SOS Junction. If anything happens would someone wake me up please..

Mallard60022

A little gem of further good/interesting news for me! Whilst looking at goods workings at/through SJ, in my collection of books, I came across a working I have not noticed before.  Seemingly there were Car Carriers (probably GUVs) added to the Sundays 09.00 Waterloo/Exeter in the peak summer season, depending on demand, when the Surbiton Car carrier was running (may have been at other times but I can not verify that as yet). There was a return working but I've forgotten when that was! Little used facility is suggested! Then there were paths available for an extra Car Carrier dedicated train from Surbiton to Okehampton on summer peak Fridays depending upon demand (and that was little by all accounts!) One train was recorded in the stuff I was reading. I also discovered that in the first year of the Surbiton Okehampton Car Carrier service (1960 I am sure it was), there was not a dining vehicle in the passenger accommodation. That Buffet was introduced the next year and ran until the service finished in late September 1964. There you go, hidden gems of info I had never noticed before.

I also established a new insight into what goods was working and when at/through SJ from this particular bit of 'research'. Weekdays quite a lot and mostly overnight. Summer Saturdays there was hardly any at all. There was some good info about loco use on these trains as well and that was useful.

Phil

Well, what a faf !

No need to put your charabanc on a train and have it hauled all the way down here when there's more than adequate transport waiting to whisk you away to the luveerly Devun countryside !

post-20303-0-28560400-1545237703_thumb.jpg

Yours

Blakie ( I'll get you  :jester: )

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. Today is a day full of steamy surprises. One this morning and one at tea time; almost as good as when I were a Student. 

Yesterday evening I took a short, return trip to Leeds from 35E and it was most enjoyable; no drunks that I was aware of and quite quiet. Leeds is a bright station in parts but rather gloomy and 'car parky' in others. I missed a 66 on freight as I was sat on the return working before it departed (20.45 to the X). Doh!

It is quite interesting travelling between 19.29 and 21.31 as I would never normally do this, but all was excellent and the range of passengers (not customers) was fascinating. No good for spotting though, but OK for collecting the new (to me) 12 String Git Fiddle without even having to leave Platform 8B at Leeds! Cost less than a smallish 4mm RTR Loco as well despite being a very good machine and rather expensive new.

I was also informed that the LNER Azuma launch will be in February ABW and then the intro of those units will be on the Kings Cross, Leeds & Hull services initially with 5 units per month being introduced from March onwards (until all in service presumably?)

Off to prepare for steam action.

ATB

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning. Today is a day full of steamy surprises. One this morning and one at tea time; almost as good as when I were a Student. 

Yesterday evening I took a short, return trip to Leeds from 35E and it was most enjoyable; no drunks that I was aware of and quite quiet. Leeds is a bright station in parts but rather gloomy and 'car parky' in others. I missed a 66 on freight as I was sat on the return working before it departed (20.445 to the X). Doh!

It is quite interesting travelling between 19.29 and 21.31 as I would never normally do this, but all was excellent and the range of passengers (not customers) was fascinating. No good for spotting though, but OK for collecting the new (to me) 12 String Git Fiddle without even having to leave Platform 8B at Leeds! Cost less than a smallish 4mm RTR Loco as well despite being a very good machine and rather expensive new.

I was also informed that the LNER Azuma launch will be in February ABW and then the intro of those units will be on the Kings Cross, Leeds & Hull services initially with 5 units per month being introduced from March onwards (until all in service presumably?)

Off to prepare for steam action.

ATB

P

Wot is a LNER Azuma? Is it like a LNER Bongo?

...It is quite interesting travelling between 19.29 and 21.31 as I would never normally do this, but all was excellent and the range of passengers (not customers) was fascinating. ...

Noted last Saturday en route to Leeds, a party consisting of:

2x American sailors

1x elf (looking utterly frozen)

1x chap wearing an inflatable 6-foot c**k and b**ls, with his companion overheard saying "you'll have to get that down to get on the train"

and on the return, 6 immaculately suited-and-booted chaps, one of whom treated the coach to a fine rendition of some song or other in the finest Vic Reeves pub singer style.

• RMweb Gold

Clive I think it might be those chime (factory) hooters those odd looking things have.

I'm on ear'ole good people does anyone have a old Hornby Jinty body sitting in a box in a dark corner somewhere they don't need anymore  it's for a conversion

into a M & S.W. jct Rly 0-4-4 Bayer Peacock locomotive the body needs to be intact with chimney if it's minus buffers that's OK.

Ta Muchly

• RMweb Premium

Well, what a faf !

No need to put your charabanc on a train and have it hauled all the way down here when there's more than adequate transport waiting to whisk you away to the luveerly Devun countryside !

attachicon.gif17048485127_c5c33f2653_b.jpg

Yours

Blakie ( I'll get you  :jester: )

Them's Exeter Corporation buzzes, you'lm be wanting Devun Gen'ral or The [southern/Western] Nash'nol to see the countryside.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would prefer the comfort of a Royal Blue Bristol RELH.

....all the way from Victoria. Magnificent machines.

I did think, after I'd posted, that I should have included Royal Blue and Grey Cars, but I suppose it just proves I'm really a busman and not a coachman. Subtly different, but different nonetheless.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Clive I think it might be those chime (factory) hooters those odd looking things have.

I'm on ear'ole good people does anyone have a old Hornby Jinty body sitting in a box in a dark corner somewhere they don't need anymore  it's for a conversion

into a M & S.W. jct Rly 0-4-4 Bayer Peacock locomotive the body needs to be intact with chimney if it's minus buffers that's OK.

Ta Muchly

yes

• RMweb Premium

....all the way from Victoria. Magnificent machines.

I did think, after I'd posted, that I should have included Royal Blue and Grey Cars, but I suppose it just proves I'm really a busman and not a coachman. Subtly different, but different nonetheless.

Royal Blue on Devon Lundin turns used to stop at Yeovil Town for a comfort break IIRC?

P

Bingo!!! 

Now that is an idea Model Railway Bingo.

Not sure how it would work but sounds great.

Aha... Layout cliche bingo might work, a bit like buzzword bingo in the office, blue sky thinking outside the box, bus on bridge etc.

There was a thread on that a while back - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27939-cliches-on-layouts/page-1

Just needs someone to go through that thread, list out the cliches, make them into a series of bingo cards, and we're in business.

• Like 2

Yo Mr Duck

How can spotting Warships, Westerns and Hymeks be boring. :scratchhead: :scratchhead: And don't forget those lovey Cross Country DMUs. :nono:

I am not familiar with those. Were they designed by Collet, Churchward , or Hawksworth?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would have shouted out loud..........................however, the pathetic Pantomime stunt really fell flat and interestingly, that is what is being talked about more at this time of 'difficulty'. The whole thing is even more disreputable (is that a word?) than the Pecoboo Bull Sh### FSFFS it's only a train set thread. I bet the Secret Santa cross House pressi tub contains some interesting items this year.  :rtfm:  :threaten:  :yahoo:  :declare:  :triniti:

The Loft is such a sanctuary so I must ascend there ASAP.

Ar$£

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

Thanks. That warmed me up.I used to do some days helping out at the Watercress (Mid Hants) on their big gala days. The Bluebell was my local railway and the Mid Hants was an hour and a half away, so KIngscote used to get my labour on Saturdays in the summer season, when it was the northern terminus.

P

I worked as an engine cleaner for a while at Bluebell. Great in the summer but the unreliability of fog and mist over Dartford bridge in the winter meant I couldn't alpways guarantee getting there for a 7 am start, so I couldn't get on the loco crew roster, plus that was the time of road works and 7 mile queues coming hm through Dartford Tunnel so I packed it in.

You may well know of Clive Groom, former Nine Elms driver, now on the Bluebell. He has published a book , "British Steam, The Final Years" which is actually his diary account of every steam turn he drove from Waterloo to Salisbury and Bournemouth from1964 to the end of steam . I really lovely book GFor steam anoraks, a warts and all account of the best and worst of footplate life, Everything from driving down to Salisbury in high wind with so much steanm blowing down over the cab he was passing through stations without even knowing they were there, to being put on the slow line through Wimbledon and nearly derailing the train at 40mph because he forgot there was 20 mph limit on the slow. Then the best: a poetic description of driving through a frost covered Hampshire in the early hours with everything lit up by moonlight, and speaking with great passion of the joy of driving a Bullied Pacific at 90mph.

I loved it and I am any Steam , especially Southern Steam fan would . Only £4 and I've read it three times.

PS, Clive's comments on the amount of beer they drank are interesting to say the least !

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 1