SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

If only..........................

Now, just before I depart, do you happen to have heard any SR steam sounds that are any use at all dear heart? I know that Mr Chetter I think it is did an A4 (arggh) some years back and that sounded really authentic, especially the whistle. If there is a Spam sound programme that good I'd go for it (just the one, or two.......)

Phil

Absolutely no idea dear Ducky. Will have to cross that bridge in the near distant future for my 7mm version. I heard the Hornby efforts and wasn't impressed. Best I heard was on the Swanage Railway in May, but they were real. Chuff chuff...

• RMweb Premium

I sympathise completely with your electrical dilemma, Herr Doktor von Quackenhausen. I think it was my earlier efforts at wiring layouts that resulted in me liking spaghetti.

Watch-ya Captain Tim

Spaghetti was last nights tea, tonight it is sausages, beans and mash, yum yum yum yummy. 

• RMweb Gold

Watch-ya Captain Tim

Spaghetti was last nights tea, tonight it is sausages, beans and mash, yum yum yum yummy.  Parp parp belch parp fart .

And that's before it's eaten.  :jester:

Earth Wind & Fire

Edited by 81C

All this talk about two wires and complexity - you should see the control panel I'm building for Waverley East - Lost the will to live and am furiously thinking about how to simplify it.

post-10395-0-78784000-1502902890_thumb.jpg

Mind you 9-up thrashing round the length of the line behind anA2 does look something - actually it looks quite small!

post-10395-0-29384500-1502903042_thumb.png

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

All this talk about two wires and complexity - you should see the control panel I'm building for Waverley East - Lost the will to live and am furiously thinking about how to simplify it.

And that is why many people with a few coins in their pocket have looked at DCC. Yes it costs, but if laid out remotely logically - as the Duck is clearly trying to do - the wiring task is simpler, if repetitive. And you then have the luxury of just driving your loco, rather than electrifying the parts of the track over which you wish to run. Big layouts simply beg for it, I think. What you have above the baseboard already looks delicious. DCC might just make operating even more enjoyable. 

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_2382 (1).jpg

Mind you 9-up thrashing round the length of the line behind anA2 does look something - actually it looks quite small!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-08-16 at 18.03.37.png

Smiffy, that wiring makes my snakes' pit look remarkably untidy.

Thanks Ian, that's very generous of you. 

Today I have mainly done not much up The Junction, but I did get to play with some Besoms in the open countryside at lunch time and did not get arrested. 

H.Potter

Phil

Smiffy, that wiring makes my snakes' pit look remarkably untidy.

Thanks Ian, that's very generous of you. 

Today I have mainly done not much up The Junction, but I did get to play with some Besoms in the open countryside at lunch time and did not get arrested. 

H.Potter

Phil

Too kind Phil!

I did think about DCC, but I have enough ugh problems with simple one train in steam operations, and with 100 odd locos to choose from the chipmcosts were just out of order

• RMweb Premium

I will use DC I can't justify the cost of DCC on a fairly small end to end layout. Which will only ever have met operating it with one loco moving at a time.

There are photos with two locos at Bodmin North... Generally an N in the yard and something else on the passenger turn. Surprised me too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have trouble keeping an eye on where one loco is let alone two.

Important point. Lots of people looking at DCC imagine that because their chosen system can support dozens of locos at once, and boosters will give them the oomph, that complicated multiple operations will somehow just 'happen'. Rubbish. Each of us has but one brain, and can effectively control one loco at any one time. Automation may well enable more than one train to be 'controlled', and DCC offers interfaces for that to be applied, but that is an additional level of expense and sophistication. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I only need two Controllers (that I already have) to operate the Up and Down. When there is a hubub at the Junction (e.g. Waterloo down arrives and drops off or shunts Seaton coaches ready for Branch; Branch train stands by or second loco awaits for the Branch, e.g. U1). There could be 4 loco's around the Station area or even more if we have the afternoon Double Headers to Exeter*. However, if I am playing alone than it will be one train at a time (unlike if it was an exhibition layout). I will probably have several plug in 'ports' though; can't justify the Radio type and it may not work in the loft due to the foil covered insulation?

*Reminds me that I must try to have the same make of Decoder in all my S15s (so it is easier to Consist).

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Your last line Phil, I would heartily recommend that you do, consists ( yuk ) ......Doubleheading ( yarp ) will be much easier as I found out several years ago after spending ages trying to match different makes.

Chip Messer

Phil, I run 'one engine in steam' the old fashioned way with a transformer/controller which runs two circuits, Up line to the left, Down to the right. There is invariably another train either in the station or in the goods yard plus the odd light engine waiting to perform.  Several permutations can be run but invariably most time there is an UP passenger and a Down good running in the opposite direction as I like to sit and watch the trains go round.  Operations are not my line! :rolleyes:

Brian

Edited by brianusa

• RMweb Premium

Important point. Lots of people looking at DCC imagine that because their chosen system can support dozens of locos at once, and boosters will give them the oomph, that complicated multiple operations will somehow just 'happen'. Rubbish. Each of us has but one brain, and can effectively control one loco at any one time. Automation may well enable more than one train to be 'controlled', and DCC offers interfaces for that to be applied, but that is an additional level of expense and sophistication. 

Cyril Freezer made much the same point many years ago, long before the advent of DCC. He said that you can run as many trains as you like but you can only control one at a time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I only need two Controllers (that I already have) to operate the Up and Down. When there is a hubub at the Junction (e.g. Waterloo down arrives and drops off or shunts Seaton coaches ready for Branch; Branch train stands by or second loco awaits for the Branch, e.g. U1). There could be 4 loco's around the Station area or even more if we have the afternoon Double Headers to Exeter*. However, if I am playing alone than it will be one train at a time (unlike if it was an exhibition layout). I will probably have several plug in 'ports' though; can't justify the Radio type and it may not work in the loft due to the foil covered insulation?

*Reminds me that I must try to have the same make of Decoder in all my S15s (so it is easier to Consist).

Phil

I would be surprised if the foil were to cause a problem with the radio Phil. However, with your layout configuration cables should be perfectly adequate anyway.

You swapped a cream bun for a J72?

Sounds like a fair deal if it was an old Mainline one.

• RMweb Premium

I'd just like to say that there are no cream buns left here now, but I do have one more operational J72 than I did this morning.

Hi All 

I am a wee bit concerned for our mate Captain K. How does one eat an operational J72? 

• RMweb Premium

I've got a J72 on my line - one of the old Baccy ones that seems incapable of getting all its wheels to go round without locking up it flexible coupling rods

Shame because it was a nice little loco - when it worked

Swap it for a cream bun?

• Like 2