Mallard Partwork

I opened my latest issues yesterday, and I seem to be missing some parts. Did anyone else not receive the pony truck fixers (P/N108871 x4) with issue 48? My copy of this issue was missing these.

Covered earlier I think,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81382-mallard-partwork/page-22&do=findComment&comment=1947085

Peter

It's just occurred to me that I am up to issues 36 or so, and have neither opened, nor checked the contents of any, yet, apart from those with the body/cab in.

That's a job for today then.

BUT: What have folk who are holding off on the build done with all the parts to keep them in some sort of findable order?

Or is it just me?

It's just occurred to me that I am up to issues 36 or so, and have neither opened, nor checked the contents of any, yet, apart from those with the body/cab in.

That's a job for today then.

BUT: What have folk who are holding off on the build done with all the parts to keep them in some sort of findable order?

Or is it just me?

As with Scotsman I marker pen the bags of bits with an indellible pen and put them in a box until all the lit is received, that way others find the problems and I have less re-working to do.

Having said that Scotsman is only about 3/4 finished.  In the case of the A4 I bought about four sets of 1-9 to give the main parts for a couple of extra ones and will get one full kit of parts and either scratchbuild or get commercial parts for the other ones, having a full set of instructions and a set of patterns to guide me. The advantage of leaving it for a while also means I can gather bits for the others to suit as they become available, I picked up 3  A4 chimneys from DJH at Telford for £1 a piece, and I have also picked up a tender kit on Ebay.

Given that there are also a couple more Scotsmen kits in the roof there may also be a cobbled together early P2 with a mix of both.

The other advantage of delay is that any manufacturers cock-up's such as the wheels, or the pony truck splashers to the Scotsman, can be corrected, and replacement parts are manufactured before I get to build it, again saving unneccesary work.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to say that my replacement wheels arrived this morning with new axles.  They are all concentric this time and `quarter` nicely.  There is a little movement on the squared axle but nothing that will cause trouble. I shall probably permanently glue one wheel in place on each axle using Loctite when I get to that stage.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just a heads up...others may have already discovered this but for those who haven't yet...I took a punt and ordered issue 52 direct online as an extra to see if it would come with the wheels, I was thinking that perhaps they wouldn't due to the cost involved but thought it worth a go. I'm happy to report that the mag arrived this morning with the wheels included....not bad for the £8 something including P&P...

Pete

I'm already a subscriber though?

so am I...that just makes life easier...all you need to do is order what you want through the shop online..I did wait until I had my subscribed issues before ordering though to avoid any confusion which shouldn't happen but you never know....

hi guys i'm new to the forum but have been following this topic for some time. i originally was going to buy the partwork but house move & job change got in the way and  i forgot all about it. after seeing the mags on ebay i did some research and found this thread.

i've now managed to collect the first 20 parts through back order. i intend to build the loco part but scratchbuild the backhead and use precision valve gear so i'm avoiding issues that arent relevent to my project. i'll prob just buy a tender kit complete which works out a bit cheaper.

i was wondering though if anyone could list the  part lists for issue 40 - present ?

also can anyone advise where i can get a single chimney from. i've scoured the web but not had much joy.

currently i've a complete body and 80% chassis but decided to cut the valances (@ 11pm after a few beers) so it'll be some time before i get to finish that :(

keep up the good work, i'd like to see some more pics of others progress

cheers

I have one, but it's in the UK, and I'm in France until 1st Nov.

If you still want it by then, PM me.

Meanwhile, DJH sometimes do bits like that, JPL and Laurie Griffin are worth trying.

Hi guys

Just a heads up...others may have already discovered this but for those who haven't yet...I took a punt and ordered issue 52 direct online as an extra to see if it would come with the wheels, I was thinking that perhaps they wouldn't due to the cost involved but thought it worth a go. I'm happy to report that the mag arrived this morning with the wheels included....not bad for the £8 something including P&P...

Pete

Thanks for that info Pete, I hadn't even got to receiving issue 52 yet but thought I would chance my arm.

I am getting the partwork but also have 3 sets of issues 1 to 9 which give the bulk of body and chassis parts, and was going to externally source or scratchbuild the remaining bits using the originals as patterns. I had already picked up a set of tender etches for one from E-bay, and could probably buy the other tender bodies if they are like Scotsman, one piece on plastic.

When the option of 'number of copies required' for the wheels came up I thought I was on to a winner, but the software kicks in and prevents ordering more than one set...........................................unless you go back in and order again, which it will let you do, so today two sets arrived, admittedly you have to pay postage twice, but it's still a small price to pay for what you get.

post-18627-0-47563800-1446034484_thumb.jpg

Once again thanks a million! Now I just have to decide if I will go for a third extra set or use the body to mate with a Scotsman for an original P2.

Peter

• Like 1