Washout at Dawlish

Just passed Dawlish heading westwards on the 10.06 from Paddington, very interesting to see the remaining repair work first hand. Dawlish town centre looked very vibrant and busy, a credit to Network Rail for getting the line open quickly to keep the fragile summer economy from slipping into the doldrums without the railway.

• Like 3

Found this on dawlish beach web cam site this morning quote from Exeter Express & Echo

Detailed below are the latest updates on the work being undertaken:

Dawlish Warren to Dawlish

• The section of walkway from Boat Cove to Coast Guard footbridge is open

• The section of walkway from Dawlish Warren to Rockstone footbridge opened on 3 June, two weeks ahead of schedule

• The majority of the overflow car park at Dawlish Warren station is now available again for public use

• Due to essential work being undertaken to raise the lower walkway between Coast Guard and Rockstone Bridge, this section will remain closed until early next year.

• The high tide diversionary route via Exeter Road will remain in place for the duration of this work.

Teignmouth to Smugglers Lane

• It is anticipated that the section of sea wall walkway between Teignmouth and Smugglers Lane will be reopened to the public on 12 August. This follows the challenging work of stabilising parts of the cliff and the extended work to repair Sprey Point ramp.

• In order to accommodate cliff stabilisation work between Teignmouth and Smugglers Lane, the walkway will be closed overnight on Saturdays. Overnight closures may also occur on some mid-week days, but only if it is essential.

Read more: http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Network-Rail-8217-s-Orange-army-continues-work/story-22085879-detail/story.html#ixzz39hTArNwd

Read more at http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Network-Rail-8217-s-Orange-army-continues-work/story-22085879-detail/story.html#eHpFFr4sYetkPDzt.99

Expect possible high winds coupled with downpours over the Weekend, guys! High tides could be extreme....

I’ve just read some of the recent comments above - Why rush repairs now?  Get it right and it will be right for decades to come - bad weather will not stop.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Gold

Expect possible high winds coupled with downpours over the Weekend, guys! High tides could be extreme....

I’ve just read some of the recent comments above - Why rush repairs now?  Get it right and it will be right for decades to come - bad weather will not stop.

Best, Pete.

According to the Met Office (and the particular way they are backing Bertha to head - at the moment) the impact around Dawlish doesn't look too bad so far with the wind remaining sou'westerly or roughly from that direction so not a problem but a sou'easterly is forecast for tomorrow morning gusting to 31mph and that, of course, is the worse wind direction at Dawlish for the impact on the seawall

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/sw/teignmouth_forecast_weather.html

The shipping forecast also looks 'not too bad'  with the wind 'west backing south or southeast, 5 to 7, decreasing 4 for a time', sea state 'slight or moderate'

The extended shipping forecast for Niton gives various options depending on which way the remnants of Bertha track but it could mean quite stong gales in the Channel  (you need to click on Niton area to get the right forecast for that area as it seems to default to Cullercoats)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/extended_outlook/extended_outlook.html

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm, I’m seeing possible winds of 50 - 60 mph overnight and parts of tomorrow. Of course the Met Office always get it right.

Best, Pete.

15 October 1987:

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!" (Michael Fish)

etc. etc!  :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

15 October 1987:

"Earlier on today, apparently, a woman rang the BBC and said she heard there was a hurricane on the way... well, if you're watching, don't worry, there isn't!" (Michael Fish)

etc. etc!  :jester:

Keith

Do you remember the Not The Nine Oclock News sketch with "An Iranian woman saying that she had heard a Tornado was on the way".

Hmmm, I’m seeing possible winds of 50 - 60 mph overnight and parts of tomorrow. Of course the Met Office always get it right.

Best, Pete.

We had heavy rain in Teignmouth during the night but so far I have not been to the seafront. The winds at present time, 11.00, dont seem too strong here. I am only about 800m from the beach

• RMweb Premium

Rain in N Worcestershire has now stopped (for the time being?) total so far 20.6mm (0.8").

Max rain rate was 44mm/h (about 1.7"/h) at 0858 max wind speed was 11.3km/h (about 7mph) at 0525

Not exactly hurricane, or even stormy!

We had two days in June and one in July which were worse, both for rainfall and wind speed and the Daily Excess didn't even trumpet those.

Keith

EDIT update at 1545:

Had a couple of short showers since and the wind has turned from NE to SW and increased to a max of 29km/h although there is plenty of blue sky and sunshine just now

Edited by melmerby

It’s over for the most part by now. It looks the Severn Estuary (area) received the highest gusts - although a walk along the Prom was not to be recommended anywhere on the South Coast.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

It’s over for the most part by now. It looks the Severn Estuary (area) received the highest gusts - although a walk along the Prom was not to be recommended anywhere on the South Coast.

Best, Pete.

NE Scotland to get a bashing next!

Keith

EDIT we got 40.3km/h max wind speed at 1743 but have had little rain since this morning.

Edited by melmerby

I've always felt that Mr Fish has been unfairly pilloried for the hurricane incident. Had the public been forewarned, what, realistically, would any of them have done, or, indeed, been able to do any differently? I contend, M'lud, that the most likely answer is "not much".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've always felt that Mr Fish has been unfairly pilloried for the hurricane incident. Had the public been forewarned, what, realistically, would any of them have done, or, indeed, been able to do any differently? I contend, M'lud, that the most likely answer is "not much".

Complacency brought about through repeated over reporting/a**e covering.

It's the same with all those temporary “CAUTION WET FLOOR” signs that never move!

Kev.

(Didn't need the sea to get wet in Manchester last night Bertha brought lots of water with her.)

Wasn't it the fact that the woman asking about the hurricane had received the weather advice from a relative in France. Suggesting that Monsieur Poisson had better knowledge than Mr Fish.

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't it the fact that the woman asking about the hurricane had received the weather advice from a relative in France. Suggesting that Monsieur Poisson had better knowledge than Mr Fish.

Sort of, I believe the woman who enquired actually lived in, I think, Holland or Belgium and rang to ask if they were going to get a hurricane.  FIsh said that they weren't - he didn't say that Britain wasn't going to get a hurricane but neither did he forecast one.

• RMweb Premium

Keith, thanks, I was only referring to the South West in this thread...

Best, Pete.

We are not too far away!! (by US standards anyway)

The River Severn flows through Worcester and by BBC areas Gloucestershire (next door) is in the Southwest! :jester:

Keith

Sort of, I believe the woman who enquired actually lived in, I think, Holland or Belgium and rang to ask if they were going to get a hurricane.  FIsh said that they weren't - he didn't say that Britain wasn't going to get a hurricane but neither did he forecast one.

My step daughter (Belgian) lives in Belgium and when she visited here last year her weather forecasts on her mobile phone were more accurate for our weather than the forecasts on my phone were.

• Like 1