Chapel en le Frith (Central) more shows for 2024

Barry O

• RMweb Premium

We are getting some invites for Chapel coming through...so a bit more track laying to be done in the fiddle yard (pointwork courtesy of Mike Edge), I am going to motorise the signals before a show in October, more different wagons to build, and everyone seems to be building locomotives...and I don't just mean Fells!

Photos soon.

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Pleasant morning spent working on CelF today before the sun came round and ups the ambient temperature.

The objective of laying the UP fiddle kickback siding point work has been achieved.

post-1859-0-43267700-1530365338_thumb.jpg

In this weather it doesn't take long for evo-stik to go off!

Down kickback sidings to go

Andy

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well done! Take its glue both sides and get it in the correct place first time?

Exactly. Careful marking out of all rail ends as refitting guide and a willing assistant with another pair of hands

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now that the collection of ICI Hoppers is growing, its time to turn to how we run full trains.

Filling the entire hopper with a limestone substitute would result in a very heavy wagon. Next best thing to build a platform in the hopper and put a covering of limestone substitute.

So turning to the 3D printer and a couple of prototypes we end up with 

post-1859-0-87680500-1530466048_thumb.jpg

post-1859-0-08513900-1530466098_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the 3D print

post-1859-0-75231900-1530466147_thumb.jpg

I will add a couple more pictures when I have applied the limestone simulate

Another 15 to go

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading through this. Beautiful layout - I must have missed / forgotten it wasn’t EM at some point, so was really impressed to read it was OO. Just goes to show...

Quick question; it’s in the Peak so the prototype used limestone for ballast, but what have you used on the layout and what did you do to avoid the ballast looking too uniform?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just finished reading through this. Beautiful layout - I must have missed / forgotten it wasn’t EM at some point, so was really impressed to read it was OO. Just goes to show...

Quick question; it’s in the Peak so the prototype used limestone for ballast, but what have you used on the layout and what did you do to avoid the ballast looking too uniform?

Thanks for the lovely comments, glad you enjoyed reading through its development.

The ballast we used was from a company from Tremendous (www.treemendus-scenics.co.uk). 

The track is C&L laid on cork, so we did cut shoulders to help with the shape of the track bed. The ballast itself was laid using the time honored spoon, paintbrush and finger tamper method. The grains of ballast probably lent itself to a little variations as the grain size did vary. it was necessary to stir the pot of ballast every now and again to keep the mixture random.

Regards

Andy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the lovely comments, glad you enjoyed reading through its development.

The ballast we used was from a company from Tremendous (www.treemendus-scenics.co.uk). 

The track is C&L laid on cork, so we did cut shoulders to help with the shape of the track bed. The ballast itself was laid using the time honored spoon, paintbrush and finger tamper method. The grains of ballast probably lent itself to a little variations as the grain size did vary. it was necessary to stir the pot of ballast every now and again to keep the mixture random.

Regards

Andy

Plenty of folk in LMRS who are experts in stirring the pot...

• 5 weeks later...

A video from Warley 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRCE9czq0NM

Chapel-en-le-Frith starts at  9:27 and finishes at 13.45

Thanks to dcc125 for the video

Baz

Hi Barry, the layout is really looking good and I hope to see it one day, it might even feature lamps on the guards vans and locos by then.... TFIC

All the best,

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lamps..heavens to betsy! whatever next..working signals?? well some work is in-going on that.

Next outing is in Wales, then Chapel perhaps then Newcastle next year.. and a return to our show in Leeds next year...

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Work is progressing on CELF and we are slowly adding more and more details to the layout.

One item we are adding is a set of yard lamps that run along the back edge of the goods yard. We suspect that these lamps were installed during the mid 50's to assist in the storage and operation of the tunnel maintenance train. Dove Holes Tunnel was re-lined in this period and pictures in JM Bentley's excellent Over the Peak Pt1 show the maintenance train parked in the rear siding.

When comparing photos of the same areas over the years, the lamps don't seem to appear in shots until about the time these works were in progress.

The yard lamps are a wooden telegraph type pole with a round lighting cowl mounted on a bracket arm, the light projection being straight down. Having looked at what may be available ready made, I could't find anything suitable. So I set about building them from scratch. Below is an insight to how they have been manufactured

First thing to do was to turn the cowls out of 8mm brass bar on the lathe. The hole is 3mm for accepting a 3mm white LED
post-1859-0-99205600-1535056664_thumb.jpg post-1859-0-33208700-1535056718_thumb.jpg

After cutting the brass tube that will act as the pole, to length, I soldered a little collar at the base of the post to act as a stop when its planted on the layout. A hole was drilled in the tube side wall for the insulated connection wire to the LED.
post-1859-0-04412700-1535056825_thumb.jpg

A chisel point was filed on the top of the post and weather shield soldered to the top of the post
post-1859-0-98800800-1535057048_thumb.jpg

The LED was prepared for attachment to the post by bending the legs and trimming them to length. A length of enamelled copper wire was soldered to top leg of the LED
post-1859-0-95383400-1535057135_thumb.jpg

This wire was then threaded through the hole and out of the bottom of the post.
post-1859-0-29949900-1535057277_thumb.jpg

The other leg of the LED is soldered to the post to represent the bracket secured to the post
post-1859-0-12241100-1535057380_thumb.jpg

The cowl is then superglued to the LED (after a quick test) and a couple of small lengths of 1mm wire added to represent the insulators for the power cable connections to the adjacent columns
post-1859-0-71511000-1535057558_thumb.jpg

The basic yard lamp is now complete and just requires painting
post-1859-0-40531600-1535057816_thumb.jpg

Other variation to the basic yard lamp include one lamp with a control box fixed to the column and a lamps with a guy wire to keep the end pole upright. Pictures to follow once painted and installed

Andy

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

For those of you of a nervous disposition when it comes to layout wiring, look away now!

post-1859-0-26133200-1535359410_thumb.jpg

This weekend has seen the fitting of point motors, micro switches, section wiring and route indicator switching associated with the recent kick back siding installation.

post-1859-0-00046900-1535359445_thumb.jpg

The up side is complete and working, the down side is complete except for the final connections to the section switches, point studs and route LEDs. The wiring to the panels is complete to the panel as there was sufficient spars ways in the existing trunk cables

I will finish off the final panel connections on Wednesday

Andy

Edited by innocentman
  • Like 4

For those of you of a nervous disposition when it comes to layout wiring, look away now!

attachicon.gifIMG_0860.JPG

This weekend has seen the fitting of point motors, micro switches, section wiring and route indicator switching associated with the recent kick back siding installation.

attachicon.gifIMG_0858.JPG

The up side is complete and working, the down side is complete except for the final connections to the section switches, point studs and route LEDs. The wiring to the panels is complete to the panel as there was sufficient spars ways in the existing trunk cables

I will finish off the final panel connections on Wednesday

Andy

The 27th wire in the middle looks like a dry joint from here :jester: !

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

All this added storage track means...more stock.

Both ICI hopper trains will be 16 wagons long shortly, a tunnel inspection set is under way and some more interesting trains (and locos) are being prepared.

Work is continuing in making the signals operate...

Baz

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Most of the ICI hoppers we have bought for use on Chapel were pristine (ie clean) ones.

We have now started to weather these up.

post-7650-0-91323400-1539179239_thumb.jpg

Nicktoix had bought 4 of these in an early livery.

These are now weathered

post-7650-0-70943900-1539179275_thumb.jpg

and I have completed the next 12 I bought.

I will take some shots of the 12 at the club tonight on the layout.

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pictures from tonight...we had a 12 wagon set and a 16 wagon set.

First Innocentman's 8F and 16 wagons

just about to be passed by a CoBo

post-7650-0-12423000-1539205939_thumb.jpg

and a view of the CoBo and 12 hoppers

post-7650-0-46491200-1539206016_thumb.jpg

Some of the very heavily weathered Hattons wagons are in the 16 rake. General opinion...far too brown!

when I can transfer it I have a very short video..just working out how it works!

Baz

• Like 6

A couple of pictures from tonight...we had a 12 wagon set and a 16 wagon set.

First Innocentman's 8F and 16 wagons

just about to be passed by a CoBo

attachicon.gif20181010_193442_resized.jpg

and a view of the CoBo and 12 hoppers

attachicon.gif20181010_193307_resized.jpg

Some of the very heavily weathered Hattons wagons are in the 16 rake. General opinion...far too brown!

when I can transfer it I have a very short video..just working out how it works!

Baz

Brilliant!!!!!

C.