SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

This morning I extended the Down BUS and modified the Up BUS. More trickery to sort. I now have two functioning main lines and an Up Loop. I shall have to wire up the Down Loop later today and then see if I can get the Branch to function as well.

So I have run trains in both directions at the same time, passing at various points and so far nothing has fallen off, crashed or decided to give up the ghost. I can only run two with one just cruising as I have only one Hand Held Control Unit wired up at the moment.

More later.

Phil

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

This morning I extended the Down BUS and modified the Up BUS. More trickery to sort. I now have two functioning main lines and an Up Loop. I shall have to wire up the Down Loop later today and then see if I can get the Branch to function as well.

So I have run trains in both directions at the same time, passing at various points and so far nothing has fallen off, crashed or decided to give up the ghost. I can only run two with one just cruising as I have only one Hand Held Control Unit wired up at the moment.

More later.

Phil

:locomotive: wowza :locomotive:  wowza :locomotive:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

G'day Gents

tested one of my chips today, plugged it in to a Sausage roll, don't work, Sausage roll must be flat, I'll recharge it later.

manna

Did you give it the beans, I thought you had to do that as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Pride comes before a fall.....................I'll just get the Down Station Loop wired up and running this afternoon I thought at lunch time. No chance.

It is really only a loop and one part of it just will not bl00dy work and I'm damned if I can see why. The section that refuses to go is between the toe of the point where the Down Main and this loop divide, creating the through Down Main and the Station Down Loop and the heel of the Branch (trailing point). I've checked the wires that need wiring; the 4/5 feet of track between them is just plain track with steel joiners except at the Branch point heel where there is an IRJ on the heel frog rail and steel joiner on the outer running rail. The other point has had steels, IRJs and one of each on it and none has cured the problem. I'm off tho do some more faffing. Pah!

Philth 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Sod it I'd forgotten the meter. I can't remember how to use it anyway despite my good mate the CCE telling me to switch to Ohms and read the resulting whatevers. It is the latter that I don't know what it is all about. Looks a bit like a fruit machine read out.

DCC is all about 2 wires isn't it? Well the fault was one so##ing wire that had come loose; one ####dy wire. There is a message here in that now I know both circuits work OK I shall go and do some tidying up of the temp wiring and label each 'loom'. The first one will be an heirloom, the second a silk loom, the third one cotton loom and so on. I can see a lot of crawling looming over the horizon.....................that's enough................... :crazy:  :banghead:  :lazy:

I never knew how satisfying fault finding could be.............and now I'm even more knackred than usual so I have walked away before my Spam ignites itself or something.

Plan for tomorrow is a shorter up The Junction day and to do some other stuff and get some fresh air.

Thanks for your support, I shall use it when my back gives up.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of you only need two wires on dcc, you're proving you have to have systematic sectioning on any line past the smallest size to have any chance of fault tracing. Glad you've sorted it.

It's because I don't and never have had a clue about trickery except for the simplest of jobs. However I am learning a bit.

Thanks matey.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

All this talk of you only need two wires on dcc, you're proving you have to have systematic sectioning on any line past the smallest size to have any chance of fault tracing. Glad you've sorted it.

There are only two wires but they each come in several parts.

More later.

Phil

With DCC you can of course do that on the same track...

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised that the trains at St Enodoc don't fall off the tracks as they are upside down....................................

Good morning. 

Swim first, then Tai Chi to get me mellowed and ready for the two wires. Lunch and chat at Idle Valley NR and then back up the Junction. I'm going to have to take a deep breath today and try to get the whole Branch to work, such fun.

Philth 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Surely that depends on the speed of the two trains and the size of the circuit.

Well we know the size of our dear Ducky's loft isn't infinite and that he likes crack expresses running at speed. I therefore deducted the Big Bang wouldn't be too far away.

• RMweb Gold

Oh yes, of course. I'd forgotten the Volcanic activity around your neck of the woods. How do you clean the wheels after a run in that stuff?

A. Nidiot.

I imagine you just replace them 'cos they've melted.

• RMweb Premium

Wind resistance could also be a factor but best not discuss Ducky's gluten intolerance...

If only..........................

Now, just before I depart, do you happen to have heard any SR steam sounds that are any use at all dear heart? I know that Mr Chetter I think it is did an A4 (arggh) some years back and that sounded really authentic, especially the whistle. If there is a Spam sound programme that good I'd go for it (just the one, or two.......)

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised that the trains at St Enodoc don't fall off the tracks as they are upside down....................................

Sometimes they do - usually when I am trying to impress some visitors.