Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

A review of the all new Bachmann Class E4, in stunning LBSC Umber Livery. Designed by Robert Billinton and introduced in 1897, these small but powerful locomotives where built for local passenger, freight and branch work, with all but one surviving in to British Railways Ownership and the last being withdrawn from service in 1964. One member of the class has been preserved.
This model is one of 4 versions being produced by Bachmann, including the as preserved '473' in beautiful Southern Green and both BR Early and Late Liveries. With a very high level of detail, superb performace and one of the best livery applications I have seen on a 00 Model to date, the LBSC UmberClass E4 is a must for any Pre-Grouping, Southern Region or Preserved Era Modeller! 10/10 is just not enough! 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-WI5I1XzLs

post-20663-0-40123900-1431851341.png

• Like 2

I enjoyed reading SDJR7F's review of the LBSCR E4. My Southern version needed oiling soon after I ran it in so perhaps a light oiling will reduce the gear noise. I would like to see a video of it showing how many coaches it will pull once it is run in. My E4 can easily haul 8 Hornby Maunsell coaches.

I am tempted to buy a video camera that can be uploaded to my laptop.

I am modelling the Swanage Railway on the LSWR where you would not see an E4 but I have ordered on because I like it. The video shows I have made the right decision.

• Like 1

I enjoyed reading SDJR7F's review of the LBSCR E4. My Southern version needed oiling soon after I ran it in so perhaps a light oiling will reduce the gear noise. I would like to see a video of it showing how many coaches it will pull once it is run in. My E4 can easily haul 8 Hornby Maunsell coaches.

I am tempted to buy a video camera that can be uploaded to my laptop.

I am modelling the Swanage Railway on the LSWR where you would not see an E4 but I have ordered on because I like it. The video shows I have made the right decision.

Thanks ever so much Robin and glad the review was of help  ;) . I have got a running video to follow up in the near future, possibly a week or two. Though it will only be hauling a short rake of 2 Teaks and a LNER CCT (I chose this combo, purely because I though the Teak fine looked nice with Umber and the matching White Roofs :jester: ). Bet it looks really smart on Swanage. :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just as an aside, I wonder what prompted the choice of 579 for the LBSC-livery loco? After all, there were 75 of them and many had carried the names of lovely Sussex villages. Not so 579 - which had formerly been named Roehampton, now just a London suburb. Poor show!

Just as an aside, I wonder what prompted the choice of 579 for the LBSC-livery loco? After all, there were 75 of them and many had carried the names of lovely Sussex villages. Not so 579 - which had formerly been named Roehampton, now just a London suburb. Poor show!

Oy! I worked in Roehampton. Fair comment, though.

I wonder if Bachmann will ever do a named version? It has to be strong possibility, the development and production costs of that model must have been huge.

Guest spet0114

Probably something horribly mundane such as the availability of good quality prototype photos.

• RMweb Premium

The original boilers had a wasted smokebox. Names disappeared later and most E4s had the new style boiler by the time the livery changed to Umber. You can see the earlier type in the attached photo of Fletching which is painted in Stroudley Goods Green livery with black lining. Different chimney, safety valves, dome and site for whistle; but a potential conversion? The new style boiler was fitted to 579 in August 1912.

When mine arrives I will see how the boiler is made and whether it is a feasible, easy, conversion or if it would be easy for Bachmann to just change a few parts?

Anyone with a photo of the non-pump side? Even the video only showed one side, but thanks for the details from that as it is the first time I have seen the loco other than from the retailers.

Cheers

Ian, member of the Brighton Circle.

post-2173-0-67060600-1431894844_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 4

The original boilers had a wasted smokebox. Names disappeared later and most E4s had the new style boiler by the time the livery changed to Umber. You can see the earlier type in the attached photo of Fletching which is painted in Stroudley Goods Green livery with black lining. Different chimney, safety valves, dome and site for whistle; but a potential conversion? The new style boiler was fitted to 579 in August 1912.

When mine arrives I will see how the boiler is made and whether it is a feasible, easy, conversion or if it would be easy for Bachmann to just change a few parts?

Anyone with a photo of the non-pump side? Even the video only showed one side, but thanks for the details from that as it is the first time I have seen the loco other than from the retailers.

Cheers

Ian, member of the Brighton Circle.

Thanks for the photo. discs and lamps (albeit turned backurds!) on the same loco. I wonder how long that practice last. I,d love to find a BR era pick showing this combination.( unlikely though)

Mine came from Rails yesterday, beautifully packed. It is such a wonderful model even if it doesn't have separate handrails on each side of the cab door. I suspect we'll see a named version in the earlier livery at some point.

Named version, possibly in the 'Improved engine green' for the next Collectors Club model anyone ? Maybe the 'feature not seen on a club model' will be blank tank sides and a decal sheet with multiple name  / number choices for us to apply. Well I can dream can't I ? :sungum:

GNR Dave - I suspect that the tooling used for the E4 would not suit its original configuration and it may not be possible to back-date the model to this livery.  I believe Marsh chimneys were added - I guess that's what she's got - and maybe new boilers etc that altered the appearance?  Someone with more knowledge of the subject than I (almost anyone), will doubtless correct these assertions if necessary.

I have to agree that these E4's look good. But I have found them temperamental to run. I bought 2 to replace Hornby 08 shunters. Well one E4 had to be taken back it was so bad. The other is 'tolerable'. And the shunters have come back into service ferrying rolling stock round the layout.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have taken the body off and looked carefully at it all. Bachmann have left it so that with a small bit of extra tooling they would be able to produce the original version.

The front of the boiler moulding, from the side tanks forward, is separate and the split is at footplate level. Cab handrails are separate as well.

All that would be needed would be another front part to the existing boiler and tanks bodyshell and a new chimney, dome etc. Not a whole new loco, probably just a couple of small injection mould tools or maybe one larger one.

As someone said, that would be awesome! Stroudley Improved Engine Green or Goods livery, with names or as someone suggests, blank tanksides with decal sheets and numberplates.

These seem to be selling well, as they should! Hopefully this will spur Bachmann on for more pre-grouping stock. Gladstone?

Cheers

Ian

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Like 2