SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, in my recent youtube roaming's I didn't find too much that concerned the Duchess of Argyll. (Perhaps a different kind of website needed)

But I did find this little Gem. I seem to have a strange fascination for them and it appears they are on the radar for a Hornby re release soon.

Any requirement for some of these at SOS Phil ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig-6QBDCbF8

The only Charlies at SOSJ won't look like that dear heart......................................or Coffee Pots for that matter. I have no evidence of one ever being there, however ther was a rumour that one actually did come down west on a Banana Train from Southampton when the Tarin loco failed (must have been a Grange). I believe the steam reverser was really notorious for being useless so how it ever got home I don't know.

C. Lankynoises

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

The only Charlies at SOSJ won't look like that dear heart......................................or Coffee Pots for that matter. I have no evidence of one ever being there, however ther was a rumour that one actually did come down west on a Banana Train from Southampton when the Tarin loco failed (must have been a Grange). I believe the steam reverser was really notorious for being useless so how it ever got home I don't know.

C. Lankynoises

My experience of cans of American meat products and steam reversers is similar.

• RMweb Gold

It's normally at this point of the weekend that, thoroughly engloomed by hours of reading obscure academic texts, I post a picture of a saucy maid to this splendid thread.

Today however, I shall post this:  

attachicon.gifdec 03.jpg

and say 'my little branch line engine has more wheels than yours does, so nar nar ne nar nar'

Yeah - but ain't Russians communist?

EDIT - And, for the listeners at home only https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjptpq88uPVAhXBWxoKHRCaAusQFgg-MAY&url=http%3A%2F%2Flocomotive.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FFrisco_No._1630&usg=AFQjCNFunHxguxiBs9aaFj8B233ZKd1sqg

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's normally at this point of the weekend that, thoroughly engloomed by hours of reading obscure academic texts, I post a picture of a saucy maid to this splendid thread.

Today however, I shall post this:  

attachicon.gifdec 03.jpg

and say 'my little branch line engine has more wheels than yours does, so nar nar ne nar nar'

That doesn't look like 'Evening Star' any more.

And there's some of you saying I've got too much time on my hands!

• RMweb Premium

Loads of loco's in the Soviet and ex Russian areas have the look of the USA builds as they were either built there, copied from one delivered, constructed with a big soldering iron from kits or were handed over after the Second World War to help the allies get back to having working railways.

My one visit to Ukraine to play with some steam loco's enabled me to see that. 

Today I have been mainly seeing if a train will run (and not fall off, even when reversing) on parts of the layout that are not the main lines, using various route combinations.

At the west end I have had some success after a few fettles here and there. At the east end I need to get some more wiring up completed as I do in both Yards (they will be last). Most of the Fiddle Yard seems to be functioning; hoorah!

Some advice I was given an age ago by St. Enodoc was absolutely correct. That was, use IRJs everywhere at pointwork, crossings etc. I thought I had sussed that out, but not quite and some retro fitting has been required but not on the main scenic areas (so far.............. :superstition: ). 

I also fitted replacement Dave Franks' buffers to a couple of inherited vans that had missing plastic ones. The DF cast ones are very tidy products; highly recommended.

I also have a few sets of buffer kits from LMS (Lanarkshire Model Supplies) and they are very neat as well (maybe not so when I've built them?)

finally I have found a source of ex Kirk Maunsell Dining Car kits and they are on order from sunny Essex.

That's about it other than one of my best running loco's so far is actually a Hornby Railroad Mallard. I thought the Hornby Decoders had a poor reputation from some posts on RMW. Not so in this case; smooth as a baby's ar$e, just as New Haven Neil said. :blind:

Phil

• Like 7

Loads of loco's in the Soviet and ex Russian areas have the look of the USA builds as they were either built there, copied from one delivered, constructed with a big soldering iron from kits or were handed over after the Second World War to help the allies get back to having working railways.

Today I have been mainly seeing if a train will run (and not fall off, even when reversing) on parts of the layout that are not the main lines, using various route combinations.

At the west end I have had some success after a few fettles here and there. At the east end I need to get some more wiring up completed as I do in both Yards (they will be last). Most of the Fiddle Yard seems to be functioning; hoorah!

Some advice I was given an age ago by St. Enodoc was absolutely correct. That was, use IRJs everywhere at pointwork, crossings etc. I thought I had sussed that out, but not quite and some retro fitting has been required but not on the main scenic areas (so far.............. :superstition: ). 

I also fitted replacement Dave Franks' buffers to a couple of inherited vans that had missing plastic ones. The DF cast ones are very tidy products; highly recommended.

I also have a few sets of buffer kits from LMS (Lanarkshire Model Supplies) and they are very neat as well (maybe not so when I've built them?)

finally I have found a source of ex Kirk Maunsell Dining Car kits and they are on order from sunny Essex.

That's about it other than one of my best running loco's so far is actually a Hornby Railroad Mallard. I thought the Hornby Decoders had a poor reputation from some posts on RMW. Not so in this case; smooth as a baby's ar$e, just as New Haven Neil said. :blind:

Phil

My Decoder of choice, if NOT a sound one, is the Gaugemaster DCC27, 8 / 21 pin, or the Hornby, I stay well away from Bachmann Decoders if I can.

• RMweb Premium

Phil

Snap Duckster, I've also been mucking around with track on Pencarrow. Thought it was about time it had some rail as it was in danger of being a diorama. Quite satisfying when stock starts rolling through pointwork.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Dear Mr Duck,

Since your return form in the early summer, the progress has been astronomical in comparison with your earlier efforts. Long may it continue.

Please stay away from traction that utilises steam reversers, nothing short of a pain in the arsh!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That doesn't look like 'Evening Star' any more.

And there's some of you saying I've got too much time on my hands!

Umm, that reminds me I have a couple of those juicy Spaceships, one being E.S. and I'm tempted to get it chipped ASAP to see if that can cope with my wiggly track. Thanks CK for the timely reminder.

Nighty Nighty.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. Firstly I do hope my good friend over on Peterborough North has resolved his discomfort issues and has slept well. I slept OK but kept half dreaming of how I was going to tackle certain areas of scenery. How sad is that? The other half of dreams also included thoughts on what point motors might go where; one of these thoughts actually resolved a 'challenge' I have created with a viewing hatch/hole (you will get to see these).

I wonder if my scanning through the Oakwood volume on Maunsell Steam era Coaches just before retiring last evening had some sort of affect?

Countryside scenics to the standard on layouts that appear on certain threads on RMW, such as Little Bytham, ANTB, Grantham, Andrew P's layouts, CK's  and PMP's artistic dioramas  and so many others (apologies for leaving friends out) and the simplicity of, but hugely atmospheric Sheep Dipped Mutton (or whatever it is called) and the excellent buildings on P North, are going to be tough to replicate. However, the latter is maybe not going to be so difficult due to a Welsh Exile's efforts!

Later today I am going to unveil something wonderful as I can conceal it no longer (if anyone even considers sniggering they should be ashamed as it is Sunday).

Laters as they say down the pub.

Phil 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Apologies. In a moment of schoolboy impishness.......I sniggered......

Thank you, Von Duck for even mentioning Sheepy et al in such esteemed company. Most kind.....Hopefully Mutton will continue the trend.

If I may make so bold....keep it as simple as you can. Do the basic ground cover and add the detail stuff later.

Rob.

post-14122-0-76356300-1503217633_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Apologies. In a moment of schoolboy impishness.......I sniggered......

Thank you, Von Duck for even mentioning Sheepy et al in such esteemed company. Most kind.....Hopefully Mutton will continue the trend.

If I may make so bold....keep it as simple as you can. Do the basic ground cover and add the detail stuff later.

Rob.

Love the irony of 'keep it simple ' I bet that took ages to create.

Looks excellent

Though- worth the effort

• RMweb Premium

Been playing Eastenders with the trickery and testing running as I did yesterday. With just a tad of fettle it all works, bar one FY point (to be sorted this P.M.) Interestingly neither of my fixed crossing Frogs need Juicing; don't know why but who cares? Means I have two Juicer ports spare...... :nono:

So, here is the amazing gift I was presented with by the CCE on his previous to most recent visit, who is obviously a CS& TE as well. 

11/10 for this piece of engineering; isn't it just wonderful and it came as a complete surprise and I just can not keep it a secret any longer. I'm told it isn't quite finished details wise as we have to double check the Prto pics. 

Graham of Grantham we salute you.

post-2326-0-70747900-1503228545_thumb.jpg

post-2326-0-27166000-1503229249_thumb.jpg

Actually this pic is really useful for Platform 2 detail.

L. Ampman

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 6

So, here is the amazing gift I was presented with by the CCE on his previous to most recent visit, who is obviously a CS& TE as well. 

11/10 for this piece of engineering; isn't it just wonderful and it came as a complete surprise and I just can not keep it a secret any longer.

Crikey, that's flasher than a rat with a gold tooth.

What a Happy Duck you must be.

• RMweb Premium

What a happy duck indeed, and what a fortunate one. Indeed, how fortunate we all are to have found a hobby where such generosity and asistance is freely given and offered. Phil, I can imagine what  a huge boost that has been. I know all about gazing at prototype pictures, realising that something like this will be essential, and wondering how the hell it is ever going to be possible to get it. You don't look as though you need much more to keep the impetus going, given your recent rate of progress, but I'm sure this very generous and beautiful surprise has boosted you even more.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Been playing Eastenders with the trickery and testing running as I did yesterday. With just a tad of fettle it all works, bar one FY point (to be sorted this P.M.) Interestingly neither of my fixed crossing Frogs need Juicing; don't know why but who cares? Means I have two Juicer ports spare...... :nono:

11/10 for this piece of engineering; isn't it just wonderful and it came as a complete surprise and I just can not keep it a secret any longer. I'm told it isn't quite finished details wise as we have to double check the Prto pics. 

attachicon.gifImg_0442.jpg

attachicon.gifimage0-010.jpg

Actually this pic is really useful for Platform 2 detail.

attachicon.gifStation looking east.JPG

L. Ampman

That's a tall one. :O

Vertigo Longfellow

Yeah - but ain't Russians communist?

Arr, but taint russian, tis baldwin.

Bald Stanley Win.

Talking of smooth track work - to see how a prototypical steam engine bumps about- check out this video of a rebuilt meat tin cracking through a station around about 33 minutes in!

Do we have to pop round your house to see it?