Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

In the absence of any new insider info from CK who has not been online for a couple of days, it would appear that a little off-topic good-natured banter about the resemblance of a Class 70 to a shipping container is not to be tolerated and has been the subject of a little "thread de-cluttering" by a moderator. There must have been half a dozen posts deleted since I last had a look at this thread? I see very little point adding anything else to this thread if there's a 50-50 chance it will disappear in a few hours...

Unless you make jokes about putting out the fires in them!

• RMweb Premium

I just dug this one out of the ole work phone. Sorry its not really very interesting but it'll add some colour to the page if nothing else. :)  

post-299-0-57192300-1392564180_thumb.jpg

Taken last Wednesday after the down had been tamped and we were reinstalling the GRP panels.

We were still getting dunked on by the sea even on that relatively calm afternoon but I must say, I found it rather exhilarating rather than an annoyance and ofcourse it gave those who escaped it something to laugh about!  Maybe it reminded me of the long summer hols in the late 70's when I was a care free teen on my dads boat  ;)

Im not there again until Tuesday at the earliest, not rostered tomorrow.

Hopefully CK will have another update on Monday.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I just dug this one out of the ole work phone. Sorry its not really very interesting but it'll add some colour .

The only colour appears to be Hi Viz orange.

Thanks very much to you and all those involved in trying to re-instate the Sea Wall at Dawlish. Next Saturday would be nice as I have to go and see Dave at the Exeter Model Shop then(in the absence of smilies, very much tongue in cheek).

SS

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the ratings and all the support for this project fella's!

Im just a small tooth in a very big gear wheel! :)

Ive not heard what the extent of the new damage is from Friday nights storm. Keeping everything crossed that its not to much of a set back.

In the absence of any new insider info from CK who has not been online for a couple of days, it would appear that a little off-topic good-natured banter about the resemblance of a Class 70 to a shipping container is not to be tolerated and has been the subject of a little "thread de-cluttering" by a moderator. There must have been half a dozen posts deleted since I last had a look at this thread? I see very little point adding anything else to this thread if there's a 50-50 chance it will disappear in a few hours...

I find this kind of censoring very sad. What harm is it doing to have a bit of fun and banter.?

With best regard to everyone "in charge" of this forum, a little power can go to some peoples head.

Keith.

If the Cap'n (or anyone else on the estimable rebuild team) want to keep up to date on the Atlantic Weather Chart in my post of 1083 itupdates itself daily....

The photos and progress make me choke up with admiration.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sadly rolling stock availability in the South West is such that Pacers are a key ingredient in the mix. Better a Pacer than no train, after all. As at Dawlish, things can only get better. 

At least the god-awful 142s have gone; the 143s aren't at all bad so long as you are running on cwr!

My last trip to Barnstaple was on a warm, dry day (remember them?) and from St Davids I had a 150+153 combo (Choice: swelter in the 153 or be deafened in the 150 with the windows open - pardon?).

Coming back it was a brace of 143s. They were acceptably cool and quiet with a pretty comfortable ride except over a few rough patches. I was very pleasantly surprised how much the Tarka Line has been improved.

John

This is not censorship. This is keeping the forum on track for what is a very serious topic.. I am not a moderator neither do I have any administrative capacity on this forum. But we do have at least one very senior Network Rail person keeping us informed about progress, and a load of other rail professionals offering insight in matters that are not normally made public. Not that they wouldn;t be release, but they're not generally newsworthy and only interest a speclalist minority.

Now in their professional capacity they are judged by their work and how they present themselves and their organisations.. This forum is also public, anyone can read it. If we clutter the forum with unnecessary banter we stand the risk of the postings made, especially by these professionals, to risk association with the banter, which has sometimes become overwhelming and circular in nature. It may be that the professional nature of the postings is compromised by the association.

So as the admins and mods have been running this very successful forum for many more years than I've been a member I suggest that we let them get on with it.

• Like 1

Well, we get this (Keith George's) vewpoint and we get the opposite from members who want to keep the engineering efforts clear of off-topic posts. We do what we can to strike a balance but clearly we can't please everyone.

• RMweb Gold

I think it's too early (or late, depending how you look at it ;) ) to speculate what exactly happened. And I'm sure CK will update us later in the weekend, after any damage done by this storm is repaired. Right now, he has more important matters to deal with... (knowing Tim he'll get his priorities right. We'll be at the back of the cue, where we should be :P )

Sorry, been out of the district for the weekend on urgent/difficult family business. Just in the process of catching up now. More from me in due course.

Well, we get this (Keith George's) vewpoint and we get the opposite from members who want to keep the engineering efforts clear of off-topic posts. We do what we can to strike a balance but clearly we can't please everyone.

I see your point, it must be difficult.  I did not wish to offend.

Keith.

• Like 2

Perhaps the truth is that the topic should have been split (easy to say and not to do - and yes I've changed my mind. The key here is that the topic is rather special and where that has been factual to the "Washout at Dawlish" it has been very good and of great interest to all. The trouble is that much of the content has deviated into other amusing comment and has gained a life of its own usually reserved for Wheeltappers.

I sympathise with the Mods in trying to keep it on topic yet on the other hand dislike the censorship that is taking place in an almost haphazard fashion. But it is now over 40 pages - and like most I wouldn't wish to be starting now from page 1 and wading through it all just to find the latest news.

I don't recall a topic that has gained as much attention on RMWeb - and perhaps when it has all died down a rethink on how this sort of topic could be better managed? As most know I am fervently against censorship in any form and besides I have never liked the unknown "them" and public "us" applying rules of thumb rather than the clear rules we have signed up for. Eliminating a few off topic posts for being "clutter" has never been the way. Especially when it leave other topics in the same discussion in clear disjointed sight yet uncensored.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, having had a scan through various communications, there was more serious damage on Friday night at the site of the main breach. Damage to the containers (sea action caused them to become deformed, as some have noted already) and also the newly-erected scaffolding bridge, plus more damage to the masonry wall and - as someone already noted - a little bit more track suspended. At the height of the storm, our project team was helping the Police and Local Council evacuate houses in Sea Lawn Terrace, although the houses seem to have survived OK. There was a lot more 'lesser' damage (if that's the right expression - not sure it is..) all along the wall, including much of the remedial work done in the previous days...

More containers have indeed been moved into place, plus a lot of work done over the weekend to tidy up after Friday's storm and start making progress in a forward direction again. The measures undertaken to secure the original containers in place do seem to have been effective, though.

Also, there was a very considerable amount of damage to S&T equipment between Marazion and Penzance, which has resulted in services in and out of Penzance being suspended for the duration. ECS moves to and from Long Rock at the St Erth end can now be implemented to start and terminate services from St Erth. We are going to give the S&T teams a 'clear run' by the looks of it, to get the signalling fully repaired, rather than delay it by having to stop work every so often for trains running under pilotworking conditions. It seems as if the PW in the area got by relatively unscathed, fortunately.

Edited by Captain Kernow

When people were talking about a concrete base for the track instead of ballast it got me thinking.

Dig out and make it into a trench, support the rails on beams,stanchions, crossbeams etc to hold the rails and support the sea wall, but with a mesh between the rails for people to walk on but allow the waves into the trench.

post-27-0-14394300-1392600544.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I also like to see "different" thinking but can't help wondering how the poor residents might feel - having come within less than a whisker of having their homes washed away - about having water permanently closer to their doorsteps.  The sea wall in all its solidness over many years has (until now) held back those waves and prevented the erosion we now see only too clearly.

I also like to see "different" thinking but can't help wondering how the poor residents might feel - having come within less than a whisker of having their homes washed away - about having water permanently closer to their doorsteps.  The sea wall in all its solidness over many years has (until now) held back those waves and prevented the erosion we now see only too clearly.

Yes, it must be unnerving to see the defenses you depended upon washed away. However it is finally finished they will probably never feel that secure again.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

And I am sure that whatever solution Captain Kernow's crew come up with for long-term repair will be enough to protect both the railway and Sea Lawn Terrace. I would be happy to live there. Sea view and trains - what's not to like?

• Like 3

We looked at a (first floor) flat in the Victorian terrace a decade or so ago, have to say I was glad not to live there these last couple of weeks.

(Wierdest thing was walking into the front room, and you can see nothing but sea beyond the window, as the line and sea wall is below your field of view!)

• RMweb Premium

With  the damage being extended, Once the current repairs are complete, I wonder if have will have to look at to replacing the sea wall entirely along from Dawlish Warren to the tunnel as the wall  may have further damage elsewhere But has not collapsed. or just be getting too old.

The Q

• RMweb Gold

And I am sure that whatever solution Captain Kernow's crew come up with for long-term repair will be enough to protect both the railway and Sea Lawn Terrace. I would be happy to live there. Sea view and trains - what's not to like?

I wouldn't willingly live that close to water, salt or fresh.

The nearest (small) river to me would have to rise 40 feet before it got anywhere near my front door and that's just the way I like it!

John

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking that that may have been put there by the sea?

Loads more stone have been placed on top of the ship containers now by looking at the photo on NR web site. http://www.networkrail.co.uk/timetables-and-travel/storm-damage/dawlish/

I was thinking that that may have been put there by the sea?

When I posted about this a couple of day's ago I thought that this was probably a deliberate placement. I thought this as the was no evidence of the stones on the containers earlier in the day after the worst of the waves had past. 

I guessed that they may have been placed to fill the containers more (replacing the stones that would have been washed out).