Prototype for everything corner.

I do have a book called strangest railway stories and in it there was a item in it that said that a farmer refused to sell his land to the railway company so the railway company got a compulsory purchase order and built the railway straighT through the farmers bedroom on the second floor

• RMweb Gold

Shortly after I started on the railway as a Canton freight guard in 1970, a freight (nothing to do with me!) derailed on the curve between Ponthir and Caerleon between Pontypool Road and Newport, with most of the wagons running down an embankment and overturning in a farmer's field.  With his eye on bagging a bit of spilled coal, said farmer refused to allow the breakdown crew on to his land, and an altercation developed.  It was settled by the breakdown foreman, who informed the farmer that he was Delaying Her Majesty's Mails, still considered High Treason and punishable by death.  Farmer yielded.

Demin's story sounds like many incidents that occurred in the US during the railway building era; I am pretty certain that UK compulsory purchases, the means by which Acts of Parliaments gave railway companies the power to purchase the necessary land, included space to the side of the formation that would preclude actually running through buildings, though of course property was cut up in exactly that way!

When I was a child, the family possessed a 78rpm record called 'The Railroad Runs Through The Middle Of The House', a sort of comedy thing that I loved when I was little, but no doubt with it's roots in some of the shennanigans that some of the old American companies got up to!

• Like 3

When I was a child, the family possessed a 78rpm record called 'The Railroad Runs Through The Middle Of The House', a sort of comedy thing that I loved when I was little, but no doubt with it's roots in some of the shennanigans that some of the old American companies got up to!

See the post immediately above yours!

• RMweb Premium

Photo taken at Polesworth yesterday.  Note the leaning lamppost on right hand side.

post-19248-0-99582700-1490478195.jpg

After the train had gone, I spent some time looking at the southbound platform (the one behind the train) wondering how anyone got onto it. There was no access gate, no footbridge, no ramp to bridge over.  Looking closer there were no nameboards.  Another photographer explained, Polesworth only has one train a day and it goes north, so nothing stops at the southbound platform.  A few minutes later that statement proved to be false, a Pendilino drew to a halt at the platform, but only for a signal check.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Photo taken at Polesworth yesterday. Note the leaning lamppost on right hand side.

attachicon.gifIMG_7484.jpg

After the train had gone, I spent some time looking at the southbound platform (the one behind the train) wondering how anyone got onto it. There was no access gate, no footbridge, no ramp to bridge over. Looking closer there were no nameboards. Another photographer explained, Polesworth only has one train a day and it goes north, so nothing stops at the southbound platform. A few minutes later that statement proved to be false, a Pendilino drew to a halt at the platform, but only for a signal check.

Polesworth used to have a footbridge between the up and down platforms, but it was removed during the WCML upgrade a decade of so ago due to its condition. Unfortunately passenger numbers were minuscule (not surprising given the meagre service provided to some stations on the Trent Vallley line at that time) so it wasn't financially viable to provide a replacement (Bering in mind any replacement would have had to have complied with disability access requirements and come with ramps or lifts).

The alternative of providing acces from a nearby road bridge would have required the purchase of additional land to form an access pathway - and again the finances didn't stack up.

As such Polesworth became a station only served by down trains. At the time of the demolition however 'local' stopping services along the Trent valley were rather spares in nature - it was only a few years later when LM received their Desiro fleet that the opportunity was taken to provide an hourly direct stopping train from Rugely, Litchfield, etc to Euston (with Virgin trains losing some of their stops to speed them up) that Polesworths status of only having a down platform became a big issue.

Edited by phil-b259

For those who don't have enough room to run a long rake of wagons, or want to run a short branch line with main line locos from today, how about this:

post-21664-0-98297200-1490547863_thumb.jpg

Seen yesterday (25/3) on the Ribble Railway in Preston during their Spring Diesel Gala.

Thanks,

Jack.

• Like 9

Sydney took inspiration and copied the idea-

http://www.monorails.org/webpix%202/Sydney04.jpg

And the Gold Coast liked it so much they decided to run through two buildings!

https://www.instagram.com/p/5J2_mNrukE/

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/621f353084756966c17ef882ba669e30?width=650

Sadly both of these systems recently closed down.

• Like 1

That power car appears to have been a 0Z43 1415 Neville Hill to Craigentinny 

which went Neville Hill-Leeds-Normanton-Kirkgate-Westgate-Leeds-Micklefield etc. Presumably routed that way in order to get the power car the right way round for the other end of the journey. Where's the nearest turntable when you need one!
Edited by eastwestdivide

That power car appears to have been a 0Z43 1415 Neville Hill to Craigentinny 

which went Neville Hill-Leeds-Normanton-Kirkgate-Westgate-Leeds-Micklefield etc. Presumably routed that way in order to get the power car the right way round for the other end of the journey. Where's the nearest turntable when you need one!

Strange routing when all it needed was to be turned at Neville Hill on their turntable and exited the depot via the west end ground frame!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

Strange routing when all it needed was to be turned at Neville Hill on their turntable and exited the depot via the west end ground frame!

Mark Saunders

I was sure there is still a turntable at Neville Hill, so I couldn't work out what was going on !!! :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Phil.

I was sure there is still a turntable at Neville Hill, so I couldn't work out what was going on !!! :scratchhead:

Cheers,

Phil.

Alternatively there was the simple way of off the depot via Leeds Station, Methley, Castleford, Milford and rejoin at Churchfenton!

Mark Saunders 

Mark Saunders

It came off the west end, the east end ground frame is a right piece of c***. so it far easier to come off the west end. The routing via Kirkgate may be down to driver rout knowledge. The working was due to no spare power car at EC to replace 43314.

• RMweb Premium

How about this piece of trackwork?

attachicon.gifIMG_7495.jpg

It looks like a massive expansion joint with check rails to stop the trains falling off. Although why you'd need expansion joints that big I don't know. Does it go alternately through a glacier and an active volcano?!

Maybe the track gang had forgotten to bring a saw that day.