PETES WORKBENCH. Scratch building a LSWR 0395 class, long term project

N15class

Hi Peter; I heartily agree, those lamp irons are superb and well worth the work in making them. I'm really enjoying your build. I also fondly remember the Train Shop at Warwick, I reckon it must have closed about 20 years ago, we often used to go to the Curry House round the corner from it!

Also, my supply of half-round wire has recently run out and I've been unable to find more. Could you tell me where you source yours?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Peter. Probably teaching you to suck eggs here.  I straighten wire, round or half round, by clamping one end in the vice and a good grip on the opposite in pliers and snap pull it straight. Works a treat every time. (Best done before you cut to short lengths obviously)

Great way to make those lamp irons BTW.

Thanks Ken.

I just pull, but snatching sounds much better. Must mount the vice better though before trying.

Hi Peter; I heartily agree, those lamp irons are superb and well worth the work in making them. I'm really enjoying your build. I also fondly remember the Train Shop at Warwick, I reckon it must have closed about 20 years ago, we often used to go to the Curry House round the corner from it!

Also, my supply of half-round wire has recently run out and I've been unable to find more. Could you tell me where you source yours?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon

My wire is from Metalsmiths I think they have 3 sizes. By far the best I have used.

I think The Train sop close longer ago than that. I left the area in 87 and at that time they were closed but had things going on with SMP track. Doesn't time fly. I used to meet my uncle there when he was involved with Models and Leisure kits.

• Like 1

This is the tender finished, apart from the castings.

I added the rest of the detail to the rear of the tender. The vacuum pipe is fixed to the footplate, rather than the body.

post-13601-0-22728300-1417546426_thumb.jpg

The front steps have been added, these fit straight to the frames.

post-13601-0-62563300-1417546444_thumb.jpg

And the coal rails have been made and fixed. Not sure if these are a 100% because I had to model them from 3/4 angle photos. I an not sure if they come to far forward.

post-13601-0-37157600-1417546463_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-44099900-1417546482_thumb.jpg

Now to do some cleaning up on the tender and then back to the loco, but with only a little model making time left before the holiday, I doubt much will be done.

• Like 2

This is a very impressive thread, you make everything look so easy and straightforward. I'm getting the itch to scratchbuild something and it's partly caused by this thread. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Gareth

Go on have a go, it is well worth it. There are lots of people on here that will guide you. There is nothing like knowing there is no other one the same.

There is also the greater feeling of satisfaction than kit building etc. Even my early models from 30 years ago gave me more pleasure even though they were quite crude by todays standard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That's what I call a tender! Very nice work, Pete. Tenders are a bit overlooked by us modellers sometimes, I think. This one has real class. Lots of mass and bulk. 

Thanks Gareth

Go on have a go, it is well worth it. There are lots of people on here that will guide you. There is nothing like knowing there is no other one the same.

There is also the greater feeling of satisfaction than kit building etc. Even my early models from 30 years ago gave me more pleasure even though they were quite crude by todays standard.

I have a series of articles from MRJ on how to scratchbuild a Manning Wardle 0-4-0. Thinking of having a go over Christmas, once term is over.

That's what I call a tender! Very nice work, Pete. Tenders are a bit overlooked by us modellers sometimes, I think. This one has real class. Lots of mass and bulk. 

Thanks Mikkel

I have enjoyed doing it. I am looking forward to picking up the castings. Once done I will have to start something for it to run on.

I have a series of articles from MRJ on how to scratchbuild a Manning Wardle 0-4-0. Thinking of having a go over Christmas, once term is over.

Gareth

That's a nice little project. A simple design with lots of character. Have you the castings? 

• Like 1

Gareth

That's a nice little project. A simple design with lots of character. Have you the castings? 

I don't, but RT Models sell their MW castings separately, I think they do most if not all of what I need. But I'd get most of the sheetwork done first, just to make sure I'm actually doing the project.

I don't, but RT Models sell their MW castings separately, I think they do most if not all of what I need. But I'd get most of the sheetwork done first, just to make sure I'm actually doing the project.

If you order the wheels when you start the chassis, you will get a great boost when it all starts rolling. makes you want to get the rest done.

Hi Peter

Your comment about taking stuff on aeroplanes reminded of this.

I had an interesting trip up to Inverness the other week on Flybe. I was taking up some of my HR models that I had sold to a guy just outside Inverness and I had them in my cabin baggage. The X-ray operator at Birmingham security took a good three or four minutes trying to work out what he was seeing before he allowed my case through!!

Cracking build by the way.

Regards

Sandy

Hi Peter

Your comment about taking stuff on aeroplanes reminded of this.

I had an interesting trip up to Inverness the other week on Flybe. I was taking up some of my HR models that I had sold to a guy just outside Inverness and I had them in my cabin baggage. The X-ray operator at Birmingham security took a good three or four minutes trying to work out what he was seeing before he allowed my case through!!

Cracking build by the way.

Regards

Sandy

Thanks Sandy

Most of my stuff gets put in the hold. With the fragile bits boxed and wrapped in clothes.

Thanks Sandy

Most of my stuff gets put in the hold. With the fragile bits boxed and wrapped in clothes.

It is only an hours flight for me, and I usually only stay for a couple of days, so cabin baggage is fine (Scotsman in me!) From Brazil? Different ball game!!!!!

Regards

Sandy

This may well be the last progress report on here until after Christmas.

Managed a little today, in between tidying the house ready for our holiday. It is always nice to come home to a clean and tidy house.

Just the roof done today a simple looking thing that was quite fiddly to get looking right. I also did start the front framing above the footplate and the valve chest cover. But there is nothing to show there. I have also been looking how to do the sandbox, cylinder drain cock and the reversing levers.

Here are today's progress photos.

post-13601-0-91993700-1417721822_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-46860100-1417721846_thumb.jpg

As you can see it is beginning to look quite like a proper loco.

post-13601-0-62414900-1417721879_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-68277500-1417721899_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

That looks really nice Peter. Just needs a little festive tinsel to finish it off. Ho ho ho.

Thanks Chris

I would add some tinsel but I find it very hard to get in the Christmas spirit when the sun is shining and it is about 38 degrees. Next week being cold in Paris might kick start it.

Very impressive Peter.  Starting to look like a 0395 now.

Thanks Paul

That's it now until the new year. I am looking forward to trying the castings on it to see if the hard work has worked out right.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well the new year has started and I need to get some sort of plan sorted out in my head for this years model making. I know the 0395 class needs finishing. But there are so many other things I want to get started.

First is as I say finish my 0395. I have the castings so should be quite easy to get done.

Then I want to start my layout, based on the track plan of Bodmin SR. For this I will also do a 2.5 metre test track on a shelf. one to perfect my track building and scenery it will also serve for testing and photographing my builds. This will be a long term project I still need to buy my track building kit and get it shipped to Brazil.

I have also got  the scratch building bug again so I will restock my materials and think about what to do. The list of locos in stock in one for or another is, 700, 0395, 0298, M7 and A12. So I am leaning towards an Adams 4-4-0 or 0-4-4T. It will interesting researching and deciding.

I have got a little stock of builds to to do for sale. First up on the blog will be an Ivatt class2 tank. followed in no particular order, a Dukedog, a V3, and a stepped footplate H15. These should keep me out of trouble for a while.

I have also to get some coaching stock sorted. I must finish the driving end for my Pull Push unit. I have also got a couple ex SW Circle etched kirts to build. 

So the plan looks like by Christmas my own modelling will have a test track with two turnouts and a scenic photo section. The base boards for Bodmin constructed, and the track laid. The 0395 completed and another loco scratch build started. Three coaches built. This would give me two, two coach sets to play with on my layout.

The ones for sale will be the priority on my time as these pay for my toys and as it looks like we will be back in the UK in September and I promised the car rental will be payed for from one of these.

Over Christmas I have been looking and getting inspiration from quality layouts shown on here.

Well must try and get rested need to be at Heathrow at 04:00 tomorrow.

• Like 1

Exciting times ahead. Looking forward to following your progress.

Second to building locos is planning new layout. My current layout, Makenbach, will be around for the forceable future though.

Edited by jazz