Prototype for everything corner.

Why not?  I got the impression at the time that it was a far from unusual sight - but then it was almost 50 years ago.

If you have or know of similar pics where the full consist can be identified I'd be pleased if you could post them as an adjunct to my question about SR 3Set 159 in the Southern Railway thread. Thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

How is this for weathering? Former Gatwick Express coaches that had been parked under trees for 6 years in Lisburn now at Adelaide, Belfast en route to the RPSI for preservation.

post-158-0-66693500-1484005602_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-59085900-1484005925_thumb.jpg

Photos by Matthew Wilson

Edited by Colin_McLeod

Here is 08950 fresh from overhaul in 1985 out shunting at Lawrence Hill without a cabside number

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/18049566000/in/photolist-kzEYTZ-tuYK8N

cheers

Interesting that the top of the battery and compressor boxes are painted black, I thought they were normally rail blue.

Here is 08950 fresh from overhaul in 1985 out shunting at Lawrence Hill without a cabside number

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/18049566000/in/photolist-kzEYTZ-tuYK8N

cheers

Interesting that the top of the battery and compressor boxes are painted black, I thought they were normally rail blue.

Also the footplate areas and possibly the cab roof, one wonders if Dapol had seen this picture :D

• RMweb Gold

If you have or know of similar pics where the full consist can be identified I'd be pleased if you could post them as an adjunct to my question about SR 3Set 159 in the Southern Railway thread. Thanks :)

It was the sort of thing you could see everyday and I simply didn't have the film available to bother with it.  Don't forget it was a time of great change with SWD steam coming to an end and new liveries coming out for everything and it wasn't a period of overnight change so some trains contained coaches in different liveries and could be seen steam hauled on the SWD.

• RMweb Gold

Looks about right to me.  The pic is clearly slightly overexposed judging by the old Departure 'box and other features to the right.  And a number of 1000s got into that condition or far worse; you should have seen D1000 itself in its final months before repainting from (mostly missing by then) 'desert sand' livery - far bigger mess than the one in that pic.

Simple fact is that Swindon's cheapo top coat paint jobs simply couldn't stand up to Exmover from Carriage Washing Machines (not than anything could if we're blunt about it) and there was loads of trouble with the Kensal Green CWM not rinsing properly over the years added to which the Plymouth machine was a through and back job where the loco inevitably got the worst deal because it was at one end of the train so either got rinsed too soon or too late.  Add to that a total lack of loco cleaning by hand on WR depots and once the Exmover was on all it did was eat paintwork.  There was an art to getting it off and I very much doubt that even if any loco depot staff had been available they wouldn't have had much idea of the materials and tricks need to get rid of Exmover staining (which were known to the staff in decent carriage cleaning depots).

To make matters worse, the hydraulics, built to a design philosophy in which great importance was placed on keeping the overall weight low to obtain a decent power/weight ratio, had bodies made of aluminium, not steel, and aluminium presents issues as regards keying the undercoat.  As a result, the paintwork was more susceptible to damage from Exmover, and indeed general attrition even on locos used for freight work which visited carriage washers less often; 'Swindon's cheapo paint jobs' didn't help!

• RMweb Gold

So were these used to stop road traffic at a level crossing? It looks that way, but I've never heard of semaphores being used for such a thing and in daytime would (most) drivers understand what they meant?

They were used to stop road traffic - but I can't ever remember seeing them in the Highway Code!

• RMweb Gold

To make matters worse, the hydraulics, built to a design philosophy in which great importance was placed on keeping the overall weight low to obtain a decent power/weight ratio, had bodies made of aluminium, not steel, and aluminium presents issues as regards keying the undercoat.  As a result, the paintwork was more susceptible to damage from Exmover, and indeed general attrition even on locos used for freight work which visited carriage washers less often; 'Swindon's cheapo paint jobs' didn't help!

IIRC the hydraulics with aluminium bodywork were the D600s and D6300s - and the DE D6100s - all built by NBL. The cab units were aluminium - the rest of the body was steel, along with all the bodywork on D800s, D1000s and D7000s

It was the load bearing stressed steel monocoque construction used in the D800 and D1000s rather than a heavy frame bed as used in D600s and D6300s - and also all other DEs up to D1500s - that made them light weight

Adhesion of paint has already been covered but was compounded by the use of Prestolinth paste as a filler on the stressed steel skins of D800s and D1000s to get a smooth surface - if water got behind the filler corrosion set in leading to loss of large chunks of painted filler - which we used to collect off D800s at Worcester!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

IIRC the hydraulics with aluminium bodywork were the D600s and D6300s - and the DE D6100s - all built by NBL. The cab units were aluminium - the rest of the body was steel, along with all the bodywork on D800s, D1000s and D7000s

It was the load bearing stressed steel monocoque construction used in the D800 and D1000s rather than a heavy frame bed as used in D600s and D6300s - and also all other DEs up to D1500s - that made them light weight

Adhesion of paint has already been covered but was compounded by the use of Prestolinth paste as a filler on the stressed steel skins of D800s and D1000s to get a smooth surface - if water got behind the filler corrosion set in leading to loss of large chunks of painted filler - which we used to collect off D800s at Worcester!

Cheers

Phil

On a visit to Swindon works I once saw a complete D63XX half cab front which had obviously be cast in aluminium (or several castings somehow joined together - very odd looking thing it was.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think it was several castings combined Mike

IIRC Swindon also had a spare D600 cab - which is paradoxical as I seem to remember reading that when one went back to NBL for accident repairs at least one cab was replaced with a steel fabrication...because they did not have a spare!

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So were these used to stop road traffic at a level crossing? It looks that way, but I've never heard of semaphores being used for such a thing and in daytime would (most) drivers understand what they meant?

Railway signals preceded traffic lights by about a century, I would guess, so most people would be familiar with them and could work out their meaning. I should think that the majority of traffic was even then still fairly local and drivers would soon get used to seeing them on their daily journeys. The flagmen mentioned in this thread were in authority and the signals may have been more of an advanced warning.

• RMweb Gold

Railway signals preceded traffic lights by about a century, I would guess, so most people would be familiar with them and could work out their meaning. I should think that the majority of traffic was even then still fairly local and drivers would soon get used to seeing them on their daily journeys. The flagmen mentioned in this thread were in authority and the signals may have been more of an advanced warning.

Although - somewhat amusingly - the first electric traffic lights to be used at a British road junction were modified railway daylight colour-light signals.