PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Four kits for me. Two are partly made but to a fairly good standard. These are the 5 plank PO and the NE cattle wagon. the other PO is new and untouched. The SR bogies are a different ball game.

post-13601-0-66581900-1519418666_thumb.jpg

One is started but has been built inside out so will need remaking all the parts seem to be there, which is good. I have a brass Mainsell CK which theses will go under. I had some cast bogies but these will be much nicer. Now before you ask I can't remember the brand of coach.  Also has anyone got a set 0f instructions I could have a copy of. I would  be very grateful.

I have a whole host of fittings and tools that I collect over the last year to sort out. Its always like Christmas when I go to the daughters. Some things I forget that I bought.

I am a little disappointed that the E2 I bought for a Thomas for Pedro did not arrive in time, I was a bit p!ssed with William at Ace for not posting until  14 days after payment. Not leaving enough time for second class. So now I have to spend on international post and hope it will escape customs charges.

I am also ordering my Finney7 M7 class. I will collect it from daughters next trip over.

Sorry  rubbish photo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chriss that would be great. I reckon my first one will be a bu@@er as it will need turning the right way out. Just hope not too much breaks.

Sorry, I've forgotten haven't I. Knew there was something I had to do with the scanner... Will sort this weekend.

• 2 months later...

Here we go with another build from ACE products. It is a LBSCR E2, but from this moment on will be known as Thomas. Although it's not for me it will not be leaving the household, so thought here was the best bet to write it up.

I will be doing certain things so that with a small amount work will be able to to be turned back into an E2.

We start as usual with the frames these were joined and de cusped, and had the brake hanger holes moved so they hang correctly. I also added a little rivet detail to the ashpan and firebox. There are two sorts of spacers which there a 4 of one size and 2 of another. Fortunately the four are enough. There is also a motion bracket, which also is a different size but this I will be able to over come.

Next job will be to assemble the frames. I will be just springing the centre axle as per Jazz of this parish.

post-13601-0-71386400-1525967116_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-19493400-1525967129_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-90816200-1525967151_thumb.jpg

Not sure what you are supposed to do with these coupling rods. I think they will need a little work to work.

post-13601-0-41354000-1525967171_thumb.jpg

I have found on Shapeways some faces for Thomas, these are 4mm but am awaiting a reply to see if they can be enlarged to 7mm. If I can get it, it will save me a lot of effort.

Edited by N15class
  • Like 2

Progress has been slow, not much time at the bench.

I have manage though to get the frames together. I was pleasantly surprised the went together very well. The spacers just needed  thinning slightly. I am making the coupling rods at the moment. I will then fit the bearings.

post-13601-0-73891600-1526564032_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-06235000-1526564046_thumb.jpg

More soon I hope.

• Like 8

There's good news, Thomas has his boots on.

I made up the coupling rods, I did these with a bit of cutting and making the joint a lap joint rather than a forked one. It saved having to get an extra layer fitted. Next was to fit the bushes, here in lays a problem. the hole centres in the coupling rods do not match the frames. Not sure whether the frames or the rods are right , I've gone with the rods. Question did these locos have an equal wheel base. The rods are as near as damn it equal.

The spring wires for the centre axle are 0.7mm nickel silver wire. Seems to work well with a light downward thrust.

I would like to say it ran straight from fitting the wheels but that would be a lie. I don't know what I did wrong but I felt I was very careful in setting it up. I have rest the bushes again but not cured one tight spot. I need to remove one front bush and elongate the hole a little more.

post-13601-0-38743200-1526998403_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-11232800-1526998414_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-48032400-1526998434_thumb.jpg

I am now hoping the new holes I drilled for the brake hangers are still usable as the front bushes are at least 0.5mm further forward. All in all I am happy the way its going. The binding was of my own making, and not checking enough. The JPL jig I have is a bit fiddly with bushes as you need about five hands to hold all parts in place while checking.

• Like 4

There's good news, Thomas has his boots on.

I made up the coupling rods, I did these with a bit of cutting and making the joint a lap joint rather than a forked one. It saved having to get an extra layer fitted. Next was to fit the bushes, here in lays a problem. the hole centres in the coupling rods do not match the frames. Not sure whether the frames or the rods are right , I've gone with the rods. Question did these locos have an equal wheel base. The rods are as near as damn it equal.

The spring wires for the centre axle are 0.7mm nickel silver wire. Seems to work well with a light downward thrust.

I would like to say it ran straight from fitting the wheels but that would be a lie. I don't know what I did wrong but I felt I was very careful in setting it up. I have rest the bushes again but not cured one tight spot. I need to remove one front bush and elongate the hole a little more.

attachicon.gif004.JPG

attachicon.gif005.JPG

attachicon.gif006.JPG

I am now hoping the new holes I drilled for the brake hangers are still usable as the front bushes are at least 0.5mm further forward. All in all I am happy the way its going. The binding was of my own making, and not checking enough. The JPL jig I have is a bit fiddly with bushes as you need about five hands to hold all parts in place while checking.

hi. You asked about the correct wheelbase. The E2s were indeed equal at 8ft-8ft. Ace kits really are dreadful aren't they.

hi. You asked about the correct wheelbase. The E2s were indeed equal at 8ft-8ft. Ace kits really are dreadful aren't they.

Hi

Thanks for that. It looked equal in the broadside photos.

They are all different. There are some good ones, as well some that are poor and others that are terrible. I have done a few, I know what to expect. The frames in this must be wrong as the coupling rods almost fit either way around now.

I will find out more about the kit when I start the body.

Hi

Thanks for that. It looked equal in the broadside photos.

They are all different. There are some good ones, as well some that are poor and others that are terrible. I have done a few, I know what to expect. The frames in this must be wrong as the coupling rods almost fit either way around now.

I will find out more about the kit when I start the body.

have you ever tried the 4mm kits? Some of them make jidenco/falcon seem sophisticated haha

Last nights hour at the bench was spent sorting out Thomas's tight spot. Well after moving it around the four corners it finally left by the side door. It now fee wheels beautifully. I did also make a start on the brakes to jam up the workings totally.

Once the brakes are done I will I think get the Jubilee to the same state. I have been putting this one off as the hangers and shoes need to be scratch built for both loco and tender.

• Like 1

......Ace kits really are dreadful aren't they.

The thing is, some of them are available in 4mm scale too, so that we can also share in the horrors that await. Years ago, I think I saw a couple for sale on the Isinglass drawings stand at a show.

It was the H2 Brighton Atlantic I really wanted to have a go at (and it looked reasonably priced for a 4mm kit), but then someone showed me the titanic struggle they had endured in trying to make a goer of an Ace Gresley O2. Suddenly I didn't feel so keen.....

• Like 1

Hi Peter,

As the only Southern modeller I know, can you help me with a livery question?

I have just finished building a 7mm model of a B4 with the original cutaway cab. It was part built when I got it with the early cab already fitted.

So, If my internet research is valid, none of these original cab versions ever reached BR ownership. The internet also stated that the filled in cabs were fitted during the war to hide the glow from fire boxes! I take that with a pinch of salt as there are photographs taken in the '30's showing filled in cabs.

My question is, can I paint my version, cutaway cab, in plain black with yellow SOUTHERN and the number below on the tank side and which number would be appropriate?

Or, what would be the latest livery, in Southern days, that I could get away with, with the early cab?

Regards

Sandy