Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

I've got to add my tuppence worth. I wish for an end to coreless motors being used. I was very pro-DJM when it surfaced, wishing the venture well, but alas there is no way I can support it when these motors are used.

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

May I ask why?

My coreless motor is the most reliable motor I've ever put in a loco, and the move by others to use coreless motors is happening, so I'd be interested in your opinion.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Stewart,

May I ask why?

My coreless motor is the most reliable motor I've ever put in a loco, and the move by others to use coreless motors is happening, so I'd be interested in your opinion.

Cheers

Dave

I've said it before, and I am a Luddite! I have a large collection of varying ages. ALL run well, and VERY slowly, thanks to a home built PWM controller. I've yet to see any controller match it (not my design btw.). I have no need nor desire to change it (actually  - I should have said them). So a coreless is a definite no go area for me. I also use RELCO cleaners, and the line will be extended outside in the garden, where I feel they will be a bonus. I am also NOT into DCC. So if the motors I use take more space - no problem. Or if they are modern small ones (not coreless) they tuck nicely away. I've also heard ( but not experienced) comments about the class 71 being sluggish - I take this at face value, but it is a worrying sign. I will never experience it personally however - and have no need for a 71 either.

Not yours I know, but the upcoming Rapido/Model Rail J70 is to have a coreless motor. I have a kitbuilt one which has a CCT motor tucked in under the boiler - no intrusion. Yet the MR one is quoted as needing a coreless to get it hidden. Why? As the GER area is my home territory, I was really looking forward to this. I now won't be ordering any, I was looking at taking 3 (unusual duplication for me).

Seems like change for changes sake to me. Still, no loss to me.

Stewart

Stewart

A thowt yeah'd be asking for a G5. .

John

No, personally no interest in the G5. A8 or N10 different matter on the tank locomotive front. I recon Hornby will do a G5 in the near future anyway. I know someone involved has spoken with them. But of course that's absolutely no guarantee they are interested in producing one.

No, personally no interest in the G5. A8 or N10 different matter on the tank locomotive front. I recon Hornby will do a G5 in the near future anyway. I know someone involved has spoken with them. But of course that's absolutely no guarantee they are interested in producing one.

A G5 would be nice but I've already got one.... :)

post-13358-0-85623100-1499206852_thumb.jpg

And no, I'm not moving the dome as there were a few with it in this place rather than on the front ring of the boiler.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 4

I've also heard ( but not experienced) comments about the class 71 being sluggish - I take this at face value, but it is a worrying sign.

I was under the impression the class 71 had a slower top speed, than other race-away locos, because the gearing was designed to replicate the prototypes scale top speed. However, as well as gearing there are a host of other potential reasons for a model to seem sluggish: controller, track condition, track feeds, loco pick-ups, drive train, wheel bearings, etc., rather than just the motor. Rather than being worried it's probably best to undertake some investigation.

G

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression the class 71 had a slower top speed, than other race-away locos, because the gearing was designed to replicate the prototypes scale top speed. However, as well as gearing there are a host of other potential reasons for a model to seem sluggish: controller, track condition, track feeds, loco pick-ups, drive train, wheel bearings, etc., rather than just the motor. Rather than being worried it's probably best to undertake some investigation.

G

Top speed is slow, but slow speed control is unbelievable. I slowed mine down until I thought it stalled and then realised it was still moving. Probably doing something like 1cm every 3 seconds.

Roy

Top speed is slow, but slow speed control is unbelievable. I slowed mine down until I thought it stalled and then realised it was still moving. Probably doing something like 1cm every 3 seconds.

Roy

As I said, I take it at face value, I'm not in the market for a 71 anyway.

With my homebuilt controller, I can take a VERY old Triang Jinty chassis (with solid wheels!) as built, and watch the X04 motor pulse round slowly. It takes about 5 seconds for the tensionlock coupling to ride over the adjacent one. Another loco, with a Romford motor & 60:1 gears (Wills J69) takes an hour to complete a circle of smallest radius Hornby track. I don't need coreless.

Stewart

• Like 1

Hi Guys

Sorry if this has been asked before but over 50 pages and not wanting to stroll throw them to fined out lol but would there be any interest in the LNER W1 hush hush locomotive it sure would look great along side the Hornby P2

Thanks

Alan

• RMweb Gold

One for the clever bods on here, I am neither for or against coreless motors. And though I under stand the lower power needed plus better low speed control that comes with a coreless motor. Does the lack of a metal core effect the motors torque and pulling power?

My suggestion is a 7mm scale J10. Small goods engine (that also worked passenger trains) and very long-lived. Ideal branch engine. All sorts of variants possible. 

• RMweb Premium

Like Stewart I'd prefer a move away from Coreless motors. I also use electronic track cleaners which work very well on my loft layout . Good slow speed running and they have cut the amount of time I spend cleaning track drastically. While I might be tempted by at 14/48/58xx it's ruled out because of its Coreless motor.

I would have thought being a new manufacturer you need to cast your net as wide as possible and produce something compatible with most prospective customers. To me that means go to something more mainstream in motors .

Have any of the endless wish list suggestions posted over the last 50 pages or so, and over nearly four years now, ever made it to being produced as a model or even announced as one for the future?

G

Have any of the endless wish list suggestions posted over the last 50 pages or so, and over nearly four years now, ever made it to being produced as a model or even announced as one for the future?

G

Does it matter? I look on it as free market research, and thank anyone and everyone who posts ideas.

Does it matter? 

If it doesn't matter, then what is the point? And I'd have thought that better quality free market research can be found by looking at the results of the large annual wish list polls undertaken and published in great depth. Do you actually record the wish list suggestions on this thread and analyse them?

But my query was really an 'out there' thought; a kind of rhetorical question to make people think.

G.

If it doesn't matter, then what is the point? And I'd have thought that better quality free market research can be found by looking at the results of the large annual wish list polls undertaken and published in great depth. Do you actually record the wish list suggestions on this thread and analyse them?

But my query was really an 'out there' thought; a kind of rhetorical question to make people think.

G.

I was actually questioning why you said it to start with.

To some of us it does matter. I read every posting, I make a note, and sometimes, if I'm able, I try and implement a suggestion.

• Like 2

I read every posting, I make a note, and sometimes, if I'm able, I try and implement a suggestion.

Okay, good to know. But back to my original question - have any of the wish list suggestions on this thread ever made it to being produced as a model or announced as one for the future?

G.

Okay, good to know. But back to my original question - have any of the wish list suggestions on this thread ever made it to being produced as a model or announced as one for the future?

G.

Hopefully Dave is secretly working on a Class 28.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G.

Why would you need to know? If you are cynical about the thread and the motives for it being created - ignore it.

Dave monitors the thread and, if there appears to be sufficient demand, he may produce a frequently suggested subject.

End of story - what else do you need to know?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Hi Dave

Maybe not as OT as it first may appear..

Could I just ask Dave if the replacement of your Eurofighter Typhoon Avatar with a NB Class 21 works plate is in any way a subliminal hint????

Accompanying a picture on Flicker I found the following narrative: -

North British Locomotive Co Class 29 No 6102 and withdrawn No 6106 at Eastfield shed Glasgow.

6102 (Wks No 27683) had been delivered to 34B Horsey on 23rd December 1958, was rebuilt from Class 21 to Class 29 in June 1966, withdrawn in October 1971 and scrapped at Glasgow Works in August 1972.

​Roy

• Like 2

And I'd have thought that better quality free market research can be found by looking at the results of the large annual wish list polls undertaken and published in great depth. 

The wish list polls, while I assume useful for the manufacturers, have the limitation that it is to a certain extent an arbitrary look at the hobby.  The people running the polls have made decisions as to which prototypes to allow in the poll, and given the nature of the amount of work involved in creating and running the polls some of the decisions mean wanted models aren't available to vote for (*).

It is also worth remembering that the polls are also limited by who actually bothers to vote, and so aren't necessarily an entirely accurate representation of the hobby and that is without considering the impulse purchases than can occur when some hobbyists are presented with a model that look really good.

The advantage of a wish list is it presents the opportunity (that not everyone takes advantage of) to present a BRIEF justification as to why a person thinks a particular model might do well.

* - circumstances mean my modelling is on indefinite hold, so this is entirely hypothetical.  But the polls tend to use an arbitrary date cut off on models that doesn't take into account the quality / accuracy of the existing models.  As such the polls don't allow me to vote for a new Class 50 or HST (in OO) as there are "new" models of those available even though to me the are either not as good as they could be or don't look quite right.