SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Right, I'm knackered, but there are only 6 pairs of 'droppers' to do in the FY (unless I find the need for others) and the BUS to copper strip links. So I shall have a cup of tea and a bit of snap and then maybe, if I don't fall asleep, I shall ascend and do those last bits.

Enough on here for today; thanks for all your advice and fun.

Phil

• Like 2

I suspect clevage infill may not be her first concern, however your idea is a good one but a bit expensive and I'm going to play with 'stuff', including plasticard and gunge + loads of sloppy paint, powder filler and then flock off the whole thing.

Sir Merci de Buckets

I don't think she'll appreciate you doing that with her cleavage!

But what you do in the privacy of your own loft is not our concern!

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere on the Treneglos thread is a photo of when spray foam goes bad. Filled in a slight void in one of the hills. Came back the next day to find a magical column of foam about 18" tall on the layout.

Hmm, possible light bulb moment - perhaps I could use expanding foam to make a St Austell Alp...

• RMweb Premium

No 'magic columns' on SOSJ as it is too cold up there. Anyway, last evening I managed to complete the FY droppers and start to attach some Main Line BUS droppers to what I think will be the main  line BUS but is a bit untidy. Not sure I will keep it. SWMBO is away for a few days so I shall get on with stuff without harrassment and leave the kitchen in an ordered mess.

been for my morning walk already and so, off to fire up the Iron and to stop myself looking at 'bargains' on MR sales site..however I must buy some Capacitors and Resistors to fabricate a few BUS Terminator ......post-2326-0-28675000-1501400001.jpg ....Supressors ..post-2326-0-60849000-1501400102.jpg (he will do I suppose?)

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, possible light bulb moment - perhaps I could use expanding foam to make a St Austell Alp...

I have found the stuff fine for its intended purpose but entirely uncontrollable and unpredictable in our environment. Perhaps extruding the stuff off-stage, as it were, and then shaping it to your intended contour, might work, but it is messy when wet and quite resilient when set, making a lot of dust which may be nasty. Caution and fresh air needed!

• RMweb Gold

I have found the stuff fine for its intended purpose but entirely uncontrollable and unpredictable in our environment. Perhaps extruding the stuff off-stage, as it were, and then shaping it to your intended contour, might work, but it is messy when wet and quite resilient when set, making a lot of dust which may be nasty. Caution and fresh air needed!

You could make a cone from card, then fill it with the expanding foam, then remove the card when it's set.

• RMweb Premium

You could make a cone from card, then fill it with the expanding foam, then remove the card when it's set.

Thanks Ian and Stu. Yes, I've used the stuff before in small quantities to plug draughts in cavity walls. It is pretty wild when unconfined (aren't we all?).

My first thoughts for the Alp were to make a cone but I couldn't see how to give it strength and texture. Filling the cone with foam, ripping off the card and carving to shape sounds more promising.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

There's no real short cut to good looking trackwork, my friend. I would strongly recommend that all track work, not just wiring etc. but also including painting, weathering and all ballast work is completely finished before you do any serious scenic work. That way you avoid damaging your delicate scenery when you start poking paintbrushes at the track to weather it etc.

As for the ballast and general 'dirt/grunge' between the ballasted areas, I think that Spams is on the right track here. You'll need to find something like card and cut it out as close to exact size as possible, glue it in place, and then put your chosen dirt/grunge mix on the top. The dirt/grunge area has a different appearance from the ballast, so I wouldn't use the Peco foam underlay for that, as it may well end up not looking sufficiently 'different' from the ballasted areas.

• Like 2

Phil,

There's no real short cut to good looking trackwork, my friend. I would strongly recommend that all track work, not just wiring etc. but also including painting, weathering and all ballast work is completely finished before you do any serious scenic work. That way you avoid damaging your delicate scenery when you start poking paintbrushes at the track to weather it etc.

As for the ballast and general 'dirt/grunge' between the ballasted areas, I think that Spams is on the right track here. You'll need to find something like card and cut it out as close to exact size as possible, glue it in place, and then put your chosen dirt/grunge mix on the top. The dirt/grunge area has a different appearance from the ballast, so I wouldn't use the Peco foam underlay for that, as it may well end up not looking sufficiently 'different' from the ballasted areas.

He's right. I tend to ballast everything, including the Cess and then mix some poster paint powder and drop that between the rails to darken down the running area

He's right. I tend to ballast everything, including the Cess and then mix some poster paint powder and drop that between the rails to darken down the running area

I mix the ballast 'setting fluid' in small amounts in a small 'squeezy' bottle,

a mix of PVA/Kleer, a drop of meths and a dollop of black paint (poster or

acrylic), that way each batch is slightly different, and adds to the natural

effect.

• RMweb Premium

That all sounds good, even the Meths bit (yummy with some ice and lemon).

OK, been up the Junction this morning instead of checking the allotment (well it is meant to rain sometime today and I can't possibly go out) and continued with sorting the temp BUS for one of the mains. I have been checking for power continuity with a Meter and my west end Frog Juicer didn't explode when I powered that section up. 

One thing I am quite lucky with is that the BUS runs for the main lines can all be off stage but not necessarily under the boards. The only things that will be a bit of a fag will be fitting point motors under board, however none of them will need any soldering and that is such a bonus and I have a glamourous assistant lined up to help with those :imsohappy:  ;)  :yahoo: 

So, this afternoon.....what to do? I think I'll do some more wiring. :smoke: 

Sir Wirebits de la Solder 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Slightly concerned. We had a post from CAK, he confirmed or denied nothing, didn't mention sausage or saffron cake and completely ignored Hatherford West.

He was talking ballast as usual. :jester: