the most expensive coach I have bought. Interestingly some of the chat at the show was around justifying the price by the level of detail on it. It certainly is a very well detailed model, but I am not sure the difference is significantly better / improved compared to other current excellent models (the TPO for example) to justify the extra cost.

Perhaps part of the reason for the higher cost is the limited saleability of it. After all I can’t imagine many of us will be buying rakes of Inspection Saloons. Clearly Bachmann can put a lot of effort (cost) into say a TSO or a BSO knowing many modellers will literally buy rakes of them and over time recoup the investment. When it comes to one offs, it is understandable that each unit will have a higher price to allow the manufacturer to recoup the cost. This is not a complaint about price or level of details just a thought re reason for the higher than usual cost.

Am planning on putting figures in it, am thinking some of the seated Prieser figures may be ideal as those seats look small.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I managed to buy my BG Inspection Saloon on Saturday.
What a lovely, lovely model of a much wanted prototype.
(I also bought 2 DPUs, and a couple of Departmental coaches too.)

I don’t have any track to run any models on yet but I can rustle up a couple of 6 inch lengths to sit a coach on. So that’s what I proceeded to do.

As I have wanted an Inspection Saloon for so long I opened this box first to ogle and admire.

First impressions were favorable of this splendid model - if a bit on the pricey side.

(A great price from the shop though: £50.00)

Placing it on the ~12” of track and things did not seem so good.
It did not sit right and looked ‘odd’, leaning and untrue.
Also, it did not free wheel and a rubbing noise could be heard when propelled back and forth along the 4” of ‘spare’ track.

Further inspection revealed the fault as a twisted chassis caused by a badly aligned and glued underframe.

This is (now) clearly visible and has twisted the body causing the inner two wheels on both bogies to rub against the Saloon’s floor. (This was exacerbated by the redundant pick-ups which at first misled me.)
The underframe can not be removed either – well not with my (lake of) modelling skills.

Further inspection shows significant use already!
All 8 wheels have dirt on the tires!
From this it is clear that this model has been run before and for quite some time too.

I’m gutted.
I know the shop will replace it BUT I am afraid that they may have already sold out. (They are closed today.) Also, getting to the shop is not easy for me.

Most disappointing, I’ll let you know how things proceed.

Kev.

Am planning on putting figures in it, am thinking some of the seated Prieser figures may be ideal as those seats look small.

I used Prieser figures and as you say the seats are a little small and very close to the ends and the tables. I ended up doing major surgery to the poor little chap’s legs to get them in :butcher: 

• RMweb Premium

Yes but I am not talk about withdrawn 1994 so I am more aware to get more information about Kyle route line by during summer use BR inspection saloon for tourist watch view hill and lines from Inverness to Kyle by what year by 1970 to 1989? To retired inspection saloon and go return to England for new former class 101 gone to north for ready summer time by use new more room for more tourist in former class 101 blue/grey with white badge of stag

The style of inspection saloon that Bachmann have done RTR was NOT for passenger use, so no, until the 101 conversion was used there was NO observation car for passenger use on the scenic lines in the Highlands in the timescale you're looking at.

I think the LNER Gresley 'Beaver tail' observation saloons ended up on the Kyle route (in modified form) but were withdrawn before 1970.

The email I received from Rails specifically excludes forthcoming releases and on-order items from the free postage offer.

Hi definitely priced at £50.96 and included free postage, just out of stock at the moment for 7-10 days, but no worries on that I won't be playing with mine for a bit yet anyway.

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues

• RMweb Gold

I used Prieser figures and as you say the seats are a little small and very close to the ends and the tables. I ended up doing major surgery to the poor little chap’s legs to get them in :butcher: 

Ha ha well used to that!!!

Just try getting the super Bachmann 37-407 1950s loco crew in to virtually any diesel - requires amputation anywhere up to the hips. The carpet monster gets fat on them!

Phil

I have one ordered from Hattons and as it hasn't arrived yet I took a look at my basket on their website. I found that their default delivery is for the customer to pick up at their shop. I wonder what percentage of Hattons customers live within Liverpool? I have changed the delivery to post!

Regards

Got a Blue Grey Inspection Saloon whilst at North Shields on Saturday from Cheltenham Model Centre.

So did I, they were down to their last one by around 3pm on Saturday. I had mine round our layout a few times on the Sunday propelled by a blue 31, had to use the Bachmann rigid bar coupling meant for between coaches as the Bachmann and Hornby tension locks had a height difference causing one to ride up over the other. I'll have to have a look for a straight nem pocket - nem pocket bar rather than the one that's meant to look like pipes.

• RMweb Gold

So did I, they were down to their last one by around 3pm on Saturday. I had mine round our layout a few times on the Sunday propelled by a blue 31, had to use the Bachmann rigid bar coupling meant for between coaches as the Bachmann and Hornby tension locks had a height difference causing one to ride up over the other. I'll have to have a look for a straight nem pocket - nem pocket bar rather than the one that's meant to look like pipes.

Yup had been looking at that too - hoped to use a bar to avoid "shuttling" when propelling at low speed but we have taken all the NEM pockets off our locos.

DUR!!!!

Phil

The style of inspection saloon that Bachmann have done RTR was NOT for passenger use, so no, until the 101 conversion was used there was NO observation car for passenger use on the scenic lines in the Highlands in the timescale you're looking at.

I think the LNER Gresley 'Beaver tail' observation saloons ended up on the Kyle route (in modified form) but were withdrawn before 1970.

If you look at Flickr DM45028 was actually used in 1986 as an observation saloon for a very short period before the 101 car was converted . Edited by Markmiller2008

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Regarding the couplings. I've tried mine with the screw couplings, both with the saloon being hauled and propelled, and on three foot radius curves, (my main running line), it has not yet derailed or buffer locked. This is also how I couple and run first generation DMU's as well, again without problems.

All the best,

Market65.

Here are images of the Manchester Victoria pet. May help with putting the detail parts on. On the topic of if they were pushed or not note the description on the body side at the right hand end.Scanner has cropped it but clearly marked 80 M.P.H. Drawn. 50 M.P.H. Propelled

post-9992-0-76578200-1409136854_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-65291100-1409136843_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-83145000-1409136848_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-89373800-1409136862_thumb.jpg

With other liveries they have been used in more recent times. Both these pics were taken at York on the same day in the 1990's

post-9992-0-29717700-1409136908_thumb.jpg

post-9992-0-52924500-1409136871_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 4

Here are images of the Manchester Victoria pet. May help with putting the detail parts on. On the topic of if they were pushed or not note the description on the body side at the right hand end.Scanner has cropped it but clearly marked 80 M.P.H. Drawn. 50 M.P.H. Propelled

attachicon.gifinspection saloon 3.jpg

attachicon.gifinspection saloon 1.jpg

attachicon.gifinspection saloon 2.jpg

attachicon.gifinspection saloon 4.jpg

With other liveries they have been used in more recent times. Both these pics were taken at York on the same day in the 1990's

attachicon.gifinspection saloon5.jpg

attachicon.gifinspection saloon6.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

If you look at Flickr DM45028 was actually used in 1986 as an observation saloon for a very short period before the 101 car was converted .

Can you post a link to the pic, please??

I've had a quick trawl and the only one that fits your description is of an LMS-livered one as the lead coach on a blue 37-hauled train at Queen Street. While it might be in pass use, it might equally be a positioning move - we usually see inspection saloons solo (hauled or propelled) but they were sometimes attached to pass/parcels trains for positioning (saving a path and a loco)

Expecting the Scouse emporium to get mine underway any time now.

Shame I placed the order when I did - as I saw the real thing in HobbyRail on Saturday, and I would happily have paid RRP to support my local retailer.  Dammit - can't please everybody, all of the time ....

• Like 1