End of the line for the Royal Train

According to the Daily Mail the Royal Train could be at the end of the line as its coaches are in need of a complete rebuild and have many  issues regarding the interiors etc.Looking at photos of the interior it looks very dated and contains old materials and does the train comply with access laws?

FYI - Here is the link :no:

A palace on wheels it ain't! A naff blue bath, cheapo furniture and Philip's OAP railcard by his desk... the Royal Train faces the end of the line

• The current Royal Train dates back to the 1977 Silver Jubilee
  • But a 'major decision' is soon due regarding Seventies rolling stock

By Robert Hardman

PUBLISHED:23:21, 15 October 2013| UPDATED:12:51, 16 October 2013

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2462052/A-palace-wheels-aint-A-naff-blue-bath-cheapo-furniture-Philips-OAP-railcard-desk--Royal-Train-faces-end-line.html#ixzz2hyNWYQlx

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Possibly the Daily Mail is disappointed that the Royal Train doesn't have the kind of interiors that they associate with the 'rich'? Because the Queen, like most people, has much better taste than some chav with too much money pop star or footballer?

The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Prince of Wales each have their own saloon while additional wagons, looking much like regular sleepers and First Class carriages, feed and accommodate the staff.

Pity the staff, having to travel in wagons.

• RMweb Gold

All very well Mike but we can't have the esteemed signalman of this parish going out photographing HRH's Shaving Car just because it's parked up across the causeway at Golant ;)

Well not quite there Rick and I understand they did use that branch on a subsequent occasion following the debacle at Pontsmill - so I got my way in the end although I understand that what the police were concerned about did happen on the Fowey branch (not that I can say what it was, and not that it was in anyway dangerous or untoward but at least it kept them doing their jobs and not just having a good sit down).

• RMweb Premium

Yes the stabling positions for the Royal Train must give it's occupants a very peculiar view of Britain.  I suppose that such places (All of which are no longer used) as the Crigglestone curve and tunnel, St John's colliery sidings at Normanton, Barlow Tip and the end of the Ingleton branch at Clapham are an antidote to the usual smell of wet paint that they alight to at most stations.

Jamie  

• RMweb Premium

Pity the staff, having to travel in wagons.

Even if the staff DO travel in carriages 'looking much like regular sleepers & First Class carriages', doesn't seem too arduous

to me.

• RMweb Gold

Yes the stabling positions for the Royal Train must give it's occupants a very peculiar view of Britain.  I suppose that such places (All of which are no longer used) as the Crigglestone curve and tunnel, St John's colliery sidings at Normanton, Barlow Tip and the end of the Ingleton branch at Clapham are an antidote to the usual smell of wet paint that they alight to at most stations.

Jamie

ive seen it stabled in eccles goods loop and i believe the down relief siding at berkswell used to be used too

when i was at arriva in chester it was stabled in the yard one night with the queen on board and the night shed driver was told to go and collect a 175 from there as he walked down towards his unit he was pounced upon by gun police officers pointing guns at him who demanded to know who he was....

"im the ferryman"

"whats the ferryman" came the answer!

after a bit of explaining he was allowed on his way but not before, in his own words "getting a new pair of underpants!"

To be honest, Her Maj is over 65, so she's obviously received her free bus pass. Surely she could use the bus instead and save a fortune......

........or she could book in advance with 'The Trainline.com' as they recommend in their awful corny unfunny TV adverts, and save a few bob.

• RMweb Premium

I was told by ************* that the RT was once stabled at (well near) Drax Power Station (if that's what they call it?) and he was the patrolling Officer (yes, just the one!!)

Quite interesting what went on he said and suggested that the party was (it was just the one Royal) to be in Goole the next day & that Drax would be a really beautiful scene  for *** in comparison  :nono:  Now I must point out that I think this was completely wrong as Goole has a charm all of its own. :sungum: 
p

I was told by ************* that the RT was once stabled at (well near) Drax Power Station (if that's what they call it?) and he was the patrolling Officer (yes, just the one!!)

Quite interesting what went on he said and suggested that the party was (it was just the one Royal) to be in Goole the next day & that Drax would be a really beautiful scene  for *** in comparison  :nono:  Now I must point out that I think this was completely wrong as Goole has a charm all of its own. :sungum: 

p

Goole has a nice pair...... of water towers. Known locally as 'Salt and Pepper Pots', the larger 'Salt', a massive 1920's concrete edifice designed by Silcock is the largest water tower in the UK. It holds 750,000 gallons of water.

http://www.hondawanderer.com/51222_Goole_Docks_2003_4.htm

Perhaps a redundant HST from East Coast when the wonderful new trains do or don't arrive could be adapted at least the power cars have new engines and the coaches are well looked after ?The mk3 body shell is adaptable and could be changed to suit the requirements of HMTQ I bet William would want a modern train.I agree about access charges surely this is an important train and should be treated differently.

• RMweb Premium

p

That stabling point was certainly used by the Queen on her Silver Jubilee tour.

Once when Diana was in West Yorks she spent the night on the Crigglestone curve, that well known beauty spot next to the old British oak Coal disposal point.  It needed an eth fitted loco to keep it warm overnight and draw it back to Horbury in the morning. The very clean royal loco was detached and sent to Healey Mills who supplkied the scruffiest and dirtiest 47 they had, obviously to fit in with it's surroundings.  I may have a photo of it somewhere.

Jamie

Wagons...? Classier Models...? Pool of 50 drivers who are capable of a +/- 10 second arrival time...?

It's a shame the article mentions certain facts without celebrating the existance of the train (and the survival of it's predecessors in museums across the UK), nor does it mention that a number of mailine registered steam locos have been bolted onto the front of it. I dare say it's survival will depend on Charles & Wills influence, and I can't see it going with the former so in favour of it.

The only one that'll be disposed of soon will be the six coaches I cobbled together about a decade ago and don't have a use for anymore.

Railway coaches, road coaches and buses are fine so long as they are in constant daily usage.  Once they stop, I imagine they need constant attention and fumigating to keep the fleas at bay. So its not merely the cost of running the Royal train, its probable the cost of storing it and keeping it "livable" is also high.

• RMweb Gold

Railway coaches, road coaches and buses are fine so long as they are in constant daily usage.  Once they stop, I imagine they need constant attention and fumigating to keep the fleas at bay. So its not merely the cost of running the Royal train, its probable the cost of storing it and keeping it "livable" is also high.

I don't know what happens now but there used to be a full time gang at Wolverton who looked after all the stock - they also went out with it as part of the on-train staff (all the business about 'Household' staff is a load of cobblers unless things have changed massively as by far the largest section of folk onboard the train are railway staff and their numbers have been whittled down over the years).  Back in the days when Stan was the Train Foreman (which is pushing 30 years ago) he used to keep a very nice line in a well known Scottish game bird aboard but those days have gone.  

The catering crew used to be provided by Travellers Fare prior to privytisation but a lot of their time was spent catering for the staff although they also catered for the customers, no fancy cooking but definitely very good cooking.

• RMweb Premium

Back in the days when I was employed at Euston station one of the TF restaurant cars staff there was seconded to "Special Duties as Required" namely a swift ride on the cushions to Wolverton and a couple of days out to destinations he was never made aware of until arrival.  He was always very circumspect about those trips and any other folk aboard but managed to confirm the nature of the "very good cooking" on board and that game birds were sometimes involved.

I believe with the change of management at Wolverton that there is pressure to have the train removed from those hallowed portals (i.e. it doesn't generate as much revenue as other "jobs") which creates other security and logistical questions not least that of providing the same staff most of the time.  

The Royal Train should perhaps be regarded as a national asset and resourced as such.  HM has voluntarily made agreements with the taxman and might for all we know also be contributing to the upkeep of her train anyway.  But I see no technical reason for Mk3 stock and class 67 locos, both of which are sound and reliable, to be retired from such a prestige role.  It's all about money, it would seem.

Archived