SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

You might like this:

No 36E, but stirring stuff @ 34F & elsewhere.

That odd looking buffet car at the back was making some odd wheezy chuffing put-putting sort of  noises.............

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of my train spotting days, lovely.

Brian

Moi aussi, except my 'spots at speed' were Kings, Castles and Halls plus the odd County and Grange, thundering past Laira circa 1960/61. Never saw a Bulleid Pacific at full tilt until 1965/1966 (Pokesdown) as most of my spotting was at or near stations where nothing flew through at top speed, or sheds.

Th A4 chime is just so haunting in my opinion.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That odd looking buffet car at the back was making some odd wheezy chuffing put-putting sort of  noises.............

That 33 was doing lots of work on getaways and when acceleration was needed to get the train out of the path of the plastic stuff. Strangely it wasn't bothering behind the A4 at 36E  going south before Gamston IIRC. The driver on that turn also knows how to stir the blood with the whistle and if it was who I think it was it is his favourite loco.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I can see the pods idea working well. Adding slim shelves (10mmx10mm balsa) to each side of the formers, for the pod base to sit on, and having two pods per section - one on the baseboard and one half way up. You shouldn't need one over the tracks if the trees on the upper pod are high enough.

If the pods are just placed on the shelves, they could be lifted out to allow access to the tracks.

The lateral join between the pods (that aligned with the tracks) could be hidden by some bushes heavy undergrowth on the baseboard pod, and the perpendicular (to the tracks) join could be hidden with the higher tops of the trees forming a canopy of leaves. 

If you used the thick (pink) polystyrene insulation foam, as the pod base, they should be self supporting between the formers and easily sculpted to the correct profile.

That's the thinking Stu. I have used a small version of that pod idea before on my EM layout and it would work, but strangely I never had to activate the system (must have been my super caring operational control but maybe it was because it was never a train of any substance and certainly not moving at more than a few MPH!)

Your last comment though is clever and I hadn't actually considered doing that.

I shall try to access some pics to show how the actual cutting looked (near the tunnel). Folk may then be able to visualise what I'm about.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 3

If the pods are just placed on the shelves, they could be lifted out to allow access to the tracks.

Yes, that was the idea. Seemed a bit simpler than hinged lids which was the original suggestion.

Looking good, ducky - keep going :girldevil:

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

These are better shots.

In the first you can see that the cutting and around the Tunnel portal is quite angular and 'engineered'. 

post-2326-0-18784300-1545134469_thumb.jpg

The second shows obvious engineering but more sort of natural cutting slope to the required slope angle.

post-2326-0-17553900-1545134528_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Will be interesting to see how you replicate the grey & purple vegetation.

It's the Telegraph Wires crossing from the up side to the down side that I have just noticed...…………………... :scared:

However, in the later colour pics (circa 1964) they appear to be just on the down side? I reckon that they moved the poles as that up side of the cutting hereabouts was always having land slips.

Unless of course that B & W shot is an up train coming down the bank towards SJ but I really don't recognise that view.

A.G. Bell

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Gold

Most of my spotting was done at Ruddington, only high speed trains were the 9Fs, not appreciated at the time. My highlight was the the Saturday Bournemouth-York worked by a Hall. Sometimes caught the train to Newark or Grantham, on reflection I wish that I had done it more often.

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Most of my spotting was done at Ruddington, only high speed trains were the 9Fs, not appreciated at the time. My highlight was the the Saturday Bournemouth-York worked by a Hall. Sometimes caught the train to Newark or Grantham, on reflection I wish that I had done it more often.

Brian

If you were like me Brian it was cost of getting to places such as Exeter Central or maybe Bristol. No PT jobs when I was 11/12/13 and by the time I had those it were too late (1963/4) in the far western region and steam then was to far away up north and down Dorset, although I did manage London in 1964 (Euston and Clapham Junction and some Paddington steam still.)

happy days indeed but I do miss them in many ways but not in others; there were no real good old days after the war down Devon.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow!!! I go away to Brighton, for the weekend, too see Jeff Wayne doing the War of the Worlds and I come back to find his Duckyness has been up the Junction and making progress on Honiton Bank, wonderful stuff!

For those of you who like War of the Worlds, it's well worth seeing live, but don't get seats near the front as you will miss some of the action as it will be behind and sometimes above you.

H.G. Wells

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you were like me Brian it was cost of getting to places such as Exeter Central or maybe Bristol. No PT jobs when I was 11/12/13 and by the time I had those it were too late (1963/4) in the far western region and steam then was to far away up north and down Dorset, although I did manage London in 1964 (Euston and Clapham Junction and some Paddington steam still.)

happy days indeed but I do miss them in many ways but not in others; there were no real good old days after the war down Devon.

Phil

Era was everything in trainspotting, and still is, no doubt. But no good days post-war in Devon? We all saw something! Being Surrey born, in 1960/1 getting to London was feasible from time to time in the steam era, so doing a tour of the termini, plus trips out to OOC/Willesden to scoot round the sheds meant quite a lot of steam underlined in the ABC. And there was steam in the field across the road in Betchworth until 1965. Add in family holidays in North Cornwall, and even Laira and Friary sheds were visited. Copping 34091 Weymouth on some sort of residual ACE leaving St David’s. The Beattie tanks at Wadebridge, or a Grange setting off light engine up the line from Par, having just come off shed at St Blazey. And a few years later, being in a railway training skool right by Waterloo throat, as the last mainline steam strutted it’s Bulleid slipping stuff. Probably boring stuff to the banger blue brigade - but all part of the excitement of being an independent early-teen.
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Era was everything in trainspotting, and still is, no doubt. But no good days post-war in Devon? We all saw something! Being Surrey born, in 1960/1 getting to London was feasible from time to time in the steam era, so doing a tour of the termini, plus trips out to OOC/Willesden to scoot round the sheds meant quite a lot of steam underlined in the ABC. And there was steam in the field across the road in Betchworth until 1965. Add in family holidays in North Cornwall, and even Laira and Friary sheds were visited. Copping 34091 Weymouth on some sort of residual ACE leaving St David’s. The Beattie tanks at Wadebridge, or a Grange setting off light engine up the line from Par, having just come off shed at St Blazey. And a few years later, being in a railway training skool right by Waterloo throat, as the last mainline steam strutted it’s Bulleid slipping stuff. Probably boring stuff to the banger blue brigade - but all part of the excitement of being an independent early-teen.

Nah I meant no good days life wise really in Devon post war as the recovery was slow until the mid 60s, both in rebuilding around Plymouth and jobs. The Uni at Exeter helped that place drag itself up the ladder well before Plymouth had Centres of further Education, the Dockyard being the major employer apart from light Industries on the eastern outskirts. It was also a large depository for Marines and service personnel who were transient. Plymouth is now in decline once again I am told. Siberian Snooper will no doubt tell me I'm talking out of my ar$e.

Spotting was fine until 1964 but then west of Exeter and even Bristol became boring. Dorset became the best place for steam.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Nah I meant no good days life wise really in Devon post war as the recovery was slow until the mid 60s, both in rebuilding around Plymouth and jobs. The Uni at Exeter helped that place drag itself up the ladder well before Plymouth had Centre of further Education, the Dockyard being the major employer apart from light Industries on the eastern outskirts.

Spotting was fine until 1964 but then west of Exeter and even Bristol became boring.

Phil

Phil

Yo Mr Duck

How can spotting Warships, Westerns and Hymeks be boring. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: And don't forget those lovey Cross Country DMUs. :nono:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't get down Phil - maybe this will chear you up

Stumbled across it just now and thought of you. Mind you I still

haven't a clue whether any of those tenders have secret compartments!

Thanks. That warmed me up.I used to do some days helping out at the Watercress (Mid Hants) on their big gala days. The Bluebell was my local railway and the Mid Hants was an hour and a half away, so KIngscote used to get my labour on Saturdays in the summer season, when it was the northern terminus.

P

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Great news. I have just heard from a fine fellow webber that there is a proper job DJH 4500gallon U Tender (part of KIt) available for swap with the smaller tender that came with my existing Ebay U Kit purchase.

Classic.

Phil. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Great news. I have just heard from a fine fellow webber that there is a proper job DJH 4500gallon U Tender (part of KIt) available for swap with the smaller tender that came with my existing Ebay U Kit purchase.

Classic.

Phil. 

So It looks like I have a SR snowplough to make. :dontknow:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If that's OK, but I'm happy to reimburse you as you were so kind as to get it?

P

Hi Phil

Don't be daft, with my collection of Ex LNER tenders being used as snow ploughs the addition of a SR one would be good. And it will be something else to model. 

I am glad to hear you have the right tender for the loco you are building.....even if looks like all the other SR locos with them silly smoke reflectors.

• RMweb Premium

Nah I meant no good days life wise really in Devon post war as the recovery was slow until the mid 60s, both in rebuilding around Plymouth and jobs. The Uni at Exeter helped that place drag itself up the ladder well before Plymouth had Centres of further Education, the Dockyard being the major employer apart from light Industries on the eastern outskirts. It was also a large depository for Marines and service personnel who were transient. Plymouth is now in decline once again I am told. Siberian Snooper will no doubt tell me I'm talking out of my ar$e.

Spotting was fine until 1964 but then west of Exeter and even Bristol became boring. Dorset became the best place for steam.

Phil

I don't think Plymouth has ever really recovered from the run down of the armed forces in the late 80s and early 90s. There has been the odd small recovery, but there has never been a sustained recovery. Another decline in skilled engineering jobs looms in the New Year, with Bardens closing down. Currently I think Princess Yachts is on the up, but they tend to be a bit of a rollercoaster.

• RMweb Premium

A little gem of further good/interesting news for me! Whilst looking at goods workings at/through SJ, in my collection of books, I came across a working I have not noticed before.  Seemingly there were Car Carriers (probably GUVs) added to the Sundays 09.00 Waterloo/Exeter in the peak summer season*, depending on demand, when the SO Surbiton Car carrier was running (*may have been at other times but I can not verify that as yet). There was a return working but I've forgotten when that was! Little used facility is suggested! Then there were paths available for an extra Car Carrier dedicated train from Surbiton to Okehampton on summer peak Fridays depending upon demand (and that was little by all accounts!) One train was recorded in the stuff I was reading. I also discovered that in the first year of the Surbiton Okehampton Car Carrier service (1960 I am sure it was), there was not a dining vehicle in the passenger accommodation. That Buffet was introduced the next year and ran until the service finished in late September 1964. There you go, hidden gems of info I had never noticed before.

I also established a new insight into what goods was working and when at/through SJ from this particular bit of 'research'. Weekdays quite a lot and mostly overnight. Summer Saturdays there was hardly any at all. There was some good info about loco use on these trains as well and that was useful.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2