Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Gold

That selfie shows that your H&S bods have failed, they obviously gave you a defective PFD, one with a broken zip. (It does seem a little on the side of over kill having to wear one of those looking at the water levels when you were there).

My fault, Kris - I forgot to zip it up! (but I did tie it and used the clippy thing...!!)  ;)

• Like 2

I seriously hope that this isn't the only record of the outstanding work being done. There also needs to be some recognition of the achievements of everyone looking after the permanent way throughout the country.

It would be a shame if there were no further records of it in years to come.

Stay safe

Duncan

:( Those pics Debs found show how vulnerable that line has ways been......

Debs is the tall blond one - Ashcombe is the shorter brunette who posted the photos in question! No harm done.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 5

How marvellous to see such a 'can-do' approach and progress.......`.it`s very reassuring. :yes:

Especially in light of some earlier comments about our "inability" to deal with things like this. I, for one, never doubted.

CK, at the risk of repetition, I find it hard to believe how much has been achieved in such a short space of time, especially since there hasn't been much more than a slight lull in the weather. I know you're only doing your job, but incredibly well done to all of you and thanks very much for the pictures... they give valuable insider insight that I wouldn't normally expect to see. Thanks again.

Edited by Pete_S

The BBC have a time lapse of the work that has happened so far at Dawlish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26180491

If you follow Kris's link (above), there's another link to the webcam that created this time-lapse footage showing the damaged stretch of track where the containers are. It appears to be on a 30 second refresh, and at 08:50 this morning, it seems to be raining again! Did it ever stop...? Direct link below:

http://www.siteeyelive.com/monitor/bbcdawlish/camputerb86.jpg

Edited by Pete_S

• RMweb Gold

BTW Cap'n are the engineers planning to sheet pile behind the wall or will it just be mass concrete in the void plus fill on top?

I think last time I checked it was concrete, Mike, but I'll get another update in due course anyway.

What is the reason behind the GRP panels please Captain?

Andi

Effective method of keeping ballast in place in moderate sea conditions, Andi - I was talking with one of the PW guys about this yesterday. We put them in over 10 years ago, and they have worked pretty well under a lot of 'lesser' bad weather conditions...

• RMweb Premium

Just a thought why have the blasted tracks at Dawlish not been replaced by slab track then no probs with ballast washing away know it does not help when underneath washed away.

I can remember BR trialling a section of slab track during the late 70's, IIRC near Derby on the main line. I think im correct in saying that the trial was not very successful for one reason or another and it was re-laid with conventional track in the 80's sometime.

Anyone know any more?