SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

`Digressing for a moment back to the main subject here, I just came across this rather odd video in YouTube which shows how  our cousins across the pond set about modelling steam...Best to fast forward to about half way through - from minute 11 to 13 is the best bit...

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Do not forget....

Sir Plus

Sir Cumnavigate

Sir Tificate

Sir Vical

Sir Up

Edited by nhy581

• RMweb Premium

`Digressing for a moment back to the main subject here, I just came across this rather odd video in YouTube which shows how  our cousins across the pond set about modelling steam...Best to fast forward to about half way through - from minute 11 to 13 is the best bit...

Sir Huge Longone Dans le Jardin.

Wow! 

• Like 1

I do sometimes wonder what passing visitors make of the madness that is this forum...

Sir Feat of Delight

I recall, There was that bloke who turned up here last year (or longer ?) and had a real moan.

Whinged that it was supposed to be about model railroads.

It was pointed out to him that Model trains are supposed to be fun and that's what We were having, also if He actually read some of it He might find a fair bit of rail related stuff (and might crack a smile for the first time ever). :O

I don't think He came back :D

Anyway talking of King Arthur's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-LY_FGCX78

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I recall, There was that bloke who turned up here last year (or longer ?) and had a real moan.

It was pointed out to him that Model trains are supposed to be fun and that's what We were having, also if He actually read some of it He might find a fair bit of rail related stuff (and might crack a smile for the first time ever). :O

That would be Sir Lamington in our part of the world I suppose?

He was probably disappointed to find we don't have an online shop selling anoraks!

• RMweb Premium

He was probably disappointed to find we don't have an online shop selling anoraks!

I don't remember that person but I'm not plowing through pages of utter carp with nothing about railways in them just to find it.

That was a very nice climb of Parkstone bank with ten on. A veritable Sir Crampon de Ascent performance.

Ducky's been Up the Junction rather a long time don't you think? Went up there at 19:01 last night and not been heard of since...

Thanks for your concern CCE, I have yet to install the air bed up the Junction but I did spend rather a long time soldering droppers and other little bits of wire in the Fiddle Yard and descended about late news time (whatever that is?) I'll start to worry when I hear Sailing By whilst still up there. 

So what was achieved yesterday?

Much soldering of wire bits. Only two burnt fingers this time.

Attaching a couple more simples Pecoboo surface point motors (FY).

Using some neat little Pecoboo clips to tidy up existing pointwork surface wires.

Bit of in situ track weathering that didn't last long as I got bored very quickly.

Wondering if I could use an old RH point for the catch point in the Incline Refuge and then deciding it looked rubbish and I would have to make one that looked a proper job. I will enjoy that sometime soon.

Creation of what 'might be' BUS runs and realising just how much large capacity wire bits I require to create 4/5 BUSes. Some of this is Ring Mains wire that an electrician gave me a couple of years ago that is beautiful copper (clad) but a bit unweildy and not very flexible. Someone very helpfull suggested that if I do 4/5 BUSes to create 'Districts', I could use coded colours BUS runs and I think that is a good idea but means buying more wire! Ummmmmmm! Maybe I'll try to use what I've got but label them carefully (lots of the BUS will be on the surface off stage anyway)? 

Phone call to Track Shack for some bits including DCC80 Autofrogs. Thanks Neil; good to chat.

Think that was about it?

I must not get over excited and stick to my Goal of making sure the main lines and FY work before I go doing anything else such as starting scenics that then may have to be ripped up. Or laying the Up and Down Yards that do not really require the CCE to use his magic wand (other than in helping fit some underboard Cobalts. The Down Yard in particular relies on the postion of the 'Branch' and the CCE deffo needs to advise on that.

I'm busy with other things today until late afternoon, so no pics at the moment.

Anyone got any clever tricks to work out where Platform edges need to be in relation to stock so as to look prototypical. The curves are illustrated earlier. May it involve a marker attached to a coach?

Laters.

Philth

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Anyone got any clever tricks to work out where Platform edges need to be in relation to stock so as to look prototypical. The curves are illustrated earlier. May it involve a marker attached to a coach?

Laters.

Philth

Tape pencils to the middle of the platform side and the outer corner of the longest coach.

Place paper under the track - ensure pencils reach to paper.

Push coach along track, ensuring pencils leave marks.

Use paper as template for cutting platform.

Glue platform down with as much sticky stuff as possible.

Run GWR loco through platform and curse as cylinders foul platform edge.... :)

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 3

Nothing more sophisticated than this required for Grantham's platforms.

post-16151-0-79200800-1501056510_thumb.jpg

In terms of the 'look', an important aspect to determine is the platform height. Most platforms were originally built a lot lower than we're used to (hence the step boards on coaching stock). Depending on location, they might have been raised at some stage (I think I noted concrete platform sides on some pix you've shown us of SJ but can't be certain). If the height is lower than solebar height then that'll make clearance issues a little easier.

Sir Tain of Nowt

• Like 2