SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi John

Sadly I don't. I have all the Move LPs, a couple Wizard's and the only kept the first ELO album but not Boulder's which from memory was Roy Wood's solo project.

See there was life before I became a punk.

Yes, his first solo album I think. A very, um, eclectic mix of styles.

Wizzard... "See My Baby Jive" is one of my top singles ever.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nah, that can't be right.

Just think about it  -  as well as merely playing the mellotron, Mike Pinder worked for the firm wot was building them so he had a real insight into what they could do and how to make them do it.  You could say that he was instrumental in the development of electronic keyboards.  See what I did there?  Play on words entirely intended!

John Paul Jones, on the other hand, was really little more than an up-market pirate, switching allegiance at will & as it suited him.

He may have commanded lots of ships but I don't think that any of them would have been equipped with a mellotron that he could play in his spare time.

I think we'll have to agree to differ Graham!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This year, despite being abroad for quite a while, I've squeezed in the Damned, Slim Jim Phantom, with the Pretenders to come.

The only tickets I could get for Soft Cell were £200 a pair to sit in the Gods at the O2 tent in Woolwich. - no ta!.

And I saw a 60s/New Wave covers band at the Albion in Rowhedge two weeks back - 33 RPM.  They were absolutely brilliant.  Shame not so many pubs do gigs these days.

I wish I'd seen the Clash and the Ramones............

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

This year, despite being abroad for quite a while, I've squeezed in the Damned, Slim Jim Phantom, with the Pretenders to come.

The only tickets I could get for Soft Cell were £200 a pair to sit in the Gods at the O2 tent in Woolwich. - no ta!.

And I saw a 60s/New Wave covers band at the Albion in Rowhedge two weeks back - 33 RPM.  They were absolutely brilliant.  Shame not so many pubs do gigs these days.

I did.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I did.

Well, if we're playing this game...

I saw the Sutherland Brothers & Quiver at Clifton College, Nottingham, in 1974 (I was invited backstage and got autographs for my then-girlfriend) and Supertramp at Leeds University in 1975 (including a name check for our gang on Annie Nightingale's Radio 1 show).

Oh, and Led Zeppelin at Ally Pally in 1972 and again at Earl's Court in 1975. It was all downhill from there.

So there.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, his first solo album I think. A very, um, eclectic mix of styles.

Wizzard... "See My Baby Jive" is one of my top singles ever.

I was surprised when he went on to develop such an eclectic mix of model railway stuff and then took on Comet Models when Geoff passed away.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Pretenders...Brass in Pocket....XLNT.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Well, if we're playing this game...

I saw the Sutherland Brothers & Quiver at Clifton College, Nottingham, in 1974 (I was invited backstage and got autographs for my then-girlfriend) and Supertramp at Leeds University in 1975 (including a name check for our gang on Annie Nightingale's Radio 1 show).

Oh, and Led Zeppelin at Ally Pally in 1972 and again at Earl's Court in 1975. It was all downhill from there.

So there.

You actually saw Zepplin? Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

• RMweb Premium

Fred Wedlock spent the night on the floor of our digs because he was too drunk to drive home after a gig at Swansea University.

He was great live, Studio albums, not so good, and 'Oldest Swinger In Town' not his finest hour. We used to book him for an hour's slot at 8pm. He would eventually get on stage when the bar closed, and do a 2-3 hour set.

We stopped having Shakin' Stevens at our Fresher's Week after he broke the piano by dancing on it. This was just before 'Green Door' made him popular.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you get the chance, go and see Chas n Dave ( don't stop reading yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

They opened for Zep, played on Beatles sessions, Chas Hodges was a regular session musician for the legendary Joe Meek, so he is on more Number 1s than you can imagine (along with R Blackmore Esq) , and they had a very respected career long before Rabbit and Gertcha etc.

Their gigs are definitely a game of two halves:  they play covers and all of their "influenced by" stuff first, and half of the audience look bemused, then there's a beer break, half the audience leaves, and the second half is all "Gertcha and Rabbit".

I'm not in the same league as some on here, 

but I've seen The Rolling Stones @ Knebworth,

'supported' by Lynard Skynard, 10cc, Todd Rundgren

and Hot Tuna. Also saw them at Wembley Stadium

(original!) in the eighties.

Dire Straits at The London Arena, supported by Was

not Was, and Wilko Johnson at Guildfod Uni.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Stones twice,

ZZ Top,

AC/DC,

Blondie a few times,

Quo in their prime,

Stray Cats dozens of times,

The original Buzzcocks,

Madness in their early days,

and shamefully (although it was a great night)  

Gary Glitter supported by the Village People............

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And shameful "I wish I hadn't come"  performances from:

Tina Turner

Dire Straits

and Blondie in their latter days. - Chris and Clem have still got it, but DH's voice is past its best.

• RMweb Premium

A few that I can remember some great and definitely one that was sh1te, I will start with him Eric Clapton, he was on another planet, he played for about 20 minutes and some one at the back shouted out "your f@#$ing a@#e, mate". He played two more songs and left. Argent, Focus, John Miles, AC-DC, Iron Maiden, the Eagles, Whitesnake, Deep Purple, The Who, 10cc, Wilco Johnson, Camel, Pink Floyd, Jean Michel Jarre, Ultravox, Saxon, the final night of Black Sabbath, to name but a few, oh Thin Lizzy, some of which I have seen two or three times and so the list would go on, if I could remember them. I really regret not seeing the Zep.

• Like 1

Fred Wedlock spent the night on the floor of our digs because he was too drunk to drive home after a gig at Swansea University.

He was great live, Studio albums, not so good, and 'Oldest Swinger In Town' not his finest hour. We used to book him for an hour's slot at 8pm. He would eventually get on stage when the bar closed, and do a 2-3 hour set.

It fell to me to MC Fred's first appearance in Bedford.  Oh boy.  Taking the p!ss wasn't the half of it.  At a subsequent encounter I got him to sign some of his LPs.   On one he wrote "Oh no, not that bloody Chris again".  67 was too young to die.

Chris

• Like 1