SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Yes, exactly that.  Thanks.  Via the controller you also get a 16dc supply (the silver nuts).

I've seen these for a fiver at some shows.

There's some on fleebay at less,but I think  its worth getting a new/ish one split from a set

I think Stu means something like this  there are plenty of others on fleebay to bid on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R965-Train-Controller-with-transformer-/222513498898?epid=1823234015&hash=item33ced68b12:g:8T4AAOSwq1JZGy0E

Give me a shout if you're after one of these Phil, we have one doing absolutely nothing which you can have.

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Last year I thought it would be a good idea to get some 12v/5v computer power suppliers, as used for external hard drives, to supply my servo controllers. The cheap ones I ended up with fron ebay were rubbish, if not actually dangerous. Everything was suspiciously light compared with the older ones I had, even the mains plug was undernourished, and everything got hot. Not recommended. I'd say the model railway controllers could well be the easiest solution.

But if you don't mind a central power source a regular pc power supply can be a good choice. Plenty of 5/12v plugs, ready to be used. One pair of ways in the scary big connector need to be linked, to do the job of the pc on/off switch.

Btw, slightly off topic, but might be useful as you increase the amount of electrickery in the roof. Although I have a nice lot of mains sockets, I have tended to run things off extension leads with a bit of supplementary lighting on the same multiway. Then I know that if all lights are all off nothing has been left on to overheat.

Thanks

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Last year I thought it would be a good idea to get some 12v/5v computer power suppliers, as used for external hard drives, to supply my servo controllers. The cheap ones I ended up with fron ebay were rubbish, if not actually dangerous. Everything was suspiciously light compared with the older ones I had, even the mains plug was undernourished, and everything got hot. Not recommended. I'd say the model railway controllers could well be the easiest solution.

But if you don't mind a central power source a regular pc power supply can be a good choice. Plenty of 5/12v plugs, ready to be used. One pair of ways in the scary big connector need to be linked, to do the job of the pc on/off switch.

Btw, slightly off topic, but might be useful as you increase the amount of electrickery in the roof. Although I have a nice lot of mains sockets, I have tended to run things off extension leads with a bit of supplementary lighting on the same multiway. Then I know that if all lights are all off nothing has been left on to overheat.

Thanks

Dave

Classic idea. I was thinking of asking our friendly Sparks to sort me some sort of device to keep things like that and also a replacement switch on the landing, at eye level, with a light so that myself and SWMBO can see if things are left live dans le Junction (loft).

P

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nowt done up the Junction today (so far) as I have paid a flying (see what I did there) visit to Little Bythem to get inspired and meet a couple of folk I have not seen for ages.

My advice is do not use the A1 on Fridays as it is sh#te. I used the country route via Ancaster on the way home; much more interesting and  less crowded.

Have received from the Manx man (New Haven Neil) a few goodies this morning. Three Gaugemaster DC 80 Froggy Switch things and so I shall go and read the destructions for those. Other bits are of little interest as they are sundries as they say (but very needed).

Must mention the superb service from the Manx man's place of work.

Laters,

Philth 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nowt done up the Junction today (so far) as I have paid a flying (see what I did there) visit to Little Bythem to get inspired and meet a couple of folk I have not seen for ages.

My advice is do not use the A1 on Fridays as it is sh#te. I used the country route via Ancaster on the way home; much more intersting and  less crowded.

Have received from the Manx man (New Haven Neil) a few goodies this morning. Three Gaugemaster DC 80 Froggy Switch things and so I shall go and read the destructions for those. Other bits are of little interest as they are sundries as they say (but very needed).

Must mention the superb service from the Manx man's place of work.

Laters,

Philth 

Well, that took me about 30 seconds; they really are very simple and will be so easy to install under the boards. 

Philth.

• Like 2

Classic idea. I was thinking of asking our friendly Sparks to sort me some sort of device to keep things like that and also a replacement switch on the landing, at eye level, with a light so that myself and SWMBO can see if things are left live dans le Junction (loft).

P

THat's what I did at Waverley East - there is a plug socket by the stairs going up into the loft from which I have daisy chained a set of extension leads of about 10'length each.  They all have two outputs at the end - one for whatever is being run off it, the other for the next extension.

This allows me to have all the LED lighting, transformers, power points for soldering irons, desk lamps, sound system and so on, on a single switch. We know that if there is light in the loft, as it were, then the mains has been left on.

I think I got the idea form a Tony Wright article - If I'd known you were off to Little Bytham, I'd have asked you to say thanks to him!

Ah how I envy you having two other great layouts within such a close drive, not to mention Grantham!

• RMweb Premium

THat's what I did at Waverley East - there is a plug socket by the stairs going up into the loft from which I have daisy chained a set of extension leads of about 10'length each.  They all have two outputs at the end - one for whatever is being run off it, the other for the next extension.

This allows me to have all the LED lighting, transformers, power points for soldering irons, desk lamps, sound system and so on, on a single switch. We know that if there is light in the loft, as it were, then the mains has been left on.

I think I got the idea form a Tony Wright article - If I'd known you were off to Little Bytham, I'd have asked you to say thanks to him!

Ah how I envy you having two other great layouts within such a close drive, not to mention Grantham!

Ah yes, but you have the Bluebell (and Waverly West of course) ;)

P

Could the flat ballast fill between the tracks be represented by turning pecoboo foam underlay upside down and trimming to fit?  And sprayed a slightly different colour from the track ballast?

That's what she said, anyway.

post-238-0-76662600-1501329040_thumb.jpg

ps, Audrey says she saw some lovely pictures of SJ just now, but frankly I think she's losing her marbles.  May have to trade her in for a new model.  

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, my last post just wouldn't compute so I'll try again.....

Good afternoon. This morning I have mainly been prepping droppers (well not technically droppers, but you will see what i mean later) & soldering in my Fiddle Yard. About three years ago I did something similar and then undid it because I had not really decided to go DCC; hey ho!

I have also taken a few pics to help the CCE who has placed a Possession Order on the Junction for 4.08.17. Diversion via that other Branch Line to the west so that will shock the spotters at Taunton.

CCE and Assistant CCE require evidence of the Ballast layout for the Branch Platform 3 and Down Yard areas,

Assistant CCE has included a pic of the Incline Refuge and Box for his own use only. Asst. CCE is considering the construction of the Box without the aid of medication or Chemical enhancements.

However, as we all should remember, the main lines must work before  anything else really happens. Please remind me of this as I get over enthusiastic (but the Incline section is almost certainly a working railway when powered up). 

post-2326-0-02267300-1501329017_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-61181200-1501329026_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-83267100-1501329034_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-71761900-1501329047_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-51661300-1501329058_thumb.jpg

Please respect the Copyright (pics from books).

CBA to caption these but first two show west end, next two show Branch Platform area and the final one shows the Incline.

Phish

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Could the flat ballast fill between the tracks be represented by turning pecoboo foam underlay upside down and trimming to fit?  And sprayed a slightly different colour from the track ballast?

That's what she said, anyway.

attachicon.gif194609-audrey-fleurot-est-hortense-larcher-la-950x0-2.jpg

ps, Audrey says she saw some lovely pictures of SJ just now, but frankly I think she's losing her marbles.  May have to trade her in for a new model.  

I suspect clevage infill may not be her first concern, however your idea is a good one but a bit expensive and I'm going to play with 'stuff', including plasticard and gunge + loads of sloppy paint, powder filler and then flock off the whole thing.

Sir Merci de Buckets

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to see here........................

(Not the same sets):

from this;

post-2326-0-34013400-1501331449_thumb.jpg

to this

post-2326-0-48162100-1501331457_thumb.jpg

to this

post-2326-0-82454800-1501331465_thumb.jpg

All FY sidings will be powered from the FY BUS and I won't do anything clever about divvying them up in any way unless it becomes obvious that that is what is required. The BUS will attach to the copper strips at the back of each of these pics. There are about 3 more to do (six or seven in total). Van (old Kitmaster one that is partially finished (Dave Franks Buffers so far!) is to test that I haven't covered anywhere with a lump of blobby solder.

I found the Bridge wing walls and have fitted them temporarily to see what it looks like when it goes back in position. This is the standard pecoboo product that will be enhanced a little once I get going on that sort of stuff. I think I've had this since the 70s as well! 

Sir Stoner de la Buttress 

post-2326-0-83396100-1501331473_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

For the missing ballast, in the photo with the green train, find a scrap piece of foam underlay and try gently adding some Mek or similar glue. You may find it will eat the foam away, leaving the desired effect.

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

I shut down Radio Essex and it takes a week for the "Boy" to sort out my dongle thingy so I can transmit as Radio Middle of Nowhere Lincolnshire and it looks like Sir Anas Platyrhynchos has nearly got cuff-cuffs running :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

• RMweb Premium

I shut down Radio Essex and it takes a week for the "Boy" to sort out my dongle thingy so I can transmit as Radio Middle of Nowhere Lincolnshire and it looks like Sir Anas Platyrhynchos has nearly got cuff-cuffs running :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Must happen before September 13th; the anniversary of Geoff Brewin's passing. I want him to be able to look down and have a laugh.

Where you be now boy? (PM me ). Word of advice, don't mention yellow bellies.

P

• RMweb Premium

For the missing infill ballast, try a very!!! small amount of expanding foam.

Test somewhere off the layout first...

If that's the nice sort of plasticy stuff, rather than the  horrible expanded stuff that makes my remaining teeth go on edge, I could try some. I was thinking more of a load old cardboard or similar. No expense spared on my layout Stu.   :declare:

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

It's the one that comes in an aerosol can...

Having used the stuff a fair bit on domestic and modelling projects I would caution against its use anywhere near trackwork.

You'll find the can has a completely different idea to you of a "small amount" and the stuff has a habit of going crazy when your back is turned.

If it's just infill between the foam underlay you're after then why not go for strips of corrugated cardboard? Simple and not very messy.

I'm using 5mm thick foamboard (the product which is a thin layer of foam between two bits of card) quite extensively on Pencarrow. Also worth a thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're no fun, you lot...

Somewhere on the Treneglos thread is a photo of when spray foam goes bad. Filled in a slight void in one of the hills. Came back the next day to find a magical column of foam about 18" tall on the layout.