End of the line for the Royal Train

Just remember which paper the original article came from - and take it with a pinch of salt (though I know nothing about royal trains).

As a rough rule of thumb, if considering the question 'should I read the Daily Mail' the answer is usually 'no'

In the seventies I was parked in Wolverton station car park (having my dinner and watching trains) when the Royal Train pulled in and various blokes got off and went off in a minibus .They all were wearing tail coats so I presume they were the royal staff there were about ten of them,thing that impressed me was how quiet the train was cant remember what loco was on front.

As for the Royal Train, if it was the same magnificent coaching stock that I saw circa 1952, then I too would be concerned. But Mk.III's ???????????????  :mosking:

And exactly where would any replacement coaches come from...? In theory they could be tagged onto the back of a future Scotrail sleeper order, but it'd still be a small, non cost effective build. And if new coaches were built, there's also the bad publicity as they would almost certainly be built abroad.

• RMweb Gold

As for the Royal Train, if it was the same magnificent coaching stock that I saw circa 1952, then I too would be concerned. But Mk.III's ???????????????  :mosking:

Given Her Maj's role, and the relatively deplorable record of older rolling stock in collisions, it is inevitable that modern stock with better crashworthiness is gonna be part of any deal.

And exactly where would any replacement coaches come from...? In theory they could be tagged onto the back of a future Scotrail sleeper order, but it'd still be a small, non cost effective build. And if new coaches were built, there's also the bad publicity as they would almost certainly be built abroad.

Do they have to be loco hauled? A multiple unit Royal train should be possible, in which case it's just a standard unit with a new interior and possibly some of the windows blanked off, and maybe a couple of spare vehicles.

• RMweb Gold

In the seventies I was parked in Wolverton station car park (having my dinner and watching trains) when the Royal Train pulled in and various blokes got off and went off in a minibus .They all were wearing tail coats so I presume they were the royal staff there were about ten of them,thing that impressed me was how quiet the train was cant remember what loco was on front.

They would be the Wolverton lads by the sound of things although usually they're changed by then, could be some of the rescar guys of course.  I don't think I ever came across an occasion when there'd have been enough 'royal staff' on the train to justify, let alone fill, a minibus of any sort although it might have been possible on a move to/from Balmoral (but then they wouldn't be getting off at Wolverton.

Several people have mentioned new carriages, surely it would make more sense next time a big multiple unit order came up to order an extra one and create a Royal MU?  Aside from the Scotrail sleepers is there any future in loose carriages anyway?  And would the Scotrail sleepers even justify their own replacement cost?

Obviously it will have to be built in Derby. If they don't win the contract, then the works will close, everyone in Derby will die and Britain will become a republic  :stinker:

And?

Just look at how France has gone since they got rid of that Louis bloke! :)

• RMweb Gold

Several people have mentioned new carriages, surely it would make more sense next time a big multiple unit order came up to order an extra one and create a Royal MU?  Aside from the Scotrail sleepers is there any future in loose carriages anyway?  And would the Scotrail sleepers even justify their own replacement cost?

The potential problem with m.u.s - apart from noise and vibration - is the need to vary the formation for different jobs depending on who is travelling and what they're doing, for example one of teh regular users used to spend about 3 successive nights on teh train as it suited the arrangements for various visits but it only needed a small formation whereas when one of the others used it it was twice as many vehicles.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the Royal Train and Royal Flight should be both privitised and run by a partnership of and airline and railway companies something like - First Monarch!

XF

I think that the Royal Flight has been privatised for many years.  I think that Hanson helicopters have the contract.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the Royal Train and Royal Flight should be both privitised and run by a partnership of and airline and railway companies something like - First Monarch!

XF

Arrive serving The Royals?

Go Ahead Your Majesty?

One's Stagecoach?

Or DBS - DeBrett's Snobrail

;)

Archived