SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

What a happy duck indeed, and what a fortunate one. Indeed, how fortunate we all are to have found a hobby where such generosity and asistance is freely given and offered. Phil, I can imagine what  a huge boost that has been. I know all about gazing at prototype pictures, realising that something like this will be essential, and wondering how the hell it is ever going to be possible to get it. You don't look as though you need much more to keep the impetus going, given your recent rate of progress, but I'm sure this very generous and beautiful surprise has boosted you even more.

Very kind G. It was a surprise and those are often good for the soul. Graham enjoys building signals, something I have done very little of.

Now what I need is some inspiration as to how to get a pair (in tandem) of Double Slips to go live without point motors being attached (yet).

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Your Duckness, you must mispertaken, it is essential to spend at least £50 on a decoder otherwise it just won't work.  I read it on a thread so it must be true.  On the other hand, I have lots and lots of locos that I have fitted a myriad of decoders to, and some, but not all, work perfectly well with R8429 power.  Funny that, I was assured they don't.  I gave up on that thread as I have been using DCC for 20 years but obviously know nothing.

Loving your signal delivered by the generous and skilled CCE of Grantham.  It uplifts the spirits to hear such things.

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Been playing Eastenders with the trickery and testing running as I did yesterday. With just a tad of fettle it all works, bar one FY point (to be sorted this P.M.) Interestingly neither of my fixed crossing Frogs need Juicing; don't know why but who cares? Means I have two Juicer ports spare...... :nono:

So, here is the amazing gift I was presented with by the CCE on his previous to most recent visit, who is obviously a CS& TE as well. 

11/10 for this piece of engineering; isn't it just wonderful and it came as a complete surprise and I just can not keep it a secret any longer. I'm told it isn't quite finished details wise as we have to double check the Prto pics. 

Graham of Grantham we salute you.

attachicon.gifImg_0442.jpg

attachicon.gifimage0-010.jpg

Actually this pic is really useful for Platform 2 detail.

attachicon.gifStation looking east.JPG

L. Ampman

That's a superb signal and a fantastic gift. You have some great friends Ducky.

Those whistles and wasn't that a treat? Tornado (in blue) north thro Retford at about 32mins was very pleasing.

Thanks Smiffy.

Smashing Video Smithy, thanks for that. I have to agree with Phil regarding the A1 in Blue, it looked fab. I can't see why they'd want to paint it any other colour really ! (Retreats into corner with arms covering head)

Your Duckness, you must mispertaken, it is essential to spend at least £50 on a decoder otherwise it just won't work.  I read it on a thread so it must be true.  On the other hand, I have lots and lots of locos that I have fitted a myriad of decoders to, and some, but not all, work perfectly well with R8429 power.  Funny that, I was assured they don't.  I gave up on that thread as I have been using DCC for 20 years but obviously know nothing.

Neil I completely agree with you, out of all my DCC equipped locos, the one that gets the most use is a Railroad A1 (Bon Accord) split from a DCC train set and bought for 70 quid. (although strangely for railroad it has cab glazing)

Despite the fact that it is Tornado tooling and therefore "incorrect" so must be the work of the devil and has the apparently rubbish standard Hornby decoder it's never missed a beat (and pulls 7blood and custards without fuss).

I wish My fancy expensive Loco's and chips were so bullet proof, I don't think there's too much wrong with the standard el cheapo Hornby decoders (any future failures will result in a standard Hornby Chip replacement).

I get the impression that perhaps there is a degree of chip snobbery within the hobby ;)

post-23233-0-33741400-1503287326.jpg

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I get the impression that perhaps there is a degree of chip snobbery within the hobby ;)

I can agree with that. The same sort of snobbery that hi-fi (remember that?) and photography seem to encourage. Undoubtedly some more expensive decoder brands do offer more features, more smoothness etc. Empirical testing will show these differences, of course. But in the real world of running a miniature train service on your layout, their visibility is not that obvious. You pays your money and makes your choice.

On my layout with its ancient hammant & Morgan duette controllers the only chips we have are those sneaked in when SWMBO is off visiting her mother

It's safe to take them up there as she visits so rarely, by which time any incriminating odours will have dissipated

There is also a well stocked beer fridge up there, which I am 'looking after' for our son!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Decoder snobbery :O Isn't there snobbery across the hobby. On the Peecaboo  thread I was told I am not a real modeller because I don't make my own track. :nono:

Surely the main object of the hobby is for personal fun. I do enjoy sharing what I do and likewise enjoy what others do. I am no better than anyone else who enjoys what they do. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

• Like 7

Decoder snobbery :O Isn't there snobbery across the hobby. On the Peecaboo  thread I was told I am not a real modeller because I don't make my own track. 

WHAT !!! You don't make your own track !! I can't believe you even have the nerve to post on the Peecaboo FB BS topic Clive. You're not worthy. :protest: (Just kidding chaps)

Edit - Isn't the whole idea of Peecaboo for those of us who can't/ won't / CBA hand making track ? Why would those who choose to make their own be posting there to start with ? (Actually it's a bit unfair to say "those who make their own") .

I think it's just a minority of blokes go onto certain threads just to pick a fight.

Second Edit - Despite swearing I'd never go back, curiosity got the better of me and I went back to Peecaboo FB for another look, there's more sniping going on there, than in Afghanistan.

Surely the main object of the hobby is for personal fun. I do enjoy sharing what I do and likewise enjoy what others do. I am no better than anyone else who enjoys what they do. :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Hallelujah to that.(Although it's no wonder you nearly got exterminated on the Peecaboo thread with that liberal kind of thinking). :butcher:

It's a bad place to find yourself near the RM DarkWeb. Neil was nearly beaten to death twice the other week for using Hornby decoders. :rtfm:

Cheers Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

On my layout with its ancient hammant & Morgan duette controllers the only chips we have are those sneaked in when SWMBO is off visiting her mother

It's safe to take them up there as she visits so rarely, by which time any incriminating odours will have dissipated

There is also a well stocked beer fridge up there, which I am 'looking after' for our son!

Incriminationg odours.....does that include the whiff of smouldering Credit Card?

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And now, the time is near, I have to face, the final trickery .....etc. Will I say I did it my way? That is, I have to sort out my Slips.

Ar$£

They're easier than you might think Phil. Just two points that overlap in the middle. Each motor switches the frog at the other end.

DoubleSlipFrogs.gif

Ummm, yummy stuff.

Phartypants

Damn Phil - every time I work out where the red leads are going and which are green, the damn thing changes - bit like whenever I try to make mine swap over in real life! I have to spend at least three minuted working out which one does what before throwing the switches. On top of that ti took me a whole day to work out the wiring to allow trains to cross the Up main to get from the down loop to the down main, or swap from the down main to the UP main  when doing light engine movements from the shed to the station.

Heyup Sir Lec Trickery - guess where we woz at the weekend...

post-16151-0-62890500-1503316070_thumb.jpg

Seen (scene) from a railway carriage (rather fastly!)

post-16151-0-62364300-1503316091_thumb.jpg

Seen in Colyton station buffet (Seaton Tramway)

post-16151-0-36756700-1503316193_thumb.jpg

Seen at a rather wet Dawlish sea front, one of them Bully Beef thingies (sans can).

More to follow later on the Grantham thread...

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Damn Phil - every time I work out where the red leads are going and which are green, the damn thing changes - bit like whenever I try to make mine swap over in real life! I have to spend at least three minuted working out which one does what before throwing the switches. On top of that ti took me a whole day to work out the wiring to allow trains to cross the Up main to get from the down loop to the down main, or swap from the down main to the UP main  when doing light engine movements from the shed to the station.

Do a couple of screen prints old chap you might just capture what you want.

Prof T Edison

• RMweb Premium

Ah Graham, thank you, what a treat; see how tidy the station be since the good lad and his mum have done their work (see short discussion earlier). That pic of the M7; apart from the walking Bobby I will be able to replicate that if I get a camera on a stick. Stubby's Hut  on Platform 1 looks good doesn't it.

That lovely can is the mighty Clan Line. I have a Vid of that thing doing its' stuff many years ago and if you want to see a rock and roll loco in one shot then I have it, coming through Surbiton or somewhere like that at a rate of knots. Good loco that one. 

ATB

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Strangely the score is Mad Duck 2, Trickery Slips 0 at the moment and all the Up sidings are alive and kicking except for a few tweaks as not every loco runs over them without a stutter at the moment (because I've just fitted only two temp DCC 80s and could need to fit another or two)  I might not bother with the point motors (you need 4 I think) and do fingerpokinwireintubin' on those. Such is the delight of DCC in that it is, as Sainty says, easier than you think and these S;lips are right by the operator's space.

• Like 2

Ah Graham, thank you, what a treat; see how tidy the station be since the good lad and his mum have done their work (see short discussion earlier).

ATB

Phil

For those who missed it here is the link to the story about the dynamic duo cleaning up the station. Hats off to them I say :good:

http://www.eastdevon24.co.uk/news/colyton-pair-s-station-clean-up-1-4898287

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can agree with that. The same sort of snobbery that hi-fi (remember that?) and photography seem to encourage. Undoubtedly some more expensive decoder brands do offer more features, more smoothness etc. Empirical testing will show these differences, of course. But in the real world of running a miniature train service on your layout, their visibility is not that obvious. You pays your money and makes your choice.

Oh dear..... on ANTB, I have just recommended the Lenz Silver Mini that I use on my 64xx....and other locos that require a 6 pin decoder..........I hope that doesn't make me appear a snob.

Over the years I have tried all manner of decoders and have long since decided that Lenz provide me with the consistent performane that I require. In fairness I may be unduly picky because of RR&Co.

I do agree though that you pays your money and makes your choice

Regards from Vancouver where we have just been eclipsed (partially)...…it is true that all the birds go quiet!

John

Edited to correct unwanted help from ipad

Edited by john dew

• RMweb Premium

There aren't any 6 pin decoders that I have really liked bar Lenz - there was one which I won't mention as I am in the trade and it wouldn't be right, which was truly and utterly awful!  The old Bachmann one (ESU IIRC, or was it Soundtraxx?) wasn't too bad, the new one is a lot more expensive but I haven't tried one yet.

I'm sure there are many much more expensive ones to buy should you feel the need to go upmarket!