SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

These locos from Swinedon are all well and good but not like real engines are they? Good looking South Western locos didn't need spare bits of copper and brass tacking on to improve their looks.

A rebuilt Bulleid was one of the best looking locos ever......and they could go.

When we refer to a King, there is only one class and that is a King Arfur. Elegant in the extreme.

No, I think we should concentrate on the real Western and have done with all these clotty cream, chocolate boxy locomotives puffing up and down their little branchlines, racing buses an'stuff.

I thank you.

Extremus tasteinuss. Arfurs are lurrrrvvvveeeely.

Thank you

Sir Donealot Butnotgotfaryet

• RMweb Premium

Just to show what a Bulleid can sound like when going for it, here's a video taken on my phone at the Swanage Railway's Strictly Bulleid event in May 2017.

Phone mic note great but trust me it was superb.

And a second one...

Crud lighting conditions, late evening into the sun, but both were cracking climbs.

Truly magnifico just before my swimbo. 

Just a quick tale. About 15 + years ago I was fortunate enough to go to Leicester (Midland) and then the  GC (Loughborough by Bus) to meet up with the late Geoff Brewin and then return with Can Pacific.

On the way home, on a beautiful moonlit autumn night I witnessed am amazing climb up Sharnbrook from Wellingborough (where I had lived in the 70s) with the Moon full in the southern sky. It was absolutely superb and something I sahll remember for ever.

Phil

• Like 3

Whenever I watch those steamy vids on youtube, i get annoyed that I got 8 seconds of locomotive followed by two minutes of effing mark ones clunking past.

The vids should be called 'a convoy of tatty mark ones passing Dawlish', or such.

Why oh why can't folk pan the camera?  

Like loks.  Don't like coaches.  Specially not ones with Neds flailing out the windows.

• Like 2

If it were not for extensive testing, I would not have discovered which of my 40-odd Pacifics, moguls and other multi- wheeled locos would pass through a double slip and keep their feet and which wouldn't.

The same testing also revealed that Bachman coaches love splitting up, often for no reason and usuallly in tunnels, and that their 'universal' couplings are incompatible with Hornby ones!

It also proved that Hornsby teak Greeley 61footers fall off at the smallest gaps which see the same marquee 64 foot mk.1s glide through seamlessly.

Fortunately any track caused errors could still be fixed as ballast had yet to be applied

So much stock to test, so little time!

• RMweb Gold

I think you have won the most Express Dairies tankers competition for the time being. Would you like to borrow a proper engine to haul it? S15 perhaps? :tomato:  :triniti:  :sarcastichand:  :mosking: Ar$£

Thank you for the very kind offer for the loan of a mediocre SR freight locomotive but but have sufficient in my pool of superior mixed fast goods loco's to satisfy my needs,

Yours Ben Collett

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for the very kind offer for the loan of a mediocre SR freight locomotive but but have sufficient in my pool of superior mixed fast goods loco's to satisfy my needs,

Yours Ben Collett

......but do you have enough of these Mixed fast Goods loco's that are even more superior as they can go really, really fast with people in coaches too?

post-2326-0-58253600-1503477572.jpg

I have some you can borrow.............. :beee:  :yahoo:  :swoon:  :D  :blackeye:

S. Pamman

• RMweb Premium

If it were not for extensive testing, I would not have discovered which of my 40-odd Pacifics, moguls and other multi- wheeled locos would pass through a double slip and keep their feet and which wouldn't.

The same testing also revealed that Bachman coaches love splitting up, often for no reason and usuallly in tunnels, and that their 'universal' couplings are incompatible with Hornby ones!

It also proved that Hornsby teak Greeley 61footers fall off at the smallest gaps which see the same marquee 64 foot mk.1s glide through seamlessly.

Fortunately any track caused errors could still be fixed as ballast had yet to be applied

So much stock to test, so little time!

Yes, I am discovering some 'naughty trucks' that might have to be moved on unless they become disciplined  (I await ther inevitable photo.....).

Apparantly I am required to help make some Muffins (no sniggering unless you are over 45 yoa) so I shall be away some time.

Phil

I hope we're not about to embark upon a round of 'who made the best engines?' Discussions...

Especially not with so many ECML followers among the membership of this fine group

That would be like turning up to a gunfight unarmed

Here you go Smithy :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2jEM0_gkKg

Cheers Ted

Edited by The Blue Streak

Here's link to a train related (kind of) story, apparently by Spike Milligan, that I think many of you chaps (Well the SOS regulars) might find entertaining, whatever your preference in Region / Era may be.

I winced most of the way through and then burst out laughing at the end.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124063-tall-tales/?p=2829254

I'm sure the Author won't mind if I share it here.

Warning there are no pictures of scantily clad ladies, or arguments about pecoboo in the above link.

Edited by The Blue Streak

• RMweb Premium

Exactly. In order to keep motivation going on any layout construction, getting something running is a critical stage. Then trying out locos and stock helps confirm just how successful the layout has the potential to become. And the larger the layout the longer the construction time, so the more important the trial running becomes. Tedious but essential tasks need to be punctuated by reassuring running sessions.

Hi Ian 

That is why Sheffield Exchange Mk1 never got any scenery done, it just too much fun testing it again and again and again and again............

Mk2 is held by the windows to the bungalow need doing, the train room needs a lick of paint, the electrician (who is going on holiday) to do his things around the the bungalow and the carpet needs replacing with a sensible floor. Then I can order the wood for the baseboards, foam or cork, track, wire switches, point motors etc. before I can test anything. Hopefully something will be running on this in a years time. 

post-16423-0-45815900-1503497574_thumb.png

• Like 5

Exactly. In order to keep motivation going on any layout construction, getting something running is a critical stage. Then trying out locos and stock helps confirm just how successful the layout has the potential to become. And the larger the layout the longer the construction time, so the more important the trial running becomes. Tedious but essential tasks need to be punctuated by reassuring running sessions.

On Kings Moreton, I try to have at least one running session a week between Scenic jobs, and usually with some mates to help keep the motivation and enjoyment going, also they usually come up with some new ideas as well, which is always a bonus.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Today is my day off really, however I have had to do something up the Junction. I had purchased a Gaugemaster decoder from Hacky Sock (DCC Omni 21/8 pin harness) so I decided to fit the 21 to a locomotive no one has seen on here before.  It was a tender fit so not too much of an arse (see what I did there?) and eventually it worked as smooth as another baby's smooth bits. However, I then decided that as one of the bigger trains through SOSJ was the SO Summer Timetable Cleethorpes to Sidmouth and Exmouth, one way using LNER stock. So that is what I dug out of a box. It was often eleven coaches and finding eleven Gresleys and Thomsons that behaved has been amusing. I think that some ex LNER stock will be redundant quite soon! But, after a series of circuits and differing routes it wasn't too bad. I shall take a pic (not a vid) later so that Gilbert can be amused. :O

I have also discovered that certain loco's run over un juiced frogs (how cruel) without a stutter, others do not. So, I have rejuiced all the frogs and they are now very happy.

Time for Dinner.

Philth 

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 7