Bachmann E4

Graham_Muz

32477 is actually an E4X class locomotive - an E4 rebuilt with a larger boiler.  However there's a picture of 32517 on this page in plain black with early crest.

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e4class_01.html

The link to zenfolio requires a username and password.

Sorry, I did it in a hurry -serves me right!

I have now found quite a few more pics of E4's which another 20 are now on the 'added this month' page of the website including the one Bachmann have based the unlined version on, http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/h425c0101#h425c0101These are in addition to the 15 odd in the LBSC E4 folder  hope the link works this time!

Cheers Tony

• Like 1

Put Kadees in, and tried mine with a couple of trains.  As RFS suggested in post 273, I used number 17s, which looked right to me and seemed to run okay.  (The layout has a curve of 30" radius at the tightest point, which is where I look for derailments whenever I put Kadees on stock.) 

One thing I did notice when I gave the wheels a very quick clean is that  I am fairly sure that only the driving wheels have pick-ups.  Not a problem for me; my layout has to be Terrier-proof.

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

My E4 consistently derailed going forwards on PECO single slip and 3 way point.

I looked to me as though the wheel I the plastic radial truck arrangement was too loose, letting it "crab" sideways and catch on crossings.

I decided to restrict the movement. Firstly remove the body ,  3 screws as in the instructions.

Next I loosened the keeper plate , the 2 rear screws.

Next turn the chassis over and remove the shouldered screw which holds the plastic truck in place

Remove the plastic truck and slice a sliver off the top of the boss the screw goes in.

Reassemble the truck, tightening the shouldered screw so that the truck does not turn.

Reassemble the loco and I've had no problems since, it seems to still go round a 2nd radius curve and PECO small points so I'm happy

sorry I can't seem to put the photos in line with the text......

Hope this helps

Roger

post-1130-0-08408600-1429437159_thumb.jpg

post-1130-0-74629200-1429437482_thumb.jpg

post-1130-0-92235400-1429437497_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly remove the body ,  3 screws as in the instructions.

Roger

I did wonder if the instructions were wrong as mine only had the two outer screws holding the body on the Middle screw is missing, I might now see if I can I find a spare to put in its place...

At the price we are being asked to pay for this model, is it not reasonable to expect it to be a perfect runner straight from the box ????

And a full quota of screws.......

On a serious note. If there's some easily fixed shortcomings, I'm ok.

Just so pleased to have an E4

Edited by The Bigbee Line

A couple of pictures of my E4 on the Hornby Railway Collector's Association's layout at Broadstone. It ran well with four Hornby Maunsell coaches on an oval with second radius curves with no baseboard joints and no points. Not much of a challenge.  The E4s are selling well in the south but there are still plenty of Southern ones available at Hattons and Rails. More people seem to be buying them from their local model shops.

post-17621-0-40785900-1429652159_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-95176400-1429652192_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Recieved my E4 in Southern green here in NZ last week from Model Railways Direct.   Very pleased lovely little model , the finish and detail nice and appears to run very nicely from the box.

However can anyone tell me PLEASE HOW TO REMOVE THE CAB.  The front of the cab releases ok with a little work but I cannot for the life of me get the the rear tabs to release from the chassis and very annoyingly managed to scratch the paintwork on the bunker with the screwdriver I was using.  It just wont seem to release easily.  There is no help for this with the bachman paperwork.  Any suggestions please.

Recieved my E4 in Southern green here in NZ last week from Model Railways Direct.   Very pleased lovely little model , the finish and detail nice and appears to run very nicely from the box.

However can anyone tell me PLEASE HOW TO REMOVE THE CAB.  The front of the cab releases ok with a little work but I cannot for the life of me get the the rear tabs to release from the chassis and very annoyingly managed to scratch the paintwork on the bunker with the screwdriver I was using.  It just wont seem to release easily.  There is no help for this with the bachman paperwork.  Any suggestions please.

2 screws at the rear under the running plate hold the cab on, then the cab is clipped in to the running plate... which is quite easy to remove.

• RMweb Gold

With its Thomas The Tank Engine "face" what a little marvel this one is indeed.Solid and well finished,its haulage capacity is truly phenomenal.IMHO,Bachmann have a winner all the way  with this model.Yes,it is expensive but it is a quality product.

With its Thomas The Tank Engine "face" what a little marvel this one is indeed.Solid and well finished,its haulage capacity is truly phenomenal.IMHO,Bachmann have a winner all the way  with this model.Yes,it is expensive but it is a quality product.

Good to hear from a happy camper! I'm enjoying mine too. Excellent model.

A couple of pics of my BR late crest example, 32500.

I found that I had to tweak the wheel-back pickups slightly as a few of them weren't quite stretching the whole distance when the axles were pushed to their sideways extremes. Otherwise, my late crest black one is a superb runner.

I fitted a CT Elektronik DCX75 6-pin decoder to mine. Initially it was a bit slow and pulled weakly on DCC (but was fine on DC, before fitting the chip). I have had no previous experience with CT Elektronik, so had to do a bit of digging on the Internet to see what needed to change. Anyway, after playing with a few of the BEMF and PWM settings using JMRI Decoder Pro, I now have a powerful little locomotive with a reasonable top speed that will move fractions of a millimetre in one second on speed step 1, albeit a little "chattery" when doing this ... a few more refinements to the tweaking should fix that. 

Once I have some 'definitive' settings that I am happy with, I'll post the settings here, if anyone else is interested. I need to keep track of them for myself as I have the LBSC version of the E4 still to come, and another CT Elektronik decoder awaiting the E4's arrival.

Bachmann%20E4%200-6-2T%20-%201_zpsha9850

Bachmann%20E4%200-6-2T%20-%203_zpsqmvce0

Edited by SRman
  • Like 5

A couple of pics of my BR late crest example, 32500. I found that I had to tweak the wheel-back pickups slightly as a few of them weren't quite stretching the whole distance when the axles were pushed to their sideways extremes. Otherwise, my late crest black one is a superb runner. I fitted a CT Elektronik DCX75 6-pin decoder to mine. Initially it was a bit slow and pulled weakly on DCC (but was fine on DC, before fitting the chip). I have had no previous experience with CT Elektronik, so had to do a bit of digging on the Internet to see what needed to change. Anyway, after playing with a few of the BEMF and PWM settings using JMRI Decoder Pro, I now have a powerful little locomotive with a reasonable top speed that will move fractions of a millimetre in one second on speed step 1, albeit a little "chattery" when doing this ... a few more refinements to the tweaking should fix that. Once I have some 'definitive' settings that I am happy with, I'll post the settings here, if anyone else is interested. I need to keep track of them for myself as I have the LBSC version of the E4 still to come, and another CT Elektronik decoder awaiting the E4's arrival. Bachmann%20E4%200-6-2T%20-%201_zpsha9850 Bachmann%20E4%200-6-2T%20-%203_zpsqmvce0

Interesting looking brake van next to the loco (presume it's Southern from the roof profile) - what is it?

Just been told today at Arcadia that the LBSC version should be arriving in the next week to two weeks - probably hitting the shops at the same time as the Dapol O gauge Terrier. It's going to be expensive as I have one E4 plus one Terrier in Southern green on order

• Like 3

I renumbered and changed the BR emblem on this Bachmann E4 for a customer recently.

BR crest and numerals are Fox transfers, as is the shedcode. The smokebox number is a Modelmaster transfer.

The whistle is now brass and it's going to be weathered later.

Glenn

Bachmann E4 0-6-2T renumbered as No.32565

Bachmann E4 0-6-2T No.32565

• Like 8

Hi all

My E4 consistently derailed going forwards on PECO single slip and 3 way point.

I looked to me as though the wheel I the plastic radial truck arrangement was too loose, letting it "crab" sideways and catch on crossings.

I decided to restrict the movement............... 

Hope this helps

Roger

Great fix Roger - thank you.

Tony

Edited by Prometheus