Mallard Partwork

The best I could get was two axles more or less matching, but on the third axle the quartering is definitely out. Surely Hachette will have to come up with a fix (replacement wheels?) at some stage as even novice builders will notice that two sets of rods won't fit! In order to clarify matters for members who may be further behind in the build I'm attaching two photos, one with the rod attached to one side of the chassis and the second showing the mismatched quartering on the other side. 

post-13712-0-84878100-1436298546_thumb.jpg

post-13712-0-18913700-1436298578_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I've been collecting the parts but not built much of it so far.

I do read the thread though and follow with interest and after this thought I'd open all my issues and check to see if the parts are there, if so are they in decent condition.

I have just opened the wheels and kept each set in the correct sequence so the first wheel came in issue 33 and it's matching one according to the instructions was in issue 35

This pair were for the leading wheel.

The next pair were in issues 37&39 which were the trailing set.

Finally the last pair came in issues 41&43 which are the middle set.

As above it looks like I can get the leading wheels and middle wheels to all line up correctly, not as the instructions say, with one side the crank facing forwards and the other facing upwards though.

I have one side facing forwards the other side is just slightly before upwards.

Unfortunately the trailing wheels are a different story, I can get one wheel so the crank faces forwards along with the others, but the wheel on the other side, the crank is almost in the same position!
So it's either a new wheel, axle or both.

Email has been sent asking when will we be getting the replacement parts.

Although I could just say that the wheel spokes were broken in issues 33&35 and get those two issues sent again and use the wheels from them.....would this work OK as I have no idea about this quartering?

Will reply with the outcome.

Cheers

Ian

Edited by traction

• RMweb Gold

UPDATE:

Received a reply from Hachette this morning.

They are aware of the wheel issue and working on a solution and when the new parts are available they will send them out to us.

Cheers

Ian

hi guys just to update you all on Hatchette's response to the wheel quartering issue..

quote: 

It’s been brought to our attention that a small production batch of the wheels had quartering issues so, to guarantee every reader a perfect build, we’ve decided to replace all 6 wheels and axles.

The new wheels and axles will come at issue 52 with instructions on how the replace them.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance. 

Yours sincerely, 

Dudu Dube 

Customer Care 

Now watch as there is a huge demand for issue 52 from far and wide, you can put me down for about 3 of them, all six wheels and axles, NICE! :no:

The question is of course, how is this going to affect the build sequence?

Can we build around it, or should we wait until we have the replacement wheel sets?

The old wheels might make nifty key rings ...........

Bushrat

Edited by bushrat

• 4 weeks later...

Just about to start putting on the chassis spring castings, and I notice that the second set I got has two rear springs and no centre wheel spring, which has a concave top.

Anyone else got this problem?

Can anyone tell me the reason for the concave top on the centre spring, and would it be ok to use this as is or would I need to shape it with a file?

Info would be appreciated....

Bushrat

I'm guessing that it has to do with clearing the gearbox frame. The hornblocks on the centre axle are thinner as well so they are allowing for a wide gearbox.

So probably depends on which motor and gearbox you are going to use.

Hi Mike,

I sort of wondered about that, and you are probably right. In any case it wasn't a big problem, just got the trusty Dremel out and shaped it to match. I am thinking of drilling a 1mm hole in these through the chassis and putting in either a brass pin or small brass machine screw just for a bit more peace of mind in case I ever get to run it - would hate one of those chunky springs to have the super-duper-glue let go and go through the spokes of a driving wheel..... :beee:

We are only up to issue 20 here in Australia, and so far no unsolvable problems, but this thread has gone a bit quiet in recent weeks, hasn't it? Maybe everyone is taking a break or something.............

Cheers,

Bushrat

• 2 weeks later...

As I sit here, happily assembling cab doors, a thought occurs, two thoughts actually.....

1: Why do we have horn blocks supplied, which seem to be non-functional, and are in a place where the only time they will be seen is if the loco is upside down?

2: The cab roof is to be super glued on, but there is not much there for it to grab onto, at least Scotsman had a rollover along the sides of the cab to mount the roof. I am thinking what I can do to attach this in a better and perhaps removable way, as I can see somebody picking up Mallard by the roof and it coming apart and ending up on the floor, anyone have any thoughts on a way of doing this? :scratchhead:

Bushrat

• 4 weeks later...

I'm only on issue 6. With very little done, (surprise) and a full bathroom refit on the go.

Hi Jeff

Somewhere between UK and Saudi I have misplaced the boiler handrails. I know they are in an issue up to 6 but cannot remember which one. Could you advise please so that I can re-order?

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I opened my latest issues yesterday, and I seem to be missing some parts. Did anyone else not receive the pony truck fixers (P/N108871 x4) with issue 48? My copy of this issue was missing these.

Don't know offhand if I have #48 yet but I have had missing parts before and an email to the address listed on Hachette's website has resulted in the missing bits dropping through my letter box in a couple of weeks.