Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby announce J15

hornbyandbf3fan

Thanks for the advice so far.

My point about the side window cabs was that as they were also most of the class that were vacuum fitted, if there was a reason for the vacuum fitting on the side window cab variants that related to them being designed for the Colne Valley, then would  a non-window cab, vaccum fitted, version also be likely to turn up on the same branch.

And my understanding is the cab window version was designed for the Colne Valley where steam hauled passenger services tended to run the 20-odd miles Haverhill to Marks Tey rather than the Stour Valley where they ran Cambridge to Colchester where there was a turntable each end. Of course they did turn-up on the latter and other places.

Thanks for the tip about the GERS, I am a longstanding  member, thoroughly recommend it and will probably post on the site at some point if someone doesnt beat me to it, but felt posting on here will get any answers to a wider potential audience. Also I am slightly less interested in a more perfect model (which is probably beyond my capabilities) than a plausable back story that I can tell myself!

Can anyone tell me the shed code on the other 2 models (LNER and late BR) please?

• Like 1

I can understand the need for compromise to keep costs to a realistic level, the case for some simplification is indeed reasonable...

Seems to me a well chosen 'mix'. Appears to be right in general dimensions and appearance, has a mechanism that performs well. Enough detail to suggest the fittings are present when viewed on a running loco; scope for the modeller to add extra detail as desired, without having first to cut away any moulded on or cast in representations which inevitably then needs making good.

I can see one feature that's a little awkward on the underside, looks like the closer setting on the loco to tender drawbar will foul the socket. Same was the case on the K1, but turning the drawbar around was possible on this model. Probably going to have to make a new drawbar for the J15 when I get one. It's going to make my ancient Stephen Poole kitbuild look more than a bit shabby. 

Well, Steve, that's what you get when you work from memory. I did say they were a minefield.... I wanted to say that 65445 was one of the batch built with vacuum brake rather than having it fitted later, but checking pictures on the net, I could only see evidence for Westinghouse fitting.

And yes, I typed Stour when I meant Colne.

Off for a lie down and a cup of tea now.

When I built my Gibson one (65388), I worked very carefully to photos and added/removed any number of details. Some years later I bought the relevant Yeadon and found several new pictures of 65388... with the opposite features to those I'd very carefully modelled. It's a lifetime study in itself, this class.

Someone elsewhere has suggested that their LNER one has gold lettering - anyone got hold of one to confirm/deny? All the pictures I've seen look correctly yellow.

• Like 2

Someone elsewhere has suggested that their LNER one has gold lettering - anyone got hold of one to confirm/deny? All the pictures I've seen look correctly yellow.

http://www.ehattons.com/69489/Hornby_R3230_Class_J15_0_6_0_7524_in_LNER_livery/StockDetail.aspx

Best I can do, seems to be the right colour to me

• Like 1

Change the number to a  steam brake only (any advice on suitable 31A numbers?), or live with a wrong number. No pipes on the buffer beam. Unfitted goods only.

Phil

The only one I can see is 65425 and that met it's maker in 10/56.

The steam brake versions did tend to go first as they were obviously less useful than the other machines.

Get a dual fitted one as well. You know you want to.

Bernard

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the advice so far.

My point about the side window cabs was that as they were also most of the class that were vacuum fitted, if there was a reason for the vacuum fitting on the side window cab variants that related to them being designed for the Colne Valley, then would  a non-window cab, vaccum fitted, version also be likely to turn up on the same branch.

And my understanding is the cab window version was designed for the Colne Valley where steam hauled passenger services tended to run the 20-odd miles Haverhill to Marks Tey rather than the Stour Valley where they ran Cambridge to Colchester where there was a turntable each end. Of course they did turn-up on the latter and other places.

Thanks for the tip about the GERS, I am a longstanding  member, thoroughly recommend it and will probably post on the site at some point if someone doesnt beat me to it, but felt posting on here will get any answers to a wider potential audience. Also I am slightly less interested in a more perfect model (which is probably beyond my capabilities) than a plausable back story that I can tell myself!

Can anyone tell me the shed code on the other 2 models (LNER and late BR) please?

The model of 65445 carries a 30A shed plate.  According to the MGNJRS publication, it arrived there from Parkeston Quay in January 1961.  A picture in Locomotives Illustrated 162 shows it at Haverhill in August 1958, when it was allocated to Colchester, and the caption states it wen from there to Parkeston in November 1959.

Seems to me a well chosen 'mix'. Appears to be right in general dimensions and appearance, has a mechanism that performs well. Enough detail to suggest the fittings are present when viewed on a running loco; scope for the modeller to add extra detail as desired, without having first to cut away any moulded on or cast in representations which inevitably then needs making good.

I can see one feature that's a little awkward on the underside, looks like the closer setting on the loco to tender drawbar will foul the socket. Same was the case on the K1, but turning the drawbar around was possible on this model. Probably going to have to make a new drawbar for the J15 when I get one. It's going to make my ancient Stephen Poole kitbuild look more than a bit shabby. 

I found it would couple on the close setting although with almost no clearance between the drawbar and the wiring emanating from the plug.  As I was afraid the motion of the drawbar might damage the insulation on the wires (or short circuit with the bare ends of the connectors in the plug), I cut off the outer 'loop' of the drawbar.  However for the engine to pass my test for close coupling on the 'short' setting (to be able to get round the a crossover formed by two Peco double slips back to back), I had to remove a very small amount of metal from the loco 'fall plate' (in fact a rearward extension of the running plate casting) so that it would clear the hand brake standard on the tender.  The amount was smaller than I could really measure, and I achieved it by gross misuse of a pair of Xuron track cutters, used as a side cutter small amounts at a time!

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone explain the assortment of pipes please?

The instruction sheet for the R3230 LNER version shows three to be fitted on the front (locomotive) buffer beam and two to be fitted on the rear (tender) buffer beam.  However, the sealed accessories pack only contains one pipe - the vacuum pipe for the rear.

Are the others (two on the front and one on the rear) all Westinghouse pipes and therefore not applicable to 7524?

Edited by teaky

These J15's look very sad and lonely on their own - they're better in the company of another  

Funnily enough, I was thinking the same of the surviving prototype last night. There's something just so uncomplaining and amiable about the design, they would surely seek each other's company.

The Nim.

Can anyone explain the assortment of pipes please?

The instruction sheet for the R3230 LNER version shows three to be fitted on the front (locomotive) buffer beam and two to be fitted on the rear (tender) buffer beam.  However, the sealed accessories pack only contains one pipe - the vacuum pipe for the rear.

Are the others (two on the front and one on the rear) all Westinghouse pipes and therefore not applicable to 7524?

7524 was steam brake only so no pipes, Westinghouse or vacuum, front or rear.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium

I love my J15, but...  The front of the chimney on my model is absolutely vertical, the rear slopes inward to the smokebox top.  It looks wrong to me.  Are all models like this (because in fact it's correct) or have I got one with a wonky chimney?

I briefly tried moving the tender closer to the loco, using the other drawbar hole, and it seemed to be too close to traverse Peco medium radius points. I don't think it fouled the connector, though the wires hd to be moved sideways.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

7524 was steam brake only so no pipes, Westinghouse or vacuum, front or rear.

Bernard

Thank you Bernard.

Strange that Hornby supply an accessories pack that neither matches their own instructions nor has the correct fittings for the model it issupplied with.  :scratchhead:

Edited by teaky

My early BR version arrived today. What a superb model must be best 00 steam locomotive of the year easy.  Well done to Hornby excellent :boast:

I may be  sticking  my  neck  out   a bit  here,  but  as  a  buyer  of UK  outline 00   products   for  some  years from  many  manufacturers such as   Hornby-Dublo,  Tri-ang,    Triang-Hornby, Wrenn, Trix, Lima****, with  apologies  to  those  I have  omitted!!

My personal  view of  the  J15  is  that  it  ranks  as  best     00 steam locomotive  ever   ( so far  but    bet  theres  more  to  come  and  not  too far  off!!)

EDIT ****  Whoops..  Sorry  Bachmann  I  omitted  you  from  the  list  but  dont  worry  too much  I have  1 of  your  locos due  for  delivery  tomorrow

Edited by Stevelewis

Arrghhh!!!! All this talk and pictures is driving me crazy :jester: the J15 looks and sounds superb, I just can't justify getting one, even applying rule #1 it seems too far fetched for my needs :(

Is there any chance one was ever seen on/near southern rails?!?!?!

Must resist...must resist...

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Arrghhh!!!! All this talk and pictures is driving me crazy :jester: the J15 looks and sounds superb, I just can't justify getting one, even applying rule #1 it seems too far fetched for my needs :(

What about those cross London freight moves?

Keith

I briefly tried moving the tender closer to the loco, using the other drawbar hole, and it seemed to be too close to traverse Peco medium radius points. I don't think it fouled the connector, though the wires hd to be moved sideways.

Stewart

Works fine close coupled on Peco large radius points

Paul

Build your self a small Eastern branch line Ian. { Mid Suffolk Light comes to mind } couple of coaches half a dozen freight wagons. Sounds good to me :yes:

Strange that Hornby supply an accessories pack that neither matches their own instructions nor has the correct fittings for the model it issupplied with.  :scratchhead:

I just find it so frustrating that Hornby have made such a giant stride to reclaim their number one spot but still mess things up with silly little errors. Most people probably don't mind but after over 30 years in a QC environment and having OCD tendencies is does wind me up a bit. Having originally consulted the acknowledged experts why the hell did they not get the final samples checked. Or asked about the choice of numbers.

Bernard