End of the line for the Royal Train

According to the Daily Mail the Royal Train could be at the end of the line as its coaches are in need of a complete rebuild and have many  issues regarding the interiors etc.Looking at photos of the interior it looks very dated and contains old materials and does the train comply with access laws?

• RMweb Gold

I understand that the professional opinion is that the rolling stock has approximately a 5-10 year lifespan It doesnt need to be accessible because its not a public train.

One of the reasons is that it costs too much to operate it - which is more a sad indication of the way our railways operate now, that a single train - effectively no different to a charter train - can cost so much to run. 

In terms of replacement, it would make sense rather than commission a brand new, bespoke royal train to look at procuring at the same time as say the new sleeper coaches. All it would then take is some internal re-design.

There's lots of older, less well maintained, coaching stock in more frequent use (on charter trains, for instance). In the 1960s the RT had 60 year old LNWR stock being hauled at 90mph by 'Westerns' etc. This will be a pure cost-cutting exercise, however they try to dress it up. Successive governments have had their eye on it for years. It can't be more expensive than all the security that will be necessary every time a Royal travels by public train and stays in hotels but it depends who is dressing up the figures.

• RMweb Gold

It would be very sad to see it go - notwithstanding the pile of inaccuracies and out-of-date pics in 'The Daily Mail' article but Chris has hit the nail on the head when he said 'it's all about who is dressing up the figures', in other words the train is as economic or as inefficient as a flavour of the week money wrangler cares to make it.  It is very popular with several senior members of the Royal Family for entirely practical reasons and as one of them is the Prince of Wales I suspect he at least is one who will do his best to keep it (even if he did turn down my offer of a Royal Train tie back in the 1980s).  It would be a great shame to see it, and the team who look after the various vehicles (some of which are pre 1970s of course), go.

The alternatives likely will end up being more expensive. Theres already the Queen's Flight at RAF Northolt as well which gets used for longer journeys. But add in needing to go everywhere else by road it'll soon become a security cost nightmare.

The alternatives likely will end up being more expensive. Theres already the Queen's Flight at RAF Northolt as well which gets used for longer journeys. But add in needing to go everywhere else by road it'll soon become a security cost nightmare.

Actually, Kelly, it will probably be much quicker, and more cost efficient, to use a helicopter - may well involve less security people as well.

I read the Telegraph article, which pointed out not only that the responsible functionary had said that the train had another 5-10 years' life in it, but also that there are "hundreds" of similar coaches in everyday service (as I suppose there are, if you count HST cars). The writer seemed unconvinced about the need for replacement so soon and I can see why.

As for the interiors, they may well be dated but don't they simply reflect the Royal taste? I don't imagine HRH as a huge fan of avant garde interior design.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

HM's personal train has been reduced in formation over the years and most of the older coaches are no longer a part of the active fleet.  A very few have found alternative uses on NR which requires special Royal sanction apparently. 

With the current train formed substantially of Mk3 stock and given the mileage it accrues annually it should be possible to keep it going for at least another 20 years without replacement.  Interior refits are another matter however.

HM and Charlie ae said to be very fond of the train and as one or other is likley to be on the throne for at least most of those next 20 years we might find that the train itself is found to be the most cost-effective means of travel albeit very costly when looked at in isolation.  The alternatives (road transport with security or air travel) are not always appropriate either.  The Royal train can be parked up overnight on otherwise hard-to-get track such as the Heathfield branch allowing those on board to wake refreshed and ready for early morning handshaking in the nether regions of their realm.

• RMweb Gold

I read the Telegraph article, which pointed out not only that the responsible functionary had said that the train had another 5-10 years' life in it, but also that there are "hundreds" of similar coaches in everyday service (as I suppose there are, if you count HST cars). The writer seemed unconvinced about the need for replacement so soon and I can see why.

As for the interiors, they may well be dated but don't they simply reflect the Royal taste? I don't imagine HRH as a huge fan of avant garde interior design.

Jim

The comments about the interiors seem to be at least partly drawn from the realms of imagination and a look at what is in the NRM.  I've only been in the Duke of Edinburgh's saloon (of the current actual 'family' vehicles) and it certainly doesn't match the descriptions the imagineer of the 'Mail' is giving them.  The Prince of Wales has long expressed a preference for the older stock instead of the Mk 3 conversions.

• RMweb Premium

The comments about the interiors seem to be at least partly drawn from the realms of imagination and a look at what is in the NRM.  I've only been in the Duke of Edinburgh's saloon (of the current actual 'family' vehicles) and it certainly doesn't match the descriptions the imagineer of the 'Mail' is giving them.  The Prince of Wales has long expressed a preference for the older stock instead of the Mk 3 conversions.

The photos may well be old, but I doubt that the media get too many opportunities to take new photos, each time they want to write a story.

Surely a refit of the interiors, while not cheap can't be THAT expensive.

Edit to add.

No sign of a computer!

The Mk3 shell and running gear is good for another 20 years at least. 16 HSTs are to be refurbed for Cornish mainline use to last at least until electrification down here (3127 ?!) so no probs there. I have always felt the interiors to be more office like rather than lounge like.

Its the business side of its use rather than Royal that brings in its revenue mainly.

• RMweb Gold

Actually, Kelly, it will probably be much quicker, and more cost efficient, to use a helicopter - may well involve less security people as well.

Yeah, and going by her maj's preformance at the opening ceremony of the olympics it wouldnt even have to land when she arrives at a function

The Royal Family do occasionally use a helicopter for journeys, but that involves a road element - the RAF keep a Land Rover Discovery that tows a fuel bowser, and an (off-road capable) fire/crash tender and they always go out whenever there is a royal visit by helicopter.

As the security element will still be the same at the destination.

There seems to be something perverted about the country having to provide a whole train for the richest woman in the world, but then, maybe, collecting 'gifts' is how the Saxe-Coburg's got their money.

Except that she isn't the richest woman in the world and not by a long way. It's also worth remembering that the Royal Train is not for her exclusive use, and in many ways is a far more sensible alternative than hiring out an entire hotel for a day or a night with all the attendant (and very expensive) security.

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be something perverted about the country having to provide a whole train for the richest woman in the world, but then, maybe, collecting 'gifts' is how the Saxe-Coburg's got their money.

I'm no rampant Royalist, but recognise that the wealth of the entire country is enhanced by the tourism that Her Maj and Co attract. A Royal Train would therefore seem a trivial expense in the land that gave the world railways.

• RMweb Gold

Closest Ive ever slept to royalty is when HRH The Duke of Cornwall dossed down in St Blazey :D

There is something slightly wrong though that a country (allegedly a wealthy one ) even has to think whether its Head of State should have a train to use......I can just imagine the USA scrapping Air Force One cos it Costs A Bit Ya Know  ...

You weren't by any chance one of the revolutionary cousin Jacks who hurled insults at the poor fellah that day were you :O ?  I warned the police (Keystones version thereof) that it would not be a good place but 'Sherlock' was convinced it was ideal as it had good access for his merry band while my preferred site with a very nice view of the River Fowey would have meant his poor fellahs would have had to plod much further.  Anyway he paid the price (not that it stopped him getting considerable promotion in later years).

• RMweb Premium

All very well Mike but we can't have the esteemed signalman of this parish going out photographing HRH's Shaving Car just because it's parked up across the causeway at Golant ;)

Archived