New train sets and Gift Packs

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if The Shakespeare Express train pack loco will have a headboard on it? Can't tell from the catalogue and it doesn't mention it either. Just wondered

Edited: to correct f*#%^*g predictive text auto correction.

Edited by Hilux5972

Thanks David. A years weathering and the colour characteristics of the slide still make me think that the Shildon replication is relatively accurate and hence that of the Bachmann model.

Sorry for the late reply. The Keighley chaps found a tin of the 1970s brown stored and usable, which Williamsons replicated and then Bachmann matched it to that. Held a model up to the real thing this afternoon and it vanished. Sounds like the right colour to me.

• Like 1

According to the reviewer in the Railway Modeller, the livery on the city class in the ambulance train pack is correct. 3711 City of Birmingham was one of a handful of locos to wear the livery for a few months in 1916 before reverting back to green. Evidence can apparently be found in The Great Western Way published by HMRS. There's even a colour chip. :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some new train sets and gift packs announced on the Bachmann website

30-525 'The Shakespeare Express'

GWR Hall Class locomotive, two Pullman cars and a chocolate and cream Mk1

Stratford-Upon-Avon Tour bus

Has there been any news about this Train Pack following Bachmann's cancellation of the new Hall loco (as opposed to the Modified Hall which is still due in 2015)? There are pictures of the EFE bus to be included in the pack here http://www.efezone.co.uk/ and the Bachmann website still refers to Hall Class No.4965 'Rood Ashton Hall' Great Western green livery as being in the pack. I assumed the Hall would become a Modified Hall but it seems not as the pack is due in April/May and the information has not been updated. So will there be a new Bachmann Hall after all?

Edited by brushman47544

I've finally braved the weather today & nipped up the Worth valley to my local model ( haworth station ) to buy my railway children set. The first thing that struck me about the set was the packaging. The box is exceptionally sturdy & thicker card than the train sets. I'm very happy with my set, a piece of my local history & a really nice touch to accompany my hand signed photo of perks by Bernard Cribbins.

I have the ambulance train pack to pick up later today from the post office which I'm looking forward to seeing if the calibre is the same as this set.

Bachmann have got it spot on I think with these sets & hopefully will be something each year to release.

• RMweb Premium

I'm not minded to strongly contradict Sir Haydn's post above as he appears to be in position of knowledge, but my personal memory bank had L89 in what appeared to be a dirty ish improved engine green when I saw it at the KWVR as a teenager.  My train pack version is DS brown, and does not trigger the same memories, in fact I'm a little disappointed with it - not DCC ready either.

So, is my memory that bad?  I have aged 'a bit' since then for sure!  Is Sir Hadyn's comparison with the Shildon repaint using paint copied from the tin found at the back of Haworth shed?  Was that really the tin used to paint L89 the first time, does anyone really know that, or is it left over from Bellerophon, which to me IS the same colour as my Railway Children Pannier? Dog *&^% brown.... :nono:  well that is what it looks like to me :O

I don't suppose we'll ever know.  It is as bad as arguing about what colour the front or tops of pannier tanks were painted :angel:

Has there been any news about this Train Pack following Bachmann's cancellation of the new Hall loco (as opposed to the Modified Hall which is still due in 2015)? ... So will there be a new Bachmann Hall after all?

I assumed this train pack will use the existing Hall tooling that was in production for several years.

The new modified Hall isn't showing delivery dates on the Bachmann website.

• RMweb Premium

As I understood it the problem with the Bachmann Hall was with the Modified Hawksworth version, 4965 is a Collett Hall to the original design and I didn't think Bachmann had a problem with that model.

My understanding was that Kader had used tooling from both the original and modified Hall when manufacturing both the new Modified Hall (as well as omitting the fire iron tunnel on the late crest version) and their version of original 6922 Burton Hall (32-006) as well. Bachmann said it was retooling both versions as a result, which I assumed meant the original Hall tooling was therefore no longer usable. Perhaps it is but then why would Bachmann announce a retool for what was a relatively new tooling anyway (it came out around the same time as Hornby's Grange).

EDIT: here's Hatton's webpage for 6922, which has a description saying it was recalled Bachmann but they decided to sell it anyway with its errors http://www.ehattons.com/52568/Bachmann_Branchline_32_006_Class_4900_Hall_4_6_0_6922_Burton_Hall_in_BR_lined_green_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

Edited by brushman47544

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well my Shakespeare Express has finally arrived. I absolutely love it. The loco is a very smooth runner straight from the box. The lights in the Pullmans are a little on the dull side compared to Hornbys. But their interior is a bit better having coloured seats. Anyway here's a few pics and the last one shows what comes in the detail pack. Plenty of extras to fit.

post-7482-0-85569300-1444223394_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-73635100-1444223408_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-06307000-1444223475_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yeah it's a great set. The bus is very cool. Only problem is they still insist on riveting the bus together. So the top can be full of passengers and the bottom will be empty. I don't see why they can't have screws to hold it together. Apart from that it's a fantastic Pack.

• RMweb Premium

Here's some pictures of the Bus. I'm looking forward to the Midland Pullman now. After actually seeing this one in the flesh, I have high hopes for the Pullman pack.

post-7482-0-66694400-1444236683_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-75496400-1444236694_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-62235800-1444236703.jpeg

post-7482-0-41307000-1444236713_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-03470000-1444236745.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yeah it's a great set. The bus is very cool. Only problem is they still insist on riveting the bus together. So the top can be full of passengers and the bottom will be empty. I don't see why they can't have screws to hold it together. Apart from that it's a fantastic Pack.

You can't appreciate Stratford and the glorious surrounding countryside from the bottom deck ....well,not really....can you? Unless it's raining of course,which it recently has been for the last 36 hours! In which case,you wouldn't be taking the trip.....Enjoy your Shakespeare Express....and when I'm next at the R.S.C. ( next month ) I shall give it a passing nod.The bus is gorgeous by the way and thanks for your images.

Edited by Ian Hargrave

The bus has got a Devonshire number plate !

Guide Friday got their buses from all over. When I was living in Windsor they had a couple which came from whatever company served Poole. They had the front ends cut away so they could get aboard the Sandbanks ferry. Their best vehicle, however, was the ex-Hastings single deck AEC Regal, fully opened up, which operated in Bourton-on-the-Water. I guess it's long gone now.

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if these busses are different lengths but the models certainly are. The open top bus seems to be bigger in general dimensions. Can anyone tell me if the prototypes are different? The Routemaster on the left is from Hornbys SkaleAutos range. Is it undersized?

post-7482-0-42902100-1444447850_thumb.jpeg

post-7482-0-20151200-1444447878_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Hilux5972

There have been a number of increases in maximum permitted bus lengths over the years, which have led to increasingly long buses on the roads. To take the Routemaster family as an example:

When the first prototype, RM1 was built in 1954 the maximum length was (IIRC) 27' exactly. RM1 had a blanked-off front end with no visible radiator grille. When the maqximum permitted length was extended to 27'6", RM1 was fitted with the now-familiar RM radiator grille and subsequent Routemasters followed suit.

In 1961, the maximum permitted length was extended to 30', allowing the 72 seat RMLs and RCLs to be built, distinguishable by the extra small windows half way along each side where a 2'6" section was added to the design with an extra row of seats.

By the time the first RMs were being withdrawn, the maximum permitted length had been extended again and London Transport produced 80-seat RMEs (Route Master Extended)  at 32'6" long by bolting together sections from two withdrawn standard RMs.

Since then the permitted length has continued to increase, hence modern buses (including of course the New Routemasters) being much longer than even the RMEs.