Thanks, glad you like them. I made a couple more this evening. These guys area little Big to fit properly on the rolling road soi had to use a little license.

The first is a BLI Pennsylvania Railroad Q2. Quite a beast.

The next in BLI again, PRR T1.

Dan

• Like 3

Quick vid featuring my original farish 37417 fitted with a Zimo MX648 and Mr Chetter's sounds, along with directional lighting. Also featured is my non-sound 03!

Filmed on my work in progress layout 'Jedburgh'.

Hope you like!

Ian B

• Like 2

Bachmann English Electric Type 4 and Sulzer Type 4 shunting

Lovely videos, and a nice bit of sound.

I notice that both locos tended to shoot off when then started.......have you adjusted any of the CV values on the sound decoders, or are they straight from the box so to speak.??

Perhaps a higher value for CV3 would smooth the acceleration.

Not being critical....just trying to help.

Were both locos bought with sound already fitted, or are they special projects..??

Bob

Bob.

Lovely videos, and a nice bit of sound.

I notice that both locos tended to shoot off when then started.......have you adjusted any of the CV values on the sound decoders, or are they straight from the box so to speak.??

Perhaps a higher value for CV3 would smooth the acceleration.

Not being critical....just trying to help.

Were both locos bought with sound already fitted, or are they special projects..??

Bob

Bob.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't noticed it to be honest until you mentioned it. I was trying to make sure the locomotives didn't stall during the filming so I think I may have given the control too much power to overcome this, resulting in the less than realistic jolt as if overcoming inertia. I'll be posting a few more videos with different locomotives later and I will try and start them moving at the slowest pace to see if that looks more realistic. Do please let me know if it's still apparent. Both models are factory fitted from Bachmann.

• 3 months later...

http://youtu.be/oygg14h-sZA Here's a driver eye view from a GW auto coach. I should add this was a test to see how it worked and yes it works rather nicely. I was going to remove the thick plastic windows but decided that if I did most would think that the camera was on a flat wagon with a false auto coach mock up in front of the lens.

The person racing around and shutting covers is me because it started to rain. The camera was totally protected by plastic film so it didn't get wet. Once I'd got everything pack and closed up............ the sun came out again.

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As recommended by Paul, here is a couple of videos I have made of my first foray into N gauge sound. Apologies for some copying from my build thread...

Having spent a bit more time with the grid and a phone call to Digitrains in Lincoln made me realise the sound set was in fact very old and a newer and more superior set was in fact available. A trip to Lincoln on friday afternoon rectified that...

N gauge Dapol 56 DCC Sound:

Whilst there and chatting to the ever helpful Paul my arm was twisted into new toy position and this was the result...

N gauge Farish 37 DCC sound:

The 37 is an interesting one. I had always believed that sound in N required major surgery... with this one all I did was unclip the cab interiors and plug the 6 pin Zimo Mx646 in. The speaker fits in the other cab space. The speaker end lifts the body by about 1mm. Some light filing will relieve that...

• Like 1

Just to show that I don't restrict my activities to providing sound for R-T-R models, here's a kit-built 7mm narrow gauge model for a change with a custom sound project specified by the owner.

They are all short clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3GRpJcOUYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGl29-f3fyA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMDqDthKBRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAIehUOYM1s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebki0grmxtw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea-gtxBHuJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfQHSRTp22w

Kind regards,

Paul

Hello Steve, also sounds like the toddler out of view was also enjoying the thrash!

I hope to get a video done over the weekend of a recent class 24 conversion, again using Paul's multi-drive. Funny enough I am currently doing a 47, its in bits in my lounge. I have removed some metal from the chassis where the fuel tanks are to fit a sugar-cube speaker, plus filed a groove down the side for the speaker wires to go. My intention is to fit cab lighting too eventually! Most difficult part of the conversion will be working out which coloured wire goes to the headcode lamps/lail lights - its not obvious on farish models.

Cheers,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hell Paul,

I managed to put in the wrong address for the link first time round, but did notice it still shows video unavailable if you click on even it after I corrected it. I am going to be putting in a new video within the next week or 2 (a pair of Dapol 26's), so I will repost this link at the same time,hopefully with better results. The link on n gauge forum does seem to work though.

Sorry, you will not be able to sleep in the real hotel at Achnasheen as it burnt down in 1994! I hope to put in some lighting and some interior bar detail eventually, so if you can beam yourself down to 2mm scale you are welcome to drink in the bar....

Paul,

The link isn't working for me directly.

I copied the link to my browser address bar and got the video.

Nice video. Can anyone get to sleep in that hotel?

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very effective. Would you mind posting some details of the camera you used for that, please?

The camera I used for these shots (and other shots in the future) is a Sony AS100V Action Cam. It is oblong in shape with the lens at the top. One of it's many features is a function called "Flip" which means that held the right way up the footage taken is upside down. But if you invert the camera the lens is now at the bottom and the footage taken is the right way up. I had an outtake of an A4 with the camera inverted at track side level and a OO gauge A4 looks like an O gauge A4 close up.

If you are thinking of buying one of these cameras be warned it's not a cheap toy and for me here in Australia it cost me $600.00.

It is WiFi controlled and you wear an small LCD screen on your wrist which acts as a view finder. The camera was held in place on the platform with nothing more sophisticated than two sausages of Blu-Tak.

I also used the camera in the inverted position to film from the inside of an old GWR Autocoach.post-19545-0-60396600-1412058917.jpg This is the camera the right way up.

post-19545-0-63293600-1412058818.jpg The camera inverted inside the Autocoach. The tape on the windows is to stop light intrusion on the lens.

post-19545-0-70645200-1412058784.jpg The view from inside the Autocoach but not level. The symbols clockwise are, no memory card in the camera, fully charged battery and camera in video mode.

post-19545-0-91810300-1412058765.jpg The camera is now level thanks to the sausages of Blu-Tak.

It looks a bit Heath Robinson but it does work. That LCD screen can control 5 of those AS100V cams at once.

http://youtu.be/oygg14h-sZA

Edited by faulcon1
  • Like 1

Unlike a lot of HD mini cameras which are just standard resolution this action cam has a variety of resolutions to choose from.

Highest Resolution PS (Smooth image recorded at 2x frame rate) 1920x1080, Imaging and playback frame rate 60 NTSC/50 PAL.

Highest Resolution HQ 1920x1080, Imaging and playback frame rate 30 NTSC/25 PAL.

High Resolution STD 1280x720, Imaging and playback frame rate 30 NTSC/25 PAL.

High Speed Recording HS 120 (Smooth image recorded at 4x frame rate) 1280x720, Imaging and playback frame rate 120 NTSC/100 PAL.

High Speed Recording HS 240 (Smooth image recorded at 8x frame rate) 800x480, Imaging and frame rate 240 NTSC/ 200 PAL.

Super Slow Recording SSLOW (Super slow motion recorded at 4x frame rate) 1280x720, Imaging frame rate 120 NTSC/100 PAL, Playback frame rate 30 NTSC/ 25 PAL.

Standard Resolution VGA 640x480, Imaging and playback frame rate 30 NTSC/25 PAL.

There is certainly enough choices there to keep most people happy.