Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Premium

Personally I don't think the pick-ups on the E4 are any worse than other Bachmann locos.

I have had to tweak several of mine to ensure the contact is not lost as the wheels move from side to side.

(They seem to build in more sideplay than Hornby.)

Once that's done there are no problems with my E4 which runs fine forward or backwards through Peco code 75 pointwork.

If I couldn't make mine run without drastic mods such as Chris G it would have gone back!

Keith

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just learned about this BCC Limited Edition and rather miffed! Had I been given the choice in the original release I might have gone for 'Birch Grove' in Umber, rather than 473 in Southern (especially given the preservation discrepancies of the latter, namely lack of cab front lining and oil pots). OK Bachmann wants to sell models, but there can't be too many who will buy multiples of the same loco. This is not the first time Bachmann have pushed a 'preservation' subject into the BCC rather than the main range (Red Ivatt, LMS Kolhapur to name but two)

I can't easily return my original B473 purchase so many months later, just because something more suitable has come along. OK, they could have released the model in the main range next year, but the fact that this model was clearly planned and manufactured at the same time as the main release leave a slightly sour taste.

Sure I can live with and enjoy my Olive Green loco, coupled to a rake of Maunsell lined coaches, including the forthcoming Birdcage, but to not have had full info at the time of purchase....

What do others think?

Still, I can say it looks a very fine model, correctly reprasenting the loco as preserved (oil pots and all) just a pity about the incorrect black wheels - easy to correct however!

Guest spet0114

Bearing in mind all the grief that manufacturers get for the long lead times betweeen product announcement and product delivery, I find the Collectors Club, which generally has its models available within a week or two of their announcement, to be a refreshing change. If this means that some products are kept up the manufacturer's sleeve for a while, then that doesn't bother me.

As to 'pushing' the preserved versions in the BCC, then I think the E4, Ivatt etc are the exception rather than the rule. Lots of other releases have had the 'as preserved' model in the main range - think Half Cab, O4, G2a, A1, A4, V2, 9F, Hughes-Fowler Mogul, Dukedog, SECR C, etc.

There is also the possibility that you're wrong to assume that the BCC version was planned at the same time as the main range.  Is it not conceivable that Bachmann waited to see how the E4 would sell before planning a BCC release? Yes, they'd have had to reserve a production slot in advance for a BCC model, but I'd imagine that the choice of precisely which model to produce could be left to a somewhat later date and could be based on sales.

Sure I can live with and enjoy my Olive Green loco, coupled to a rake of Maunsell lined coaches, including the forthcoming Birdcage, but to not have had full info at the time of purchase....

What do others think?

I would have thought you purchased the olive green version to haul SR coaches similarly liveried in olive. (That is what I did.)

Presumably either that or you had a plan to repaint it into some other livery.

That Bachmann launched 'Birch Grove' as a Collectors' Club item after four other choices were in production is no different to them announcing new liveries for the 2016/17 range.

Let's say I wanted one in SR black with Sunshine lettering* but decided to buy an unlined BR one and add transfers. I might be miffed but really shouldn't be upset if Bachmann announced one in 2016. The Collectors' Club announcements are no different.

* Hypothetically assuming that livery is relevant to the E4.

That they want to make their members' day more special by announcing (and having available for sale) a new limited edition model is part of making the 'club' more relevant.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Just learned about this BCC Limited Edition and rather miffed! Had I been given the choice in the original release I might have gone for 'Birch Grove' in Umber, rather than 473 in Southern (especially given the preservation discrepancies of the latter, namely lack of cab front lining and oil pots). OK Bachmann wants to sell models, but there can't be too many who will buy multiples of the same loco. This is not the first time Bachmann have pushed a 'preservation' subject into the BCC rather than the main range (Red Ivatt, LMS Kolhapur to name but two)

I can't easily return my original B473 purchase so many months later, just because something more suitable has come along. OK, they could have released the model in the main range next year, but the fact that this model was clearly planned and manufactured at the same time as the main release leave a slightly sour taste.

What do others think?

Still, I can say it looks a very fine model, correctly reprasenting the loco as preserved (oil pots and all) just a pity about the incorrect black wheels - easy to correct however!

I made a similar point on the BCC models thread. If I could only have one, I would have the latest version. I assumed that the LBSC umber main range edition would be instead of seeing Birch Grove in umber any time soon. I had just received my first real adult pay cheque when the new version came out so luckily I could afford to treat myself, but I would have been pretty put out had this not been the case. It was my plan to purchase the main range umber loco as a treat, but the announcement came just in time to prevent this frustration.

I have very fond memories of Birch Grove in this livery, in particular, watching it shunting at Giants of Steam in 2003. 

• Like 1

Personally I am not that put off by it as I clearly brought both for no other reason than being a Bluebell fan.

My nostalgic period for the bluebell is the late 80s and early 90s when this loco was no where to be seen as she was waiting work to be done.

The SR version of the loco is not far out from being as preserved, just missing a bit of lining and the oil pots by the Saddle. The LBSCR umber livery is not correct for LBSCR days for a host of reasons and represents a brief period of this loco in recent times. It is not correct for he loco as she was in the 1960s.

If a Bachmann do her in late BR livery, that would capture her in BR days and the first days of preservation, but they would need to include oil pots for more recent years.

Bachmann have done Bluebells 9F for model zone, albeit in BR days and not as preserved. The Duke Dog 9017 is correct for BR days, but never ran exactly as per the model in preservation (at least on the Bluebell).

Finally if you are after a true LBSCR loco as per period then the general release is correct. Birch Grove really represents a small period in preservation and her colours whilst influenced by two distinct periods of the LBSCR, is not correct for either. The SR green one represents SR days correctly and is not far off for those in her preservation years. Bluebell preservation presents an additional problem in that only a small amount of the fleet is actually in working order at any time. I - for one -will eventually ran an Atlantic next to a Q1, but the Q1 left years ago and the Atlantic has yet to be run.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some of the big box shifters have slashed the prices on the standard release E4's to eighty notes.  Maybe these have not been as big a seller as originally thought?

Some of the big box shifters have slashed the prices on the standard release E4's to eighty notes.  Maybe these have not been as big a seller as originally thought?

I think quite a few people were annoyed at the large price increase from the price quoted originally & simply refused to buy or cancelled pre orders.

I'm sure there is a limit to what people will pay no matter how desirable a model may be & Bachmann may have just found that out.

• RMweb Premium

Or maybe the embargo period that stops retailers reducing by more than 15% off the rrp has expired.

True, but why would retailers reduce the price if they were still selling at the higher one? 

I think quite a few people were annoyed at the large price increase from the price quoted originally & simply refused to buy or cancelled pre orders.

I'm sure there is a limit to what people will pay no matter how desirable a model may be & Bachmann may have just found that out.

I agree. I suspect there may also be an element in that, related to what you are getting for your money. Whilst people may be ready to accept paying well over £100 for a tender loco, the threshold for a small tank engine may well be lower. That being said, I don't see why the diesels are so expensive compared to steam locos; surely there are fewer separate pieces to attach (a diesel body should be pretty much a single moulding unlike steam) so the labour cost should be lower.

Recently Bachmann showed us how many pieces there were in one of its LNER Pacifics. I would be interested to see how that compares with the new Class 43 Warship.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Gold

Agree - I've been waiting for the LMS Compounds to drop below £100 - its been a long wait but now widely available for around £90.

True, but why would retailers reduce the price if they were still selling at the higher one? 

I agree. I suspect there may also be an element in that, related to what you are getting for your money. Whilst people may be ready to accept paying well over £100 for a tender loco, the threshold for a small tank engine may well be lower. That being said, I don't see why the diesels are so expensive compared to steam locos; surely there are fewer separate pieces to attach (a diesel body should be pretty much a single moulding unlike steam) so the labour cost should be lower.

Recently Bachmann showed us how many pieces there were in one of its LNER Pacifics. I would be interested to see how that compares with the new Class 43 Warship.

Some shops get round Bachmann,s rules by having a loyalty card. "The price is £95, but if you a loyalty card, we will give 10% off".

More fool anyone who refused to buy a RTR loco in a fit of pique because they were annoyed by a price rise, because they sure as heck aren't going to get one any cheaper from another manufacturer!

Could also be that, in the case of the E4, there aren't many suitable coaches for it to pull, yet? Hopefully within a year there will be the Birdcage stock from Bachmann, which I believe the E4s hauled in SR & BR days, at least. Also, Bachmann did their usual trick of releasing a less than popular version with the unlined early BR crest version.

I'm sure that Bachmann factored the suppressed demand due to higher prices into their the batch sizes. All four versions are showing as sold out on the Bachmann website, so they've made their money, which I'm glad about as, otherwise, work on forthcoming models would have been put in jeopardy.

• RMweb Premium

Posted Today, 09:41

Brushman wrote:

Andy Hayter, on 12 Oct 2015 - 23:22, said:snapback.png

Or maybe the embargo period that stops retailers reducing by more than 15% off the rrp has expired.

​Unquote

Simple answer is cash flow.  If you make for example £20 profit on a model today, is that better than making £30 at some uncertain point in the future?  Only the shop )or their accountant) can tell you, but generally cash in the bank will win. 

• RMweb Gold

locoholic, on 13 Oct 2015 - 18:56, said:locoholic, on 13 Oct 2015 - 18:56, said:

Could also be that, in the case of the E4, there aren't many suitable coaches for it to pull, yet? Hopefully within a year there will be the Birdcage stock from Bachmann, which I believe the E4s hauled in SR & BR days, at least.

I don't have a problem with my E4 hauling Hornby Maunsells. Available in all liveries post 1926.

Edited by Oldddudders