SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

Had a pleasant couple of hours in Mr Duck's company, deep in LSWR territory.

post-16151-0-95238800-1452261663_thumb.jpg

We came up with a gentle reverse curve alignment like so, pretty much as per the real location. This involved hutching things up a bit towards the camera but I reckon there is plenty of room at this end to accommodate that and exit the scene gracefully at this end. This means we fit in the full length of the platform loops within the scenic area.

post-16151-0-85568200-1452261832_thumb.jpg

We came up with this arrangement at the far end which I think works really well. There is a very handy road overbridge here which is far too good not to use as a scenic break. With this end of the reverse curve aligned as so, the railway exits the scene at an advantageous orientation to take into account the sharper curve round to the left it needs to do once off scene.

Next stage is to knock the alignment pins in and adjust to sharpen up the alignment to be nice flowing curves.

Talking of which, where was JA? (I was most disappointed!)

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Oh yes, sorry that JA was absent. I'd forgotten to book her and only remembered booking the 'Yellow Peril' thingy at 36E!

What an excellent workshop watching a trackmaster at work; truly remarkable how a fresh eye can introduce interest. A most enjoyable session and also a chance to thank Mr Grantham and also others who are helping or have offered to help get this project underway. Even some friends in Norway are inspiring me with their lovely scenic ideas.

Thank you for posting these G; looks pretty good except I forgot to pose Stubb's hut.....sorry. 

Now, I know that despite thinking I had all the points I require, I am going to have to check yet again.......pah! However, it was very reassuring to discover that I don't have to have points adapted ready for the next session later in the year when the first bit of main line will be plotted. From that length of track  the rest of the Station area can be sorted.

Excellent stuff.

Meanwhile I am going to play with the Incline area and really sort out where the refuge will go, the scenic breaks will be and how the Signal Box area will be arranged.

happy days.

Ducky. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thanks CK. Graham and myself hope to lay the Station up main during his next visit a little later in the year and that will act as the benchmarker for the other three main tracks through the Station area. Then the Yards and Branch will be added but I'll be doing all that.

I might well sort the Incline section over the next few weeks and then there is the chance to 'fit in' the ends as the position of the main scenic section(s) going off scene really dictate those end return loops. That in turn influences the layout of 'fiddle sidings', but that complete area is open to modification.

Once the Incline main, X over and refuge are laid and the Hungry Caterpillar positioned, then I can get on with doing some scenic work there.

Fun isn't it!

Ducky.

• Like 5

This is all coming together nicely Phil! Really looking forward to seeing trains entering and exiting the hungry caterpillar in time. Although we might have to 'borrow' your screenshots, as they are nice referances for lineside detail.

Stuart

Edited by Norwenglish

• RMweb Gold

Great to see it coming together, and with the guiding hand of "Robert" you won't go far wrong.

It's really great to see how your enthusiasm has gone from strength to strength.

Nice on mate,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

All good stuff, Phil, and those curves look great.

I've heard that there may be a second-hand trouser shop opening up in Haverfordwest soon.

Indeed. Amongst other things it will specialize in gentlemans winter under garments and will trade as ' Have a cord vest '

They do mail order.

Rob

Thank you. I hadn't actually noticed. I suspect half of those are daft or pics of JA and various other characters.

I shall enjoy doing that weedy siding or I might ask a friend to do it as he loves doing scenics.

Phil

I find weedy sidings, real or modelled  interesting for some reason.  Especially those that seem to disappear for miles in undergrowth.  Easy with long gone Buckfastleigh in OO, a bit hard with tinplate although I have had a go on a disused line that soon disappears into the backscene; works with a bit of imagination!

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Graham's positioning of the sweeping curves, you appear to have enough room for the station building and a piece of forecourt, plus most if not all of the dairy complex.

My only concern would be the lack of vision of the trains from the operating position.  From the end views, as shown, there is a great view along the tracks, but we've not seen many side on shots.  Even a simple cut out of the rough building shapes placed in position would give you a feel for the views you'll get. 

Stu

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a pleasant couple of hours in Mr Duck's company, deep in LSWR territory.

attachicon.gifIMG_5851.JPG

We came up with a gentle reverse curve alignment like so, pretty much as per the real location. This involved hutching things up a bit towards the camera but I reckon there is plenty of room at this end to accommodate that and exit the scene gracefully at this end. This means we fit in the full length of the platform loops within the scenic area.

attachicon.gifIMG_5852.JPG

We came up with this arrangement at the far end which I think works really well. There is a very handy road overbridge here which is far too good not to use as a scenic break. With this end of the reverse curve aligned as so, the railway exits the scene at an advantageous orientation to take into account the sharper curve round to the left it needs to do once off scene.

Next stage is to knock the alignment pins in and adjust to sharpen up the alignment to be nice flowing curves.

Talking of which, where was JA? (I was most disappointed!)

Excellent stuff Graham. You'd better get those pins in before the Duck moves all the track again.

• Like 3

'Morning  Phil

Nice to see some real progress not he virtual railway!

I don't know if your structural engineer thought about this, but I've recently designed a  roof with loads of Velux widows in it, which require holes to be cut into the rafter structure, which is then reinforced as per this pic...http://fixmyroof.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Roof-window-2-rafters-purlin-double-height-21.jpg 

IT struck me  that if you could get some calcs done on this approach you could maybe fit some 'windows' into the carpentry holding up your roof allowing you some uninterrupted side-on views.

Just a thought 

Peter

• RMweb Premium

'Morning  Phil

Nice to see some real progress not he virtual railway!

I don't know if your structural engineer thought about this, but I've recently designed a  roof with loads of Velux widows in it, which require holes to be cut into the rafter structure, which is then reinforced as per this pic...http://fixmyroof.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Roof-window-2-rafters-purlin-double-height-21.jpg 

IT struck me  that if you could get some calcs done on this approach you could maybe fit some 'windows' into the carpentry holding up your roof allowing you some uninterrupted side-on views.

Just a thought 

Peter

Ohhh. That's clever. If I was still working I would consider that in about four places. However I have investigated roof lights in the past and been told I need planning permission and that could be a faff. I think I'd need to talk to Council Building Control about just doing this modification to the inner rafters, but it could be worth a shot for the area at the Station. Worth an investigation as I have found a roofer recently who knows his business. Smiffy, do you think it could be wider and less deep?

Thanks for all the comments. I must emphasise that it was Graham that did everything yesterday. My job is to sort things before his next visit and that includes marking some 'positions' of lines, fitting a six coach + loco train in the Station Up Platform and make adjustments to the baseboards at the west end of the yards; (last is my decision after some middle of the night thinking). I shall be spending a lot of time tidying up stuff as well and sorting the track as I've been using any old bits so far for the planning. 

I also need to reconsider one end's point and x over arrangements as I might not have thought it through correctly. 

Ducky.

• Like 3

the key Phil is all around loads and structures - in theory you could make it wider and shallower, but really you need a structural engineer to do some proper calculations. You'll have to produce these for building control anyway, so worth asking your roofer friend if he has a tame SE who could do the calc for you.

Whatever you do, don;t let the roofer do anything without proper calcs in advance.

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Well, the rain finally got to me today in Plymouth. After a morning 'at the shops', including CTMK doing some clothes shopping, we decided to have lunch at Ed's Diner in Drake Circus, something I've wanted to try out for a while. So, we sat down and ordered, and the drinks came along first. Then I suddenly realised that unless I left right then to move the car, which was up at Plymouth Friary car park, we'd be outstaying our welcome there and would get a ticket. So an immediate route march was called for, whilst CTMK stayed in the Diner and kept our table occupied. This little trip coincided with an horrendous deluge, the Assistant Deputy Emergency Reserve Umbrella got turned inside out and my shoes took on water. Finally moved the car, just in time, I hope, and returned to the Diner, where the kindly waiter had asked the chef to keep my lunch 'on hold'. No sausages or pasties, but a rather nice burger, which was worth the long walk in the rain!

Dear Cap'n, you don't know what shopping in Plymouth was like when department stores such as Dingles, Spooners and Pophams existed and before corporate takeovers like Debenhams, etc.  Long before your time when you actually got service instead of off the hanger DIY, as it is today in this Walmart world.  Dingles actually had a classy restaurant where one could partake lunch without having to rush to a car park in the rain.  You could actually park outside of the doors most of the time!

NOW BACK TO TRAINS.  Seeing as how you're around Plymouth, how are things at Friary and the Cattewater Branch?  Haven't heard much lately but I assume the end is nigh.  It would be nice to have some final run instead of disappearing further into decline and ignominy.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Ho Ho Dingles' sale. I remember that. I also remember buying a very nice Saffron Cake in there....................must have been about 1963/64.

Friary was a lovely Station (Shed was fun too).

Phil

Here you are Phil, nostalgia time.

post-21039-0-23654200-1452411676_thumb.jpg

• Like 7