Washout at Dawlish

• RMweb Premium

Quoted from 

http://www.seawork.com/news101/another-jack-up-for-red7marine2

& dated 14th July

Probably the largest vessel yet to be formally christened at SeaWork is the jackup barge 'Haven Seariser 4', delivered to Red7 Marine from the builders Ravestein. The group’s fourth purchase of this type from the Dutch builder helps to underline its position as a leading provider of self-elevating platforms to the marine civils and construction sector.

Haven Seariser 4 is a Standard RCP-250 type jackup measuring 29.3m loa by 17.10m width, with a height of 2.45m and a leg length of 36m. Its payload is 250 tonnes. Its modular construction makes it suitable to be broken down for road transportation but on this occasion it was towed from Rotterdam by MTS Victory

- See more at: http://www.seawork.com/news101/another-jack-up-for-red7marine2#sthash.8PH5XVhY.dpuf

At a rough guestimate that legs of over 116 feet

and 55  feet wide

by  94 feet long

and looks like one of its first jobs

So a model in 00 scale is quite feasible?

• RMweb Gold

I dont know if the magnificent Dawlish orange army are the same as the present day Teignmouth sea wall orange army? But this army seems to be more yellow than orange.

Tuesday I witnessed little action on the sea wall apart from sitting, drinking and talking during my walk along the beach. Today however I actually saw work being done.

In comparison to the destruction at Dawlish and the wonderful and quick work done there it seems to take the yellow army a lifetime to repair small (in comparison) areas of wall. I understand that there are probably underlying reasons that orange clad men are inactive for seemingly long periods but it looks odd to see no work being carried out so often.

If they're yellow, they ain't ours...

You can't get as much done with trains running, so you need fewer staff. There are sufficient staff on site to accomplish the jobs that need doing, and in the planned timescales. If you were able to view the cliffs near Smugglers Cove, you'd probably see lots of abseilers working away strengthening the cliffs there. Apart from the on-going preparations for the raising of the walkway at Sea Lawn Terrace, this is the main worksite. Work has also been underway at the Sprey Point ramp.

• RMweb Premium
lightengine, on 17 Jul 2014 - 17:09, said:lightengine, on 17 Jul 2014 - 17:09, said:lightengine, on 17 Jul 2014 - 17:09, said:

I dont know if the magnificent Dawlish orange army are the same as the present day Teignmouth sea wall orange army? But this army seems to be more yellow than orange.

Tuesday I witnessed little action on the sea wall apart from sitting, drinking and talking during my walk along the beach. Today however I actually saw work being done.

In comparison to the destruction at Dawlish and the wonderful and quick work done there it seems to take the yellow army a lifetime to repair small (in comparison) areas of wall. I understand that there are probably underlying reasons that orange clad men are inactive for seemingly long periods but it looks odd to see no work being carried out so often.

These are going to be 'civils' guys rather than us NR 'railway' people! We are two very different breeds indeed!

The reasons for the periods of inactivity can be varied and without seeing or knowing what it is they are actually doing there at the moment from the comfort of a keyboard, it would be inappropriate for me to judge.

The one fundamental difference though between real 'railway work' par se, (sleepers, rails etc)  and civils activities tends to be that with the former, that clock never stops going round but the latter, maybe slightly less so! ;)

Could they perhaps be relying on very few windows of opportunity between train movements or maybe the tide?

Edited- my colleague Mr M beat me to it! ;)

Edited by Gary H

These are going to be 'civils' guys rather than us NR 'railway' people! We are two very different breeds indeed!

The reasons for the periods of inactivity can be varied and without seeing or knowing what it is they are actually doing there at the moment from the comfort of a keyboard, it would be inappropriate for me to judge.

The one fundamental difference though between real 'railway work' par se, (sleepers, rails etc)  and civils activities tends to be that with the former, that clock never stops going round but the latter, maybe slightly less so! ;)

Could they perhaps be relying on very few windows of opportunity between train movements or maybe the tide?

Edited- my colleague Mr M beat me to it! ;)

Hi Gary, obviously walking along the beach at low water and going to Dawlish by train most days I observe the work and non work periods and can easily make 2+2=5. And equally there was probably a very good reason that on Tuesday I observed 7-8 sat, stood, chatting in the sun when I passed outward along the beach at 2.45 and back at 3.40. In that time I went to Sprey Point and back. I only saw 2 security guys in that period and along that section of wall.

I guess there are a plethora of reasons that the ongoing sites of work I observed that day could not be worked on that afternoon

BUT

to the casual observer/holiday maker/beach walker it looks strange to see that work remains to be done but isnt being done.

Perhaps there is a perfectly logical explanation. The front of Teignmouth station has recently been repainted by a different company than did the platforms (SISK Rail). Along with the roof, canopy etc the canopy supports were all painted, EXCEPT 2, these were then painted at night by a different crew (probably SISK) and were photographed at 22.45 when I passed. Intriguing to say the least!

If they're yellow, they ain't ours...

You can't get as much done with trains running, so you need fewer staff. There are sufficient staff on site to accomplish the jobs that need doing, and in the planned timescales. If you were able to view the cliffs near Smugglers Cove, you'd probably see lots of abseilers working away strengthening the cliffs there. Apart from the on-going preparations for the raising of the walkway at Sea Lawn Terrace, this is the main worksite. Work has also been underway at the Sprey Point ramp.

Cap'n, up to Sprey Point the largest job remaining is the incline, well away from trains. Yes the abseilers are doing a great job stil and at last the traffic lights have gone on Dawlish Road.

Yellow was used sarcasticallyto differentiate from your magnificent orange army. It seems the yellow army are scared of work!

• Like 1

Dawlish town seawall is  open to the south as far as Coryton Cove

then the south west coast path is open to Teignmouth ( inland)

from Dawlish Viaduct the seawall is open to the north as far as the old Lifeboat house

from there the footpath takes you over the foot bridge up onto Exeter Road

you can go back down a path by  Rockstone House Flats

over the next footbridge back down on to  the sea wall, from where you can walk to Dawlish warren

The section of the seawall walk between the two foot bridges is still closed off 

but care is needed on most of the sea wall

when as today, the sea is rough & the tide is high,

it is too dangerous to walk certain sections

so it is wise to have a tide table

I received this today within a Newsletter from one of our local prospective Parliamentary candidates:-

Rail Line Report

This week Network Rail published a major report setting out the options for ensuring the future resilience of rail services west of Exeter.

The report was commissioned following the coastal railway at Dawlish being closed earlier in the year after the severe storms that hit South Devon in early February. The severing of this link meant no trains could pass between Newton Abbot and Exeter, effectively isolating South Devon and Cornwall from the national network.

The report suggests a number of choices ranging from tunneling under Haldon or major reinforcement of the current route to reinstating lines closed in the Beeching Era.

Edginswell Station on Track,

Whilst talking about trains there was good news for plans to build a new station at Edginswell as the final piece of funding was secured from the government last week.

The scheme will cost up to £3m and the new £0.6m funding from the Growth Deal announced last week will add to the funding already secured via the Local Transport Board. I know my colleague Cllr Robert Excell and the Mayor of Torbay Gordon Oliver have been heavily involved with the work to secure this investment.

The new station will consist of two platforms, a footbridge with stairs and ramps, and it will have pedestrian access to both Riviera Way (linking to Brown’s Bridge Road) and Newton Road.  Design work is progressing and a planning application is expected next year.

Yet the big issue now is what to call it and the Council is inviting residents to make their suggestions. This will be the first time in decades a new station has been opened in our area and its name is something that will be seen on network maps across the country.

I have my own thoughts, but do tell the Council yours by e-mailing them to transportation@torbay.gov.uk

Thought it would be of interest to those who've followed progress in Dawlish.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

I've asked my colleagues and am waiting for an update.

I think the people of Teignmouth should just march on the wall and retake it from the hands of the inneficient.

We'll fight them on the beach, on the incline and on Sprey Point. We will take our wall back!

edit retake

Edited by lightengine

I think the people of Teignmouth should just march on the wall and retake it from the hands of the inneficient.

We'll fight them on the beach, on the incline and on Sprey Point. We will take our wall back!

edit retake

sounds a harsh way to start the beach party      :jester:

Civil disobedience with a touch of anarchy is the only way to get our wall back from the grips of the (seemingly) non working yellow army.

Next they will move on Parliament Square and occupy that!

The good people of Dawlish plied the Orange army with pasties and soon moved them on.

• RMweb Gold

Civil disobedience with a touch of anarchy is the only way to get our wall back from the grips of the (seemingly) non working yellow army.

Anyone wearing yellow isn't working for Network Rail, not directly in terms of repairing the wall.

NR is expediting the work as quickly as possible, bearing in mind the fact that the work on the cliffs (which is what is holding up the reopening of that section) cannot be rushed. A longer lasting fix to the major issue of cliff falls is far more preferable than short-term walking-along-the-wall pleasures, even though it is (unfortunately) now the tourist season.

Can we all please take my word for it that those managing the repairs are very well aware of the public's wish to regain access to that part of the walkway, they are not dragging things out just for the fun of it.

• Like 6

Hi Granitechops,

Just found this on you tube, build yourself one and have fun on the rough ground:-

If you use the links you can probably find many variations on a theme.

Best wishes,

Les.

My dear lady who rides tandem behind didn't think much of my idea of a FORKLIFT on the FRONT

so I think the idea  of a grab above her head would be a NO-NO   :no:   :no:  :no:    :nono:

• Like 3