SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

I recently got embroiled in an online spat with Giles Coren at the Times!

HE apparent;y challenged a snowflake to write a response to one of his coulees - the usual lightweight Saturday morning stuff Giley likes to write to amuse us poor folk with little better to do, and the problem, as any fule kno', is that if you try to parody comedy you end up with something a bit flat.

My feedback  was "Do you really get paid to produce such drivel?", and almost immediately Giles hoisted himself astride his white charger and berated me for being so unkind to a nascent journalist in the basis that she was just 23, not to mention female and not of originally UK descent.

Interestingly, while many of the other readers were supportive of my points that at 23 many of us were in our first junior managerial role, and that criticism is part of the process of learning. He however was having none of it, and some of his responses  became quite personal.

As my father once pointed out to me - "the problem with peeing up the wall competitions is that someone is sure to over estimate their prowess and everyone ends up with wet shoes."

I am debating even now whether to suspend my subscription renewal to The Thunderer!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So what's next?  Another thread on track, or shall we talk about Lady Miss Doctor Who?

My, folk are getting vexatious lately.

As my old dad used to say, 'some things don't matter very much and most things don't matter at all'.  

He also used to say, 'some people are stupid, some people are lazy.  Most people are lazy and stupid'.

He was a Royal Marine for 20 years, and a cop for 25 so I think he had a measure of people across a spectrum of society.

I actually enjoy reading backwards through locked threads to see what started the kerfuffle.  Or who fired the smocking gun.  Or should that be covfefe?

Thank heavens for freds like this one, where everyone is sensible all the time and no-one gets narky.  And now, here's a lady for Christmas.

attachicon.gifits christmas.jpg

Merry Christmas to all my bros and fam on RMWeb

:jester:

She appears to be carrying her sacks at the front, rather than over her shoulder.

At$£

• RMweb Premium

I've noticed that many of my posts end up at the bottom of a page.  It can't be happenstance... 

I sense a conspiracy.

I am sure some German philosopher would be able to say why some people end up at the bottom of the page, you appeared not to have read that book, yet. :read:

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I see Andy Y has locked the Hattons thread. Some idiot trying to be headmaster with me, and as so often not responding to what I actually wrote, but what he thought I wrote. You learn who to avoid.

So now I’ve had a lengthy PM, explaining his hypothesis of the situtation in detail. Sigh.

Anyway, about to board a train, with intent to then board a cruise-ship for a few days. A new and daunting experience.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How the he## did that happen? I have lost the will to continue smiling ​ being sensible.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=i%27m+still+standing&form=EDGTCT&qs=OS&cvid=091ef65e5e664cd4afb85170cf8f4307&refig=c0679842b28a4560ecf4faffb5fef105&cc=GB&setlang=en-US&PC=LCTS

Yea, yea, yea and that's not The Beatles that's me remembering Elton at Wemberlee in 1985 who was superbio as was Queen; the latters'  slot being one of the greatest performances of any band I have seen live anywhere ever. It is nothing to do with polly'stics in any way at all.

So now that that little dig polite response is finished, I shall build up steam (see what I almost did there?) to ascend the mighty Incline into the Junction and give that bliddy double slip a damn good thrashing. If it refuses to cooperate it will be exterminated. One thing I have learned and that is to mark point holes and point motors so I know where they should be replaced if they dangle unexpectedly (think it might be the cold weather?)

At$£

• RMweb Premium

I recently got embroiled in an online spat with Giles Coren at the Times!

HE apparent;y challenged a snowflake to write a response to one of his coulees - the usual lightweight Saturday morning stuff Giley likes to write to amuse us poor folk with little better to do, and the problem, as any fule kno', is that if you try to parody comedy you end up with something a bit flat.

My feedback  was "Do you really get paid to produce such drivel?", and almost immediately Giles hoisted himself astride his white charger and berated me for being so unkind to a nascent journalist in the basis that she was just 23, not to mention female and not of originally UK descent.

Interestingly, while many of the other readers were supportive of my points that at 23 many of us were in our first junior managerial role, and that criticism is part of the process of learning. He however was having none of it, and some of his responses  became quite personal.

As my father once pointed out to me - "the problem with peeing up the wall competitions is that someone is sure to over estimate their prowess and everyone ends up with wet shoes."

I am debating even now whether to suspend my subscription renewal to The Thunderer!

Hi Smiffy

When I was 23 I noticed that all newspapers only report things that their readership wanted to read. Pity the Daily Sport is no longer published. :nono: :nono:

• RMweb Premium

I am sure some German philosopher would be able to say why some people end up at the bottom of the page, you appeared not to have read that book, yet. :read:

If the dear boy Fritters was he would be starting at the Insex ​ Index, so give him time.

Harry Verse

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So now I’ve had a lengthy PM, explaining his hypothesis of the situtation in detail. Sigh.

Anyway, about to board a train, with intent to then board a cruise-ship for a few days. A new and daunting experience.

Ummmmm. I do hope it isn't a saga thingy?

Please tell us you do not intend to live on one of those things during the winter so as to save heating bills? ( I could do with my Bill being heated.....)

Duck

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi 'Duds

So, don't keep us in suspenders what is his hypothesis.......is it thin at one end , fat in the middle and thin at the other end. :dontknow: :dontknow:

• RMweb Gold

Hi 'Duds

So, don't keep us in suspenders what is his hypothesis.......is it thin at one end , fat in the middle and thin at the other end. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Clive I just know you look lovely in suspenders. His idea, which may well be right, concerns competing manufacturing, and some sort of market shakeout. Frankly, my dear.....

My HST has just had a bath as we pass Dawlish - a wave really did wash the windows, and we’re on the up line! The XC Voyagers aren’t coming further west than Exeter.

Clive I just know you look lovely in suspenders. His idea, which may well be right, concerns competing manufacturing, and some sort of market shakeout. Frankly, my dear.....

My HST has just had a bath as we pass Dawlish - a wave really did wash the windows, and we’re on the up line! The XC Voyagers aren’t coming further west than Exeter.

Hey Dudders, a word of advice for the cruise if I may.

Whatever you do when you sit down for a meal don't start talking about any medical problems with your fellow diners.

It'll either put you off the food or make you want to jump overboard, don't ask how I know !

The one and only cruise I did, albeit most enjoyable, was spent avoiding the lumbago etc etc stories from the older fellow passengers!

Enjoy !

G

• RMweb Gold

You must have only just gone past Brent. I'd have waved if I'd known/seen this soon enough.

As it is, I'm about to investigate why BT want to charge me £35 to ring my sister in Germany for 40 mins of a weekday evening, after 8pm.

Barstewards.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium

Whatever you do when you sit down for a meal don't start talking about any medical problems with your fellow diners.

It'll either put you off the food or make you want to jump overboard, don't ask how I know !

The one and only cruise I did, albeit most enjoyable, was spent avoiding the lumbago etc etc stories from the older fellow passengers!

Enjoy !

G

Hi Grahame

We don't need to go on a cruise to hear stories of medical adventures......Mr Duck keeps us amused.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Enjoy !

G

Sound advice, Grahame! Sherry has substantial cruising experience from her previous marriage, and well knows I would relish dining on a table for two, anyway. I bet I don’t get away with that! But we can counter with new hips, a TURP, arthritis, asthma..........

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ian

I just love people who know how to reshape the model railway manufacturing industry. They don't need any help they are quite capable in messing it up all by themselves.

I am sure my granddad would have written to that nice Dr Beeching about how lovely Oakhampton is in winter and how that should be the line to Plymouth.....he never did like Newton Abbot.

• Like 1

Sound advice, Grahame! Sherry has substantial cruising experience from her previous marriage, and well knows I would relish dining on a table for two, anyway. I bet I don’t get away with that! But we can counter with new hips, a TURP, arthritis, asthma..........

The current Mrs. Smith's family all love going on cruises.

However to e it sounds like Butlitz on sea and Hell will freeze over before you get me on one. Fortunately she knows my propensity to increase my girth so doesn't want to take the risk of me coming back even more like B Bunter than when we departed!

• RMweb Gold

You must have only just gone past Brent. I'd have waved if I'd known/seen this soon enough.

Well, I did actually pop up to the tallest look-out of Kernow Towers, from which we can see the main line as it approaches Aish Crossovers, some half a mile distant across the valley. There did appear to be a couple of PW blokes in the vicinity, but no sign of your HST, so I presume it's already passed.

Best of luck with your voyage. Be grateful, perhaps, that you aren't travelling in a train with a similar name.

Oh yes, just realised, they've thrown in the towel. The wind is quite light but is in the East, so they don't want to get their towels wet.

• RMweb Gold

At 11 st 5 lbs this morning, and somewhere towards 5’11”, I am as heavy as I ever have been. But we don’t do puddings, so I should escape the weight penalty. I am getting all sorts of brownie points for volunteering to go - any number of Sherry’s friends are jealous that she has such a man! Her ex loved cruising and still does so with his new lady. They both look like puddings!

• RMweb Gold

Hemorroid's is a good one, it shut gas bags down in a nano second.  :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At 11 st 5 lbs this morning, and somewhere towards 5’11”, I am as heavy as I ever have been. But we don’t do puddings, so I should escape the weight penalty. I am getting all sorts of brownie points for volunteering to go - any number of Sherry’s friends are jealous that she has such a man! Her ex loved cruising and still does so with his new lady. They both look like puddings!

Hope they're not on the same ship...